"Long Range" Open Sight Setup

What's up all. I just wanted to share a DIY dialable rear sight option that I fashioned a few months back that can be mounted on a pic rail on your rig. I do quite a bit of muzzy hunting (both open and scoped in several states) and last year I picked up a CVA Paramount Pro 45 and moved my Knight Ultralite 50 into the backup role. As everyone knows the Revic is one of the few games in town in regards to a pic mounted dial peep and though I do have one on order, I wanted to see if I could make something out of my Williams I had laying around from my Ultralite. I put a scope on the Paramount regularly and didn't want to constantly pull the rail off, so I picked up a mini red dot pic plate and drilled and tapped it and mounted the Williams and it worked pretty damn good. The graduations on it were a little too fine for this flat shooting rig, but I shot to 300 very accurately no problem. The plate is from SwampFox and I run the Revic front sight, but you can definitely keep it cheaper with spacers. And I run extra powder, primers and bullet tubes in the mag of the chassis. Also can't recommend the Arrowhead Breach system enough if you run a Paramount. Hopefully someone finds this helpful. View attachment 601421View attachment 601422View attachment 601423View attachment 601422View attachment 601423View attachment 601426View attachment 601430View attachment 601432
Thats an awesome setup. What is the peep and hole size you have installed on the Williams.

Gun & load info is. CVA Paramount 50 cal.

Shooting Blackhorn 209 powder 115 grains by weight (~165 by volume).

CCI large rifle magnum primers.

This load shot both the Fury 320 gr. universals, and the 340 ELDx great. Shot both bullets out to 400 yards on target. If I had to choose just 1, my preferred bullet was probably the Fury.

I've since added Gehmann iris to my setup which is a variable aperture.....and AWESOME. 20231011_195152.jpg20231011_195146.jpg20231011_195235.jpg

And....this is super slick. I made a wedge (this is version 1.0 my current one is steeper) that has known distances scribed on the wedge. I insert the wedge to the distance and let fly. I am currently good to just under 400 yds.Screenshot_20240606-192815_Gallery.jpg

Dang, you guys must have some excellent vision!

Just put an eabco peep rib and Williams front globe on my wolf. Looking at my archery deer target in the back…I think it’s maybe a 100 yard proposition unless something is standing in snow or otherwise very visible..

Just put an eabco peep rib and Williams front globe on my wolf. Looking at my archery deer target in the back…I think it’s maybe a 100 yard proposition unless something is standing in snow or otherwise very visible..
The variable aperture helps....a lot. This is with my hawken in the pic above.

I practiced on a paper target last year at 200 and was thinking I can barely see where I want to put this. Once I had an bull elk at that distance I felt fairly confident that I could put the sight right where I wanted to hit. I don't know about a deer at 200, I guess I would have to see what it looks like in the sight and go from there.

The variable aperture is so handy that my wife, who's never shot a peep or muzzleloader spanked a softball sized rock at 250 on her first shot with my hawken. I just set it up and told her to put everything in the middle of the middle.

The variable aperture is so handy that my wife, who's never shot a peep or muzzleloader spanked a softball sized rock at 250 on her first shot with my hawken. I just set it up and told her to put everything in the middle of the middle.
So as you spin the big dial it changes the aperture size?

Can you tell me the model number of the Gehmann iris you are using? Thanks

Back