Loaded over night?

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
I watched I love muzzleloading video on leaving muzzle loaders loaded. However, I was curious if anyone noticed a POI shift. Different results with northwest compliant variants?

EdP

WKR
I shoot a traditional ML - custom flintlock. Leave it loaded for weeks. I toss the prime and plug the touch hole with a round toothpick when not actively hunting. I do find that some of the main charge may migrate to the pan over time, so I will pick some priming back thru the hole to make sure I feel powder with my vent pick when priming for a hunt.

+1 to what everyone else said. Also, for perspective, keep in mind that trappers, mountain men, and Indians weren't wasting powder and ball by pulling bullets and recharging every day. It's just like what everyone else said, from their personal, repeated experiences - your powder will be fine for weeks and months at a time. As long as it's not getting rain right onto the flash hole or nipple, you're good.

taskswap

WKR
Do y'all who hunt with 209-style primers pull the primers at night? I've been doing that "for safety" but lately I feel like it's not adding anything (it's never cocked until I'm ready to fire) and may just be a path for moisture to get in.

Do y'all who hunt with 209-style primers pull the primers at night? I've been doing that "for safety" but lately I feel like it's not adding anything (it's never cocked until I'm ready to fire) and may just be a path for moisture to get in.
I do. I keep it in the tent with me at night when backpack hunting. You could throw a spent 209 in it if you wanted to seal up the plug.

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
I watched I love muzzleloading video on leaving muzzle loaders loaded. However, I was curious if anyone noticed a POI shift. Different results with northwest compliant variants?
nope.. never noticed any difference..

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. It like ethans experience may be more of a one off

Honyock

WKR
Tape the muzzle, put a spent primer on it and don't worry about it. I've hunted in a week of basically non-stop rain and it went boom when I told it to.