Long draw hunter looking at upgrading bows

831hunter

FNG
Hey fellas.

I have been bow hunting for 15 years but took a decent hiatus due to back injuries. I have a 33” draw length and currently shoot a 13 year old pse vendetta xl and am thinking of switching it up. Looking at the Mathew’s atlas but curious what improvements in technology and function I should expect over my vendetta. I just restrung the vendetta as well. Thanks for any input

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been shooting my Freak SP for the last 8 years at just under 33" draw (like 32 7/8"). I picked up a Mathews Traverse in Dec with the 32.5" 75% let-off mods. I haven't shot it much yet, but it is smooth and quiet. And it feels pretty close on draw length to what I'm used to shooting. I'm sure the Atlas would be a good shooter as well. I know a guy that's 6'10" and he loves his Traverse. That's one reason why I tried it.

RC_

FNG
Hoyt Highline is another option that would fit you. No personal experience, but have run into a guy at the range a couple times that seems to really like his.

Hoyt Highline is another option that would fit you. No personal experience, but have run into a guy at the range a couple times that seems to really like his.

I hear good things about the highline. I was talking with a guy who's draw is 32" and he likes it

I don't have experience in comparison with a 13 year old bow, but I love my PSE Levitate been shooting for over a year now. They make a Mach 34 that has a 33" draw which would be worth testing if you're hunting for a new bow.

If at all possible, it's totally worth making time to test shoot various bows!

Looking at specs and reviews along, I was dead set on one or two other bows, but the PSE just felt the best to me personally when shooting them all side by side. For other shooters, the Hoyt or Matthews felt best. Find somewhere you can shoot a few of them and I'll bet one just feels the best for you.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm shooting the pse mach34 at 32 draw really enjoyable to shoot

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP

831hunter

FNG
Thanks for the input. I guess my main thought Is in what way will a new bow outshine my current vendetta xl? I’m always chasing better accuracy and sometimes the thought is the latest and greatest will be better but that isn’t always the case in some cases. Thoughts?

if you're chasing accuracy, you're probably suffering from a case of "you don't know what you don't know".

you should invest in some lessons to improve your form and having your bow tuned/evaluated for inconsistency. your also not shooting a target bow but your bow should be highly capable given that it's been made within the last decade roughly

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I guess my main thought Is in what way will a new bow outshine my current vendetta xl? I’m always chasing better accuracy and sometimes the thought is the latest and greatest will be better but that isn’t always the case in some cases. Thoughts?
I've always had a case of the "what if's" in regards to accuracy etc. And I can still stack arrows with my 2006 Bowtech Old Glory as well as with any of my newer bows. It's just that the newer bows are smoother and quieter. Go shoot some new bows and get a feel for them. But it's also a lot like trying one of the newer 5 blade razors versus the blades of 20 years ago. The old blades work, and they seem to work well. Until I tried the new ones.......my goodness those new blades shave silky smooth. Sometimes you're better off financially when you just don't know what you don't know. And keep it that way.

OP

831hunter

FNG
Thanks everyone for the input I think I am going to go with the mathews Atlas when I find one lightly used and use my current bow as a backup

dtrkyman

WKR
That Vendetta XL is a shooter! Probably gain some performance with a newer rig but your not going to buy any accuracy!

The draw cycle on that bow is just nice.

I have the same draw length and ended up getting the Atlas. First bow, only one they had in the shop that went that far.

Tater1973

WKR
Take a look at the Bowtech Revolt XL. I’m a long draw shooter also and I couldn’t be happier with Revolt XL. In comfort setting the draw cycle is smooth like butter and holds great.

I'm at 32.5", I have a Hoyt XXL and I've tried out the Atlas, Revolt XL, and the new Hoyt Highline. All of them are phenomenal. You can absolutely do whatever you need with the bow you've got, but these new models are pretty neat.

agood2255

FNG
I have a levitate which is maxed at my draw 31.5 and absolutely love it. I havent shot the mach 34 but have heard it is similar. Go to your local pro shop and sling some arrows!

Same situation as you, 33” draw currently have a vendetta XL, which tops out at 32.5 so you must have a longer loop on it like I do.

PSEMach 34 was great but dumps hard at the end for me. Otherwise awesome bow.

Hoyt highline is awesome but shoots slow

Bowtech revolt XL is slower and hand shocks

I was looking for the Mathew’s Atlas used when I found this thread, checks all the boxes

But the vendetta XL is still a killer bow. On the fence about just keeping it

OP

831hunter

FNG
I ended up getting the atlas. Once I dialed it in it has been awesome. Highly recommended. Kept the vendetta as a backup bow