Local Watering Holes for big/unique taxidermy

SoDak_23

FNG
Maybe not the best time for this thread due to Covid but I just moved out west (CO) and am looking forward to exploring over the next few years and love old bars/restaurants with cool taxidermy. Anyone have any local favorites?

Mine is Saloon 10 in Deadwood, SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
The Buckhorn saloon in San Antonio Texas is pretty cool, do believe Teddy Roosevelt and the rough riders drank there.

def90

WKR
The Buckhorn in Denver.. or the Bucksnort in Pine Co for some kitschy mounts and down home mountain atmosphere.

Afhunter1

WKR
Easy. Foster's Bighorn, Rio Vista CA

I’ll have to ck that out if I ever get out to CA but looking at pics of it I don’t think it would upstage the uniqueness of the Buckhorn Exchange with its colorful history and oddities. Hopefully I will get a chance to go there someday and see. Anytime I’m in Denver I always go get a buffalo ribeye at the Buckhorn. Amazing food too.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
If you are down south of the Gila, definitely recommend stopping at the Adobe Deli in Demming. Looks out on the Floridas, tons of awesome taxidermy, and the steak was awesome last full meal before a Gila elk hunt

gwtravis

Lil-Rokslider
The Buckhorn Saloon in San Antonio is a tourist place now on Houston street. Teddy Roosevelt did however recruit over beers in the historic Menger Bar across the street from the Alamo in the Menger Hotel. It's a cool place if you ever get stuck touristing in San Antonio. No mounts though.

ahlgringo

WKR
The Days Inn hotel in Thermopolis WY is a pretty cool place. Safari grill inside has an unbelievable taxidermy showcase (including a silverback shoulder mount that may or may not be real ). Guy that used to own the hotel was a prolific big game safari hunter. Cool mounts and stories. Food is meh, but private hot springs for guests is nice. Worth staying there if you are in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are my favorites. I have a bit of an infatuation for places like these.

Highline Cafe and Saloon, Hartsel, CO.

Not close to much but after a day of fishing in South Park this bar hits the spot. There are some big Trout and Elk decorating all of the walls.

Antlers Cafe and Bar, Yampa, CO

This place was really cool back in the 90's and has since changed ownership. A lot of the cool old taxidermy was still on the walls last time I was there a few years ago.

Trapper's Lake Lodge, Trappers Lake, CO

Way cool place to have a beer, a rustic lodge in the middle of nowhere with some cool fish mounts and a big Moose head among others.

Bailey Rustic Station, Bailey CO

If you are ever stuck in traffic on 285 this is a cool place to stop for a beer and a burger with some big Elk shoulder mounts and if I remember right a full size taxi'd black bear.

Pagosa Bar, Pagosa Springs CO

Locals type bar with some massive Mule Deer heads. One of the last places in Colorado where you can legally smoke a cigar inside.

Gold Coin Saloon, Central City, CO.

One of the oldest bars in Colorado and is the definition of "Hole in the Wall". Entrance has old swinging saloon doors and some of the coolest old taxidermy I have seen with some big Mule Deer, an Elk, foxes, squirrels, and even an old Golden Eagle mount from the 1930's.

Lander Bar, Lander, Wyoming

Historic bar with cool atmosphere, awesome burgers and lots of cool taxidermy including a massive Bull Trout right above the bar.

Virginian Hotel, Medicine Bow, WY

Headed to Casper from Denver/Ft Collins? Check out this historic bar in the old train depot in nowhere Wyoming. Now run exclusively by meth-heads but still has some cool old Elk Heads hung around. My buddies and I asked for a tour of the old hotel and you couldn't pay me to stay in that creepy place. I don't know what's scarier, the Methed-out employees or the certainly haunted old building.