Long shots

Anyone care to boast about their best or longest shot?

My best was a coyote at approximately 800 yards with a 270. 270 drops roughly 11 feet at 800 yards. A hail Mary for sure. Dog was on a dry lake bed. I tried to get back on target looking through the scope, a couple seconds later I lifted my head and the dog had vanished. I've shot ducks that I never saw, only heard the take off and flipped around and shot where it should be based off the sound. I've shot a quail that was 6" off my muzzle. Everything above the lower beak was gone. I used a Mossberg with a full choke to hunt ducks one day. 5 shots 5 birds. Closest shot was 50 yards longest a ways farther than that. Folks at the other end of the pond were amazed, I didn't tell them I was just as surprised.

OP
W
I mean, ive shot a 450"+ class bull at 2400 yards before, in my dreams.
My guns never work in my dreams, or I'm too afraid to pull the trigger because I know I'm in my house. That is how deeply engrained my gun safety is.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Anyone care to boast about their best or longest shot?

My best was a coyote at approximately 800 yards with a 270. 270 drops roughly 11 feet at 800 yards. A hail Mary for sure. Dog was on a dry lake bed. I tried to get back on target looking through the scope, a couple seconds later I lifted my head and the dog had vanished. I've shot ducks that I never saw, only heard the take off and flipped around and shot where it should be based off the sound. I've shot a quail that was 6" off my muzzle. Everything above the lower beak was gone. I used a Mossberg with a full choke to hunt ducks one day. 5 shots 5 birds. Closest shot was 50 yards longest a ways farther than that. Folks at the other end of the pond were amazed, I didn't tell them I was just as surprised.
Well, this explains the visitors who shoot our horses up the Greys every year.

“I never saw that Elk, just heard it neigh and flipped around and shot where it should be based on the sound.”

-J

Best on an animal: 400 yard shot from my tripod, while I sat on a rock, across a canyon to drop a coues deer in its tracks. It was validation that I really needed at the time that the gear I chose would work and my long range shooting would pay off.

Best on a target: I had a first round hit on a 10" plate at 1200 yards in my first long range class which was exciting and got me hooked. I am absolutely not claiming I could repeat that even now though.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Rested on a fence post and shot a coyote at 500 paces (no range finder but I walked out to him doing the leg stretch walk and counting) hearing that thud was satisfying.

ManBun

FNG
Best/Luckiest shot for me was at a friends cabin, I was helping open his road in the spring from the winter of a bunch of blown down trees. I had a spring turkey tag in my pocket but no shotgun or even thought of hunting them during that weekend. Get back to friends cabin after working, to have a beer, and while sitting there here is a gobbler 100-125 yards away on the hill. Said, “do you have a shotgun in the cabin”, buddy says no but he has a Henry lever action 357 mag and some FMJ bullets. So came the “hold my beer and watch the s**t” from the porch, free hand, open sights, I never shot before level action, shot the head off this turkey at roughly 100-125 yards. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good!

OP
W
Well, this explains the visitors who shoot our horses up the Greys every year.

“I never saw that Elk, just heard it neigh and flipped around and shot where it should be based on the sound.”

-J
Well, assumptions are just that. Your assumption makes an ass of you and me. Walking a ditch bank and having ducks take off behind you is a bit different than shooting blindly into bushes. I expected a smart ass comment, this is the internet after all.

Zebra at 511 yds and a small black bear at 407. Not to proud since both required follow up shots. Best ever experience was 3 consecutive shots on a steel plate at 1000yds with a group size of roughly 9”. Same gun used on the zebra and bear.

OP
W
My max on game animals is about 450. My hold overs are dead nuts up to 300. At 350-400 hold on the line of their back. 450, just a touch of daylight between cross hairs and the back. Any farther and I am not confident enough to shoot. I hate wasting meat and wounding animals. I don't do much if any practice shooting. Just make sure it's hitting where it should. Coyotes I'll take a poke at any distance

BobBob

FNG
Longest shot on animal was my Bighorn Sheep at 426 yards. Best long range shooting was little under 1/2 moa 3 shoot group at 800 yards and some change lol fully admit with holding off for wind and changing winds that it could have just been random chance/luck but I'm counting it!

huntnful

WKR
Buck - 974 yards
Buck - 840 yards
Buck - 630 yards
Aoudad - 605 yards
Buck - 540 yards
A half dozen coyotes between 400-525 yards
Elk - 475
Aoudad - 474 yards
Buck - 425 yards

The more I shoot long range, the less I want to hunt long range. It's not all it's cracked up to be. You better be able to spot your impacts, and make a fast follow up shot. Because more than likely, you're going to need it. Just the hard truth that no one wants to talk about that is a "long range" hunter. I'll still drop a bomb if need be, and face the consequences if there are any, but it is the LAST resort.

Superx3

FNG
880yards on a coyote that just happened to trot by my steel plate and stop to sniff for a few seconds to long. It was cold bore but I had just shot the plate the afternoon before.

IDVortex

WKR
The more I shoot long range, the less I want to hunt long range. It's not all it's cracked up to be. You better be able to spot your impacts, and make a fast follow up shot. Because more than likely, you're going to need it. Just the hard truth that no one wants to talk about that is a "long range" hunter. I'll still drop a bomb if need be, and face the consequences if there are any, but it is the LAST reresort.
So not a LR shooter or hunter, but working on it. But now reading researching more and more, I want to shoot game no more then 500-600 yards, but i want to shoot long range of over 1k. Because reading and listening to guys who do it, dang. I don't have the time to be that good. I want to be good at 500ish, but I'm content not being a LR hunter.

huntnful

WKR
So not a LR shooter or hunter, but working on it. But now reading researching more and more, I want to shoot game no more then 500-600 yards, but i want to shoot long range of over 1k. Because reading and listening to guys who do it, dang. I don't have the time to be that good. I want to be good at 500ish, but I'm content not being a LR hunter.
Honestly, it's fairly easy to get a setup that is capable of 1000 yards killing precision. Decent accuracy and reliable scope and rings is all you need.

It's reading the wind, having not optimal stability/torque input into the rifle in field conditions and adrenaline that will screw you at long range. Especially in field conditions.

Just 2 days ago, I went out for some testing. Same place I always shoot. Totally calm nerves. Slight wind from the left, but I thought it was blowing stronger across the draw based on the mirage. Missed center by 9". Held too much wind by about 2 MPH. That shit happens ALL THE TIME. And I'm just shooting on a flat range and always make a good effort to make a good first shot.

IDVortex

WKR
Honestly, it's fairly easy to get a setup that is capable of 1000 yards killing precision. Decent accuracy and reliable scope and rings is all you need.

It's reading the wind, having not optimal stability/torque input into the rifle in field conditions and adrenaline that will screw you at long range. Especially in field conditions.

Just 2 days ago, I went out for some testing. Same place I always shoot. Totally calm nerves. Slight wind from the left, but I thought it was blowing stronger across the draw based on the mirage. Missed center by 9". Held too much wind. That shit happens ALL THE TIME. And I'm just shooting on a flat range and always make a good effort to make a good first shot.
Your 2nd sentence simplifies why I don't want to shoot animals at that distances.

Not that I can't, or I may not one day. Bit to get to that point will be a long time, and even then. It'll be something I can setup on, calm down on, and take the time to do it. If I rush it, I rounded a animals that is now 1000+ yards away running further and probably into a area I didn't want to go into the first place.

huntnful

WKR
Your 2nd sentence simplifies why I don't want to shoot animals at that distances.

Not that I can't, or I may not one day. Bit to get to that point will be a long time, and even then. It'll be something I can setup on, calm down on, and take the time to do it. If I rush it, I rounded a animals that is now 1000+ yards away running further and probably into a area I didn't want to go into the first place.
That's exactly what can happen. Even if you take all the time in the world and validated your data 100 different times.