Longbow or recurve?

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Last summer I Started shooting my black hunter takedown. I have 35lb limbs and have been shooting recently out to 20 yards. I would love to hunt with a trad bow but do not know if/ when I should consider increasing my draw weight? I shoot weekly and have been shooting a lot more often recently.

I also feel like the riser is pretty bulky for me personally and might look at a few different options for something that’s higher quality towards the end of the year. Something that “feels” better.

I shoot 60lb in my compound but I’ve got 85% let off if that even matters for reference.

Built my own arrows for my recurve (and compound for that matter). Here is what works for me currently. Sirius Trad Star 500 spine - 30.5” - 100 grain SS insert - 200 grain point weight. It’s 60” and upgraded to TTT strings after a month with the stock strings.

Sorry to hijack OP. Looking for recommendations from the veterans who chimed in.

Lentuk

FNG
I started bowhunting in 1992 with a Hoyt compound. A good friend gave me a Damon Howatt hunter 50 pound recurve and I thought how nice it was not to have to deal with all the wheels, cables, sights and mechanical do da.
I have been through too many stick bows to remember since then but I now hunt with a "hybrid" reflex deflex longbow as they were called, I have several ILF bows and a cool Warf bow I built using an old Hoyt billet riser with DAS ILF limb pockets.
The hybrid longbow is much easier for me to use in a hunting environment, I am also able to wing shoot with a longbow.
027.jpg

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Ended up going with a Hoyt satori. I like it a lot but some day I will get a one piece. I only got this strictly for travel convenience if I were traveling with my compound also.

Medium 45# limbs and 19” riser. Built some arrows up and it’s been fun to shoot so far. Ordered a string from TTT strings as well.

Last edited:

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Maybe for Xmas I’ll get a one piece long bow or recurve. Anyone have hesitation on the bear Kodiak?

AKnatv907

FNG
I started bowhunting in 1992 with a Hoyt compound. A good friend gave me a Damon Howatt hunter 50 pound recurve and I thought how nice it was not to have to deal with all the wheels, cables, sights and mechanical do da.
I have been through too many stick bows to remember since then but I now hunt with a "hybrid" reflex deflex longbow as they were called, I have several ILF bows and a cool Warf bow I built using an old Hoyt billet riser with DAS ILF limb pockets.
The hybrid longbow is much easier for me to use in a hunting environment, I am also able to wing shoot with a longbow.
View attachment 746352
Awesome looking setups!

Kentucky

WKR
There is no bad answer… finding what works for you the best will be a fun journey… if a bow/riser/limbs aren’t working for you, don’t be afraid to try something new…

RedRidge

WKR
I think once you find a longbow you shoot well it’s hard not to grab it based off weight/nimbleness alone. I enjoy both though.

Hi all!

If you had only one bow for traditional archery/bowhunting, would it be a longbow or a recurve? I want to get into trad archery and am a bit torn. From your experience, is there a noticeable advantage in noise on the longbow side or in speed in the recurve side that would make you lean towards one or the other for hunting? I guess I’ll end up with a 60-62“ bow with around 50 lbs @ 29“ and will still be hunting with my compound parallel to the trad bow. What would you do?

Thanks in advance!
I do the same thing but I need to just pick one.

TaperPin

WKR
Long bows don’t get mentioned much! Love it.

I had to chuckle when a video surfaced of some anthropologists that found a Roman-era town with a number of skeletons with similar defects. Half their upper bodies had bones of different thicknesses. Turned out it was from lifetimes of shooting heavy long bows. Lol

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
Always preferred my recurve but recently bought a takedown longbow and it is much more comfortable to shoot. I've been getting a really sharp pain in my shoulder when pulling back the recurve but not the longbow. Haven't shot the longbow enough to use it instead of the recurve this year, but I am guessing I'll be making the switch next season if the shoulder pain doesn't go away.