Loads after adding suppressor

Has anyone had a great load for their rifle un-suppressed, and then cut down and suppressed? Did you have to re-work your loads at all or did you just stick with the same load?

In my experience, if you have a load that shoots good in a 24-26" barrel and then you chop 2-6" off of it and put a suppressor on it, you will have to develop a new load. In most cases, for me, changing it up to use a faster powder has resulted in finding a load that is pretty close to the original, or at least one that shoots the same bullet to the same level of accuracy without too much velocity loss.
I have experienced this with the following chamberings and loads:
280 rem with 150 grain NBTs - 4" off the barrel. Ended up with a load that shot just as good at 90 fps slower.
308 with 150 grain SSTs - 6" off the barrel. New load has better accuracy and is only 50 fps slower.
7-08 with 140 grain NABs - 4" off the barrel. Same accuracy and speed as original load.
6.5 Creedmoor with 139 grain Scenars - 4" off the barrel. Same accuracy, 40 fps slower.
.300 Win Mag with 180 grain NPTs - 5" off the barrel. Better accuracy, 95 fps slower.
6.5 Grendel with 123 grain SSTs. - 4" off the barrel. Same accuracy. 30 fps slower.

I have a tikka chambered in 6.5 prc, barrel is a bartlein #2b. Barrel was originally finished at 22” plus brake. Was getting around 2975 fps with 147’s over h1000. Cut the barrel down to 18”, added a Thunderbeast ultra 7. Original reload lost about 150 fps but maintained .5-.75 moa.

I did end up reworking a load with h4831 to regain some velocity. Ended up at 2920 with 147. Still holding sub .75 moa

I still ask the question of why you would cut down a barrel to add a suppressor. When I added a can to my factory Remington 700 I simply had the end of the barrel threaded. Still able to backpack hunt and kill elk with the normal length barrel with can attached.
So, I have no info for your question, but I do question why there is a need for it. Is it weight, balance, or other reasons you would want to cut a barrel down? Nothing wrong with doing it, but why?
Perhaps I should have cut my barrel down and just didn't know it.

I still ask the question of why you would cut down a barrel to add a suppressor. When I added a can to my factory Remington 700 I simply had the end of the barrel threaded. Still able to backpack hunt and kill elk with the normal length barrel with can attached.
So, I have no info for your question, but I do question why there is a need for it. Is it weight, balance, or other reasons you would want to cut a barrel down? Nothing wrong with doing it, but why?
It's not a requirement, just a preference for some people.

I've never cut down my barrels after. But most loads stayed consistent adding the can. Only poi changed. I would imagine you would see a drop in fps with the shorter barrel.

2920 w/147's from a 6.5PRC with 18in barrel is screaming fast!
I may just have a fast barrel, by Hornady data it’s just under max charge. I do have about 700 rounds down the tube

Hornady brass
Fed. 210 primers
54.3 gns h4831
147 eldm at 2.935 coal.

I may just have a fast barrel, by Hornady data it’s just under max charge. I do have about 700 rounds down the tube

Hornady brass
Fed. 210 primers
54.3 gns h4831
147 eldm at 2.935 coal.
Is that 2920 an estimated velocity because that's about 250-300 fps faster than others are getting with very similar load. That's well beyond the scope of just having a fast barrel.

Is that 2920 an estimated velocity because that's about 250-300 fps faster than others are getting with very similar load. That's well beyond the scope of just having a fast barrel.

I have a magneto speed sporter, without the can on I am running 2880 while showing about 2865 on a older style chrono where you’re shooting through a “window” about 10 ft in front of muzzle. Using Hornady 4DOF program I have ran the 2880 to 1000 yards to confirm and it was dead on. With the can on shooting through the old chrono is 2920.

Just saw a guy on here today that added rare earth magnets to his magneto to make it work with the offset a can has. Will have to try that.

Well I want to cut down my 24" barrel because I'll be adding a 7" suppressor to it and I don't want to be crawling through the timber packing around a 31" barrel + suppressor

Well I want to cut down my 24" barrel because I'll be adding a 7" suppressor to it and I don't want to be crawling through the timber packing around a 31" barrel + suppressor
That's one of my issues when I'm out in the field. I have to remember to tip my rifle so that the can doesn't hit branches as I hike under.

That's one of my issues when I'm out in the field. I have to remember to tip my rifle so that the can doesn't hit branches as I hike under.
I have never actually attempted the full length setup, so I'm just assuming I won't like something that length. I know I'll give up some velocity. I used to pack around a 26" barrelled rifle though and didn't mind it too much besides the weight.

My brother added a can to his 7mm-08 T3 Lite stainless without cutting it back. I’m the ammo source. His existing load did not shoot as well with the can so I changed the seating depth. The precision came back and he added around 40 fps to the MV.

P

I have never actually attempted the full length setup, so I'm just assuming I won't like something that length. I know I'll give up some velocity. I used to pack around a 26" barrelled rifle though and didn't mind it too much besides the weight.
Another issue I've had is putting the rifle in a scabbard. Kind of tough when it is so long.

if you think you wont like it, you won't. Ill never pack a rifle with a barrel longer than 18" if I'm going to shoot suppressed.

Its not just about the barrel being cut that can affect loads.
Barrel harmonics are completely different with a can on vs off, regardless of length.

Every gun is different, but ive seen some rifles shoot a load beautifully with the can on, and like shit with it off, and vis versa.

Back