Long range rifle scope- march vs razor vs Mk5hd

OP
E

Ewad3

FNG
I've had some Gen 2 Razors and the little Mark 5. I'll say to get anything comparable from NF you need to be looking at their ATACR series. The 4-16x42 is the only one that will meet your weight goal. I've had a couple of those baby ATACRs and I think that stack up well with the Mk5 & G2Rs.

The reputation of finicky parallax and tight eyebox of the 3-24 March makes me a bit hesitant to try them out (plus resale kinda sucks). The 4.5-28 high master sounds to be the much better optic, but mounting might be a PITA if you are using a long action. March just recently announced the FFP versions of their 1.5-15, which might interest you. The short length might make mounting a PITA on this one as well.

If you can bump your weight goal a little, you might look at the Kahles k525i (had that one for a bit, but the DLR would be the one to pick nowadays), the ZCO 420 (have that one), or maybe an S&B 3-20 US (haven't had that one). The 3-15 Tangent (I have that one) doesn't have the upper magnification that you want, but it's definitely useable beyond 1,100 yards. The Tangent will be the most expensive, and it may not have the "value" you're looking for.

Of all those options or anything that's been mentioned in this thread by anyone, the ZCO 420 is the way to go IMO if you can swing it monetarily and slightly bump up your weight goal.
High master definitely seems like it checks my boxes, and I hadn’t come across it before. Fortunately the 7ss is a short action so I could probably make it work. Thank you!

Wright406

WKR
I'll throw an oddball in. Maven RS.1 with the added 100$ turret to dial. Can engage targets put to 1200 yards and I've had good luck with one in the past. Under your weight requirement and affordable. Great glass.

High master definitely seems like it checks my boxes, and I hadn’t come across it before. Fortunately the 7ss is a short action so I could probably make it work. Thank you!
I have a March FX 4.5-28 and it really is an awesome scope, unfortunately it won't mount correctly on my integral base LA that I just bought.. Sadly I'll probably have to sell it

Have you been behind a 4-32? Eye box is not an issue and is overblown on the forums. It’s too much magnification for me, but I used one for a season and didn’t struggle with it at all in field positions, and obviously not on a range.
I had one
And no it's not overblown

OP
E

Ewad3

FNG
I have a March FX 4.5-28 and it really is an awesome scope, unfortunately it won't mount correctly on my integral base LA that I just bought.. Sadly I'll probably have to sell it
Man that sucks. However… I may be interested if you do decide to sell it.

ID_Matt

WKR
The competition world is not demanding at all. I see shooters checking and correcting their zeros at matches all the time while telling their buddies how great their scope is.

I mentioned before that many of my friends who compete (some very elite) still swear by the Mark 5 and win a lot of matches with them. I'm not saying they won't work. I personally have more confidence that Nightforce scopes will hold zero, so I recommend them.

Remember that many shooters also shoot various Vortex scopes that don't hold zero. You still see a pile at every competition, though, because half the field of shooters can get a deal on them, and the other half thinks they are getting good advice from the first half...
I was talking with some friends about this the other day. Seems nightforce is maybe getting less popular in PRS than it was in years past. The last match i went to I would guess was 60-70% leupold and vortex. The remaining were zco and kahles. Not sure I saw a single nightforce which blows my mind. Seems most competition guys talk about reticle and clarity as the main attributes. Durability doesn't get brought up too much or holding zero, as you mentioned everyone checks zero before a match. FWIW I was squadded with 2 of the best shooters in the country at a match last year, both shooting mark 5's. Both of them were a little late the first morning and would not shoot the first stage without checking zero for fear of losing zero after driving a couple hundred miles. My comp gun has a mark 5 but my hunting guns are nightforce/trijicon.

fwafwow

WKR
I was talking with some friends about this the other day. Seems nightforce is maybe getting less popular in PRS than it was in years past. The last match i went to I would guess was 60-70% leupold and vortex. The remaining were zco and kahles. Not sure I saw a single nightforce which blows my mind. Seems most competition guys talk about reticle and clarity as the main attributes. Durability doesn't get brought up too much or holding zero, as you mentioned everyone checks zero before a match. FWIW I was squadded with 2 of the best shooters in the country at a match last year, both shooting mark 5's. Both of them were a little late the first morning and would not shoot the first stage without checking zero for fear of losing zero after driving a couple hundred miles. My comp gun has a mark 5 but my hunting guns are nightforce/trijicon.
I don’t know anyone who shoots PRS, so this is a serious question. For those who do, or know someone who does, is it possible a PRS shooter uses one brand of scope for PRS, and another for hunting?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t know anyone who shoots PRS, so this is a serious question. For those who do, or know someone who does, is it possible a PRS shooter uses one brand of scope for PRS, and another for hunting?
That's true for some shooters. Others use the same scopes for both, including Vortex and Leupold.

I don't think a high percentage of shooters/hunters actually think there is something wrong with their scope when it loses zero slightly. I grew up thinking it was normal for a rifle to require zeroing before every hunt. Even within the last few years, I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Now, due to some of the testing that @Formidilosus does and has shared with us, I am becoming more aware of a problem I didn't even realize before.

I think we will see more and more companies building better scopes due to Form and Rokslide making noise about these failures.

Clark33

WKR
Glass clarity in comps does carry a bit more weight due to shooter having to spot their impacts.

And it’s nice if you hunt solo.

ID_Matt

WKR
Definitely possible. I see it both ways. If a guy shoots zco or mark 5, good odds that is what is on his hunting gun too. I use a mark 5 for comps and trijicon/nightforce for hunting.

Flyjunky

WKR
FWIW I was squadded with 2 of the best shooters in the country at a match last year, both shooting mark 5's. Both of them were a little late the first morning and would not shoot the first stage without checking zero for fear of losing zero after driving a couple hundred miles.
Do people usually show up and not shoot before a match starts? Or just the leupold and vortex guys check their rifles first?

ID_Matt

WKR
Thanks.

I know nothing of prs other than what I’ve read so I’ve wondered how much do shooters dial during a match?
A ton. Most days are 10 stages with sometimes as many as 5 targets per stage. Most guys dial each target unless they need to move fast, then they'll dial the first and hold over the remaining.