Looking at a Mathews V3 - 27" vs 31"

Who has one and what are your thoughts? Shot one today and liked it, but I haven't shot a new bow in a long time so don't have a great frame of reference.

I've been shooting a Mathews DXT for close to 15 years now, it has served me well, but I'm getting the itch for an upgrade.

I believe the DXT is in-between the 27 and 31 size wise... I never struggled to shoot the DXT and have been pretty accurate with it - are people happy with the 27, do people prefer the 31?

Game will be elk, whitetail/mule deer, and maybe the occasional antelope.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
Unless you are hunting mostly out of tree stands and ground blinds you would be better off with the 31. Chris Bee shoots the 27 incredibly well, however he is probably the exception. I suppose it would work for you if you have a 27 inch or less draw length. Either way it would be a great upgrade though.

OP
rileybassman
Unless you are hunting mostly out of tree stands and ground blinds you would be better off with the 31. Chris Bee shoots the 27 incredibly well, however he is probably the exception. I suppose it would work for you if you have a 27 inch or less draw length. Either way it would be a great upgrade though.
Ok cool... I'm 5'7" and shoot a 28" draw if that helps.

It's what you are accustomed to. I like longer bows, but I know some bigger guys that can shoot the 27.5 or 28 really well. They shoot taller bows a little better, but it's surprising how well they can shoot what seems like a slingshot.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I have the vxr 28 and I'm looking to buy a longer ata bow.. out to 40 I shoot it fine. But l like to shoot out to 100 for fun . I shoot 29 inch draw but I prefer 32 to 34 ata.. The shorter bow just isn't as easy to shoot for me at longer ranges

OP
rileybassman
Ok cool - good to hear both sides... I'm pretty good with my DXT which is a 29 3/4... I like the compact size and am curious if it would functionally be closer to the 27 or the 31...

Well the DXT was a single cam, fair amount difference in function.

But the outward attributes of axle length and string angle, it's going to be more like the 27.5. The new V3 has honking big cams on it, changes the bow a bit to handle like a longer ata, plus the long riser.

So if you are looking for a closer to size replacement, the 27.5 would be it. Understand that it's a different animal now. Shorter brace, fair amount more speed/energy. Still a relatively easy shooter for most people.

When asking a preference between the two, I definitely prefer the longer. But that's an individual thing. It's going to come down to how you are really going to use it.

Vandy321

WKR
Im 5'10"...I shoot a 28" Triax and love it...it's lights out. 27.5" draw length, id think the string angle would be too steep with anything over 28.5" draw or so for a proper anchor points (nose without dipping head). I love the short ATA though, snags on less sh*t in the woods too.

Zac

WKR
I'd go ahead and shoot the 31 before I made a decision. I believe the longer one is going to be smoother drawing if that matters to you.

OP
rileybassman
Well thanks for the tips everyone... I shot the 27 and 31 side by side for about 30 mins and went with the 31.

The 27 is super still in hand at the shot... The actual shot almost feels smoother, but the draw is a touch more aggressive and I did notice the stability difference at full draw.

The 31 all dolled up is a little heavier then my DXT, which sorta surprised me, but first 50 or so shots and it feels good. I changed arrows as well so it's an entirely new set up so will have a bit of a learning curve.

Thanks for the advise - now gotta shoot it in and get all sighted in.

Reactions: Zac

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I currently am shooting a V3 but my draw length is 25.5. As a smaller framed guy I have always preferred the handling of bows under 30 ATA personally.

OP
rileybassman
Liking the bow quite a bit so far... I shot it side by side with my DXT today and it's quite an improvement in feel and performance.

I have the V3 set to 65 lbs. With a 28" draw it is shooting 10 fps faster then the DXT set to 70 lbs with 450 grain arrow and with a hair longer feeling draw (says 28" but feels a hair longer).

I'm getting 276 fps average with a 435 grain arrow and 270 with the 450 grain arrow right now.

So far so good :)

One interesting note, I feel like the V3 got substantially smoother in draw going from 70 - 65lbs FWIW.

Last edited:
Liking the bow quite a bit so far... I shot it side by side with my DXT today and it's quite an improvement in feel and performance.

I have the V3 set to 65 lbs. With a 28" draw it is shooting 10 fps faster then the DXT set to 70 lbs with 450 grain arrow and with a hair longer feeling draw (says 28" but feels a hair longer).

I'm getting 276 fps average with a 435 grain arrow and 270 with the 450 grain arrow right now.

So far so good :)

One interesting note, I feel like the V3 got substantially smoother in draw going from 70 - 65lbs FWIW.

It's pretty standard for the Mathews to measure min 3/8" long anymore. I order them 1/2" short.

I was deciding between the Matthews V3 & Hoyt Ventum 30. I was leaning towards the Matthew shooting both off the shelf. I went back the next day and had the tech set both the V3 and Ventum at the exact same draw weight and let off. The Matthews felt way harder to draw back. Both after shot felt the same. Went with the Hoyt and have been loving it. It is a bit slower, but still fast as heck. Dead Quiet also, received compliments last night at 3D shoot on how quiet it is.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 27 and I’ve shot it a lot. My draw is 29 and I will say that the string angle can be pretty severe. I love my bow but I can see how a longer bow could be more comfortable/accurate for the average archer. Also the engage grip is trash so I’d throw that out as soon as I got it.

OP
rileybassman
I have a 27 and I’ve shot it a lot. My draw is 29 and I will say that the string angle can be pretty severe. I love my bow but I can see how a longer bow could be more comfortable/accurate for the average archer. Also the engage grip is trash so I’d throw that out as soon as I got it.
That was the biggest thing I noticed shooting the 27 and 31 back to back... Wasn't so much the stability (tho a short indoor range is hard to tell and there was a difference) but it was the string angle. I really did like the 27 tho and it felt "deader" in hand at the shot. The 31 was smoother, and dropping it to 65 made it way smoother... Almost like a different bow.

mwebs

WKR
I went with the 27 after shooting a Z7 for years. I don’t think it’s only function is blinds and stands, having a smaller bow is plenty useful in the elk woods. I don’t see any stability or other issues and love shooting it. Shot the vxrs last year and both the 31 and 27. Have a 28 inch draw, don’t notice the string angle. I also always shoot the new hoyts and can imagine buying one of those. 🤪

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the 27 after shooting a Z7 for years. I don’t think it’s only function is blinds and stands, having a smaller bow is plenty useful in the elk woods. I don’t see any stability or other issues and love shooting it. Shot the vxrs last year and both the 31 and 27. Have a 28 inch draw, don’t notice the string angle. I also always shoot the new hoyts and can imagine buying one of those. 🤪
It’s just industry garbage to justify releasing multiple new models every year nothing more. Advertising works.

Last edited: