Long in the tooth.....

rayporter

WKR
just 12 points, flat and close together, about and inch or inch and an eighth diameter. made for rolling not sticking. they are on a pair of crockett renalde angled bull riders now. makes it easy for my old legs to turn in to roll em. the crocketts were a gift from a college maiden. grinnnnnn.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
a case xx hunting knife my buddy gave me in high school.
it still makes every trip.
My parents gave me a Buck 110 folder with finger grooves for my birthday back in 1980. I used that thing on many deer and elk and fish, but pretty much retired it a few years ago and replaced it with an S30V blade knife that doesn't need to be sharpened in the middle of breaking down a bull. But you can sure tell that it's been sharpened many times over the years.

Buckman

WKR
Been more than a few years if its the Gerber Gator your talking about. I got one out of Cabelas bargain cave on your recommendation. its still in the package. Its been awhile.

Slumberjack -20* Holofill-II mummy bag purchased new from Gene Taylor's in Gunnison, CO in August, 1984 ($129 if I remember correctly). Dad was sick of me always complaining about always being cold sleeping so told me I had one shot to pick out a brand new bag of my choice from any on the rack on our way through in the cabover camper rig. Dad bought it for me on my 16th birthday on a scouting/fishing trip to that area.

Bag now has a few patches and is a bit worse for wear, permanent stains of archery facepaint at the head, might still smell like a batch of bad chili from 1998, but is still VERY warm and the bag of choice when needed for sleeping in the camp trailer (when too lazy to make a bed solo) or back of my truck. Gets washed once a year and dried with a couple of tennis balls in the dryer once every 5 years whether it needs it or not. Hate to wear it out by washing it too much.

Doesn't get used in backcountry tents anymore. Have a lighter weight option for that now (since 2018 LOL). I think there's even a photo of that bag in one of my first articles here on Rokslide.

Bag was the only one I owned as a kid, in college, when I lived 250 days a year in a wall tent doing forestry/logging for 15 years and many days hunting every year after that.

That bag has seen a whole ton of miles and outlived many a vehicle, and unfortunately a couple of hunting partners as well.

Almost got a lot blood on it though when a buddy asked what I was taking hunting one day and I said "just my hunting gear and the old bag". Little did I know my wife was standing directly behind me and didn't know I was referring to the Slumberjack, and not her! (Hell, I didn't even invite her on that trip.)

87TT

WKR
I have my father's guns which I grew up watching him use and his Cabelas Super Slam jacket from the earliy 90's which I will use every now and again
My dad quit hunting years ago and now is slipping into dementia. My mother gave me his old Marlin 3030 as well as his knife that I remember him carrying since forever. At least 60 years ago. I may throw it in the pack with Grandpa's just for sentimental reasons. Might break out the old 3030 too.

Richieber

FNG
My dad quit hunting years ago and now is slipping into dementia. My mother gave me his old Marlin 3030 as well as his knife that I remember him carrying since forever. At least 60 years ago. I may throw it in the pack with Grandpa's just for sentimental reasons. Might break out the old 3030 too.
Sorry to hear that, One of the guns handed down to me is a Marlin 30-30. I shot it at the range a year or so ago and the old Tasco scope from the 70's is still zeroed in. May be time for me to break it out for this upcoming deer season as well.

I bought my wife a pair of Cabela's Alaskan Guide boots 20 years ago. She does not hunt with me, but she does a whole lot of hiking. They need to be resoled, but the boots are still going strong, and will continue to for years to come.

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
I used my grandpa's 30-30 this year. It was bought in 64 and he never killed a buck with it. I killed a buck and a doe with it about 1 minute apart this year.

Still using the schrade fixed blade knife that my dad got me as a young teenager (late 90s)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a pair of Schnee's pacs that are approaching 30 years old, resoled twice and going to get their third this spring; looking at the uppers you'd never guess these boots are 30 years old (with a $hit ton of miles on them!)

A pair of Filson whipcord wool pants that are about as old, few minor repairs on them, but still work and look great.

A Winchester Featherweight in -06 that's a little older than the two items posted above (willed to me by my late father-in-law); it's getting ready for a major overhaul and update and headed to the Brooks Range in two years :D

22lr

WKR
Age wise, my 1963 Win model 70 in 30-06. Freaking love this rifle! Shoots pretty dang accurate, and has dropped a good number of deer and 2 Caribou in 2020. Hoping to get a moose this year! Its been my hunting rifle for 9 years, will be my rifle until I die and pass it down to my daughters.

As for gear I've owned/used the longest. I still use an ABU ECWS parka as my outer layer/rain coat. I think I got it 10 years ago now, and still going strong. Some years it hasn't seen much use, some years it gets a ton. But she is still holding up great, minus a little fading.

LooknWalk

FNG
My fixed blade Buck knife that my dad got me when I was 12.... so I've only been using it a little over a decade.

This fall I intend on using my Grandpa's Savage model 99 chambered in .300 Savage for deer hunting. He's been gone for 14 years and his rifle hasn't seen any use for close to 20 years so I'm going to change that!

Mosby

WKR
I still wear my uncle's LL Bean small game pants he bought in the 1970's. He fought on Saipan, Tinian and Okinawa. He never married or had kids but he and I were friends and I thought a lot of him. He came in once or twice a year to hunt and it was a big deal for me when I was a young kid. I have a lot of gear I can wear but the pants remind me of him and he's still hunting with me when I wear them. Weird way to honor the man.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been collecting and using guns and bows made the same year I was. 1968. Last year I killed a buck behind the house with a 68 Super Kodiak and a doe with the 68 Marlin 336. This year I took a nice buck in the PA state forest with my 68 Remington 760. I've also carried a Buck 116 from that time frame for more years than I can remember.

SonnyDay

WKR
Bought a North Face tent in 1992 that's still bomber. The zipper went out a few years back, so I sent it back to TNF and they replaced it for free. It's the Tadpole model, which I don't imagine they make anymore, but it would take me a lot of convincing to trust another brand for tents.

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Outside of firearms, I still have a set of long Johns that my uncle bought me when I was 15 (1994) and the pants and parka Cabelas Whitetail set I bought a year later. That is the warmest coat I have ever worn but it is also the heaviest. The long john bottoms are going strong but the top has seen better days

Once my son grows into it, I’ve got a Woolrich plaid coat that my uncle bought in 1972 that he can wear. Uncle wore it, passed it to my dad, then me, then my younger brother.

mlgc20

WKR
I have a Marmot Swallow tent that is over 20 years old. It’s a great, bombproof 2 man tent. It has spent so many nights out in the woods. Still my go too if there is going to be a lot of snow.

Beendare

WKR
I have a Mossberg 12ga pump I got bought when I was in high school in 1972-73 cut down and still use it as a camp backup for bears on Kodiak.

My dad gave me a Buck 110 folder in the late 70’s that has done at least 200 critters….NO, I don’t use that crummy thing anymore…its junk compared to the Super steels like S90v