Looking at WY public land DIY mule deer/antelope combo

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys,
My brother and i are busting to come over next year from Australia for a hunt for antelope and muleys.

First up I want to say we aren't greedy, we don't want to come expecting monsters, anything we shoot will be a wall hanger and going straight to the taxidermist. But we do have goals. Hoping for an antelope around 12" and a muley each pushin 140".
Again we're happy with te experience and what we can get though.
We don't have any points at this stage so will buy one in te next month to start and then next year supplement that with a special tag (I think that's what it's called).
I've been trawling through the internet looking at where to go and I think for a pronghorn were going to try for one of the units around Gillette. But for muleys I'm still unsure.

In Australia were both what I would consider good hunters especially in spot/stalk style hunters as well as doing some guiding here and I'm confident if we're in the right spots we'll find em. and as we're young and fit (will be 23 and 24 next year) we are happy to do whatever walking it takes.

I've looked at regions G,H and F but still insure. Can anyone recommend some spots where we stand a decent chance with connecting on some decent muleys and drawing with one point and a special tag thing. Again don't have to be monsters just want to see a few deer and hopefully get a crack at a couple of nice bucks.

Please either pm me here or email me at [email protected] in return for good information I'm happy to point you in the direction of red, fallow and sambar spots to try in Australia and some good tahr, chamois and sika blocks in NZ that has both public and balloted options.

We aren't rich at all an my savings for this trip will be starting in the next month and it's not goin to be an everyday thing travelling half way around the world to do a hunt so we want it to be as good as possible so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what can we do with the meat? Well likely chew down on some backstraps but realistically we won't be able to use all the meat so is there a hunters for the hungry type thing over there or if anyone off this forum would like some we'd be happy to donate.

Thank you very much in advance,

Regards,

Jack

OP
JPHuntingAUS

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Should add, my brother doesn't bow or BP hunt so we're looking at a rifle hunt.

Jack

There isn't a lot of public land around Gillette, or anywhere in the NE corner of Wyoming for that matter. I don't know if that's an issue for you? A 12" antelope buck in Wyoming is absolutely no issue at all. I don't think 14-15" is unreasonable.

For both antelope and deer, I think I'd look more to the middle part of the state.

Good luck, Wyoming is a very cool place.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you guys have a plan if the weather turns nasty? Most places can require chains to get around and you'll probably need some heat in your shelter to help dry your equipment out.

OP
JPHuntingAUS

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Well probably just hire chains regardless just in case. Hadn't thought about heat, can't imagine it being any worse than this years diy tahr hunt in the southern alps freezing and wet for a week with no way of gettin dry!

LJ Buck

WKR
I would call the Game and Fish office this area you are thinking about. Talk to the local Game Warden, they can help you out.

LaHunter

WKR
I would recommend getting a subscription to Eastman's Hunting Journal. There is some real good info in there and on the web site about the different units in western states, especially WY. This info can guide you in the right direction for what you are looking for. Public access is something you really need to be aware of in WY.

Good Luck

OP
JPHuntingAUS

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys,

Lj buck I agree, it's just hard with the time difference, I need to call at 1am my time to catch you guys the morning before

Lahunter - I'll look into eastmans thank you for that.