Long-range deer?

Coues123

FNG
There are many ridges where we hunt that are 800 to 1700 yards apart. If you get on the same side of the ridge as the game, you will never see them.
We have made 4 multiple day trips into our hunting area since the first of February. Since the snow rarely pushes our game out of the area we can see what is still in our hunting areas and decide if we want to put in for them this year. We mark the best glassing positions and know what the best shooting position will be next to it.
Since nobody is out there we can shoot any new loads we developed at altitude and temperature. Easy to make accurate elevation dope. There are plenty of rocks to spot shots on. We may spend an entire morning in one location. The wind is going to blow and make enough changes to challenge your sanity. Do we get the wind wrong at 800-1700 yards, yes we do but that is what we are there for.
We take up to 4 rifles, about 40 rounds of ammo for each rifle, tripods, spotting scopes, rangefinders and 3 mules to pack it all.
I know this is not available to 90% of hunters. The best part is you have to shot in the conditions that present in hunting conditions.
Are we going to shoot game at 1700, no but it is good time when you get it right.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up hunting whitetails in a shotgun zone in Wisconsin. Back then, 75 yards seemed like a heck of a poke with a slug gun.

When it went rifles statewide, it opened up a whole different style of hunting where I could post up in an elevated box blind at the edge of a large field and cover the whole thing.

While most of my shots have been under 150 yards, my longest at this point is 303. I have the benefit of being able to take a shot while they are relaxed and feeding, have time to get a good wind call, and can rest the rifle on the windowsill on an Armageddon Gear bag.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
75 with a slug is one long shot for me
I started off with an open sight, smoothbore 870 shooting normal rifled slugs, and 50 yards was about as far as I’d shoot it back then. I later got a BPS with a rifled cantilever mount barrel shooting sabots and have a 1.5-5 on it and I was comfortable to 100 yards with that.

Definitely changed when I could bring my .308 or 6.5CM.

I hunt in AZ. I have taken 4 deer in the last 5 years. All were coues deer. I shot them at the following distances.
720yds
546yds
991yds
341yds

I use a 300wm with 200gr eldx. Can glass deer up a mile or two out. I enjoy long range hunting. I am sure there will be many haters for those distances which is fine. All the above kills were 1 shot kills the 341 was a head shot.

I will say most hunters I know keep it within 500 or less and a lot miss.

On a calm day I am confident out to 1000yds. On a windy day I do not shoot far.

Here is a pic of the head shot, shot in its bed. View attachment 533950View attachment 533952

Just curious.

Why would you shoot at a deer's head at 341 yards?

It boils down to the individual and situation. I wouldn’t call myself anything more than a good shooter who practices, and over time am learning my limits. Having the right gear helps, but knowing how to use your gear is what matters. I’ll regularly practice around the 800-1000yd mark with my hunting rifle and am now automatic on 600yd kill shots up through a light wind. Anything more and I’ll start scaling back a bit. Having a wind cheater of a rifle helps in the wind call error department out to 500 or so yards, but you need to know what your rifle is capable of. I’ve called dope for friends that have made great shots at long range, but when practicing on steel I make them do the homework themselves and it’s always off. Just because you have an accurate rifle at a known distance, doesn’t mean that’s the distance you can shoot an animal at.

I have hunting areas where I can get anywhere from 100yds out to 1000. I try to get 600yds or closer. Some areas yiu cant get any closer than 500-600 and have a good stable prone shooting position. You risk blowing out the animal or working with a less than ideal rest setup. For me and my capabilities, I’m taking that 600yd prone shot all day if the conditions allow.

Do many people out west really shoot deer or other game at 600+ yards?

I don't. Don't have the need to try ridiculous shots like that (my opion). I get greater satisfaction from trying to get as close as possible, preferably under 200 yards. For me it's much sweeter to say that I spied a big bull elk at 1,000 yds and then stalked in to within 80 yds of him to make the shot, than to say that I smoked his ass at 800 yards.

I can see both sides, I like the aspect of sneaking up close and personal on something sure. I also know the rush of shooting something out 500+ yards, but day to day, I’d say getting closer is always better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honyock

WKR
The advancement of optics, new calibers, bullets, etc have not increased hunting skills. I'm still trying to figure out how my grandfather shot muleys and elk without a scope, rangefinder and technical hunting clothes.

Honest question. the guys taking the long shots at game are you watching them fall or having to try and find blood then track or know the general area "they should have died in" and then just walking it till you find them?

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up hunting whitetails in a shotgun zone in Wisconsin. Back then, 75 yards seemed like a heck of a poke with a slug gun.

When it went rifles statewide, it opened up a whole different style of hunting where I could post up in an elevated box blind at the edge of a large field and cover the whole thing.

While most of my shots have been under 150 yards, my longest at this point is 303. I have the benefit of being able to take a shot while they are relaxed and feeding, have time to get a good wind call, and can rest the rifle on the windowsill on an Armageddon Gear bag.
As a SE Wisconsin hunter, I sure wish it was back to shotgun only.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Guys who spend their lives hunting in the East, where short range is the norm, have a hard time envisioning shooting across canyons, at longer distances. With the advances in technology, repeatable scopes, great ammo, and the software programs to do the calculations, “600 is the new 400”, IMO.

It’s completely doable, with good equipment, good technique, and good conditions. Beyond 600 or so, the variables become much more critical, and an entire different level of skill and precision are needed.

I have made multiple one shot kills at 410, 460, 550, 720, 610 over the last few years, so I know it’s doable IF wind conditions are calm.

Macintosh

WKR
Honest question. the guys taking the long shots at game are you watching them fall or having to try and find blood then track or know the general area "they should have died in" and then just walking it till you find them?
Note: I am NOT one of those folks, I dont have the skill or time in places where I can practice to be comfortable taking those shots. But I will say that the opportunities Ive had where I passed a shot at longer range, or kept sneaking past a good spot to set up because it wasnt close enough for me (and then probably spooked it😐), have all been where I would have been able to see the animal for a good ways from where it was standing. In some cases it would have had to go a LOOONG way to go out of sight—totally different circumstances than I deal with hunting at home.

Note: I am NOT one of those folks, I dont have the skill or time in places where I can practice to be comfortable taking those shots. But I will say that the opportunities Ive had where I passed a shot at longer range, or kept sneaking past a good spot to set up because it wasnt close enough for me (and then probably spooked it😐), have all been where I would have been able to see the animal for a good ways from where it was standing. In some cases it would have had to go a LOOONG way to go out of sight—totally different circumstances than I deal with hunting at home.
Just wondering because I'm color blind. And I have a hell of a time finding blood sometimes when I shoot a deer at 200 yards with a rifle or 30 yards with a bow. I couldn't imagine trying to find blood from something I shot at 600+ yards

I took 3 deer this year all between 400-500 yards. All were broadside and I had a solid rest. All 3 were heart shots and the died exactly where they were standing.

rbaney

FNG
Not really a long range hunter, being as I live in Pennsylvania. But I do have shots that are around 250-300 yards from time to time. I have taken at least two Whitetails that were over 200 yards with one shot kills. One was my 8 point buck shot through the lungs so he went about 30 yards and piled up. Second was a good size doe that dropped right there. She actually fell so fast I didn't see it. Most of my shooting is 100 yards or less but I am fine with the occasional longer shot. The longer shots are normally due to shooting over hay field or corn fields.