Loaded day pack weight

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the volume of your main pack alone?

Looks like several too many extra pockets for a day hunt unless it’s a very small volume pack.
1900 ci. The puffy takes up quite a bit of space. It’s a cheaper one, I’m sure I could get one that packs down smaller

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well 30 liters should be enough for a day hunt, particularly in September. It looks like your spotter, tripod & trekking poles all fit w/o using the main bag.

Looks like you have a decent sized belt pouch and a Nalgene holder as well, freeing up more space yet.

I’d pull everything out, weigh each item and enter into lighterpack.com.

I’m pretty sure we’d be able to whittle things down a bit :)

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Weighed everything, have about 20 oz coming out of misc crap (thermacell, grunt tube, etc) that's just in there for storage right now. My rain Gear is about 3 lbs, puffy is about 1.5 Lbs, shell is 1 lb and those can come or go based on weather I assume. Have a spare knife I can leave also just stored in there that's roughly 10 oz. The first aid kit needs to be trimmed down and put into a smaller container, its 3 Lbs. Should get me down in the 25 pound range before food and water.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a duplex frame, Stryker XL, Sherman pocket, and claymore lid with a belt pouch and Nalgene holder. The Lid and Sherman are both 10 oz each per the website. I didn’t take them all the way off to check.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah that’s a crazy heavy pack. Especially for a day pack. Are all Kifarus that heavy? My Exo K4 5000 is right at 5lbs I believe.
I dont know what Kifarus weight I just know a daypack size shouldnt go over 5lbs, no need.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a duplex frame, Stryker XL, Sherman pocket, and claymore lid with a belt pouch and Nalgene holder. The Lid and Sherman are both 10 oz each per the website. I didn’t take them all the way off to check.
This is a different class of daypack if it includes a meat hauling frame, it will weigh more.
There are still lighter options in meat hauling daypacks if thats what your wanting.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
This is a different class of daypack if it includes a meat hauling frame, it will weigh more.
There are still lighter options in meat hauling daypacks if thats what your wanting.
Yea I know it’s not the lightest but it carries well and I like it…also it’s already purchased so there’s that too ha

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I know it’s not the lightest but it carries well and I like it…also it’s already purchased so there’s that too ha
Totally understand.

You could ditch their bag and strap on an UL nylon stuffsack for a pack. The Stryker frames run 3-4lbs alone so a 1lb nylon bag would be about 5lbs, youd still be able to use the loadshelf to start hauling meat too.

Randle

WKR
Looks like lighten up the first aid kit, lighten up the pack itself and a lighter tripod would help a ton

Dennis

WKR
Without seeing your total equipment list it is a little hard to help, however Koda has a great suggestion as a start. I carry usually between 10-15 pounds depending on the hunt, however it is always a trade off with the hunt stuff like bugle tube on a deer hunt etc. Have fun and enjoy the journey!

TaperPin

WKR
Since you’re starting and ending at your truck, most of the way up and down you’ll be using those trekking poles - I tend to think they are not contributing to overall weight much when being used and thus don’t include their weight.

What you have fits in with everyone I hunt with.

Last edited:

6.5x284

WKR
I'd pull off the pack lid, sherman pocket, and any hip pouches. I'd take 1L of filled water on a day hunt with a few drops to fill up in an emergency and hydrate heavily before you depart and when you return. I wouldn't pack a pump or filter for that trip. Id buy a cheap scalpel blade type knife and that knife with 4 blades will be an ounce or two. Generally I use two blades on an elk and one on a deer. Drop your two knives. I'd probably buy a cheap small/light tripod as well. Id attack weight by the cheapest per ounce at this point in your hunting journey. You probably don't need a puffy in Sep, and can likely leave at the truck most days and get a good light, economical mid layer and shell. Others have already mentioned the TP, thermocell, gaiters, saw, stove, etc... You can probably drop weight and something like Argali or Grakksaw game bags depending on which ones you have. Some are over a pound for a set. Depending on the route, could drop down to just one trekking pole. Your food should be light, in theory you are eating something before you leave and when you get back. You just need lunch and maybe a high calorie emergency bar if you have to rough it out late one night breaking down a critter. First aid kit can probably be reduced to bandaids, zipstitch, tourney, glue, stopclot, and leuko tape. My biggest injury fear is a puncture through a leg or abdomen. Your medkit specs say 2.6-3.6 pounds. That's heavy for one person. That's what I'd have at the base camp or truck.

Keep track of what you bring, and if you don't use it, scrap it for next time with the exception of kill kit and first aid.

I'd add a headlamp if you don't have it. Some cheap and light ones like a Nitcore 20 or 25 worth their weight if you come out heavy after dark.

For reference my 9 day solo sheep pack weight is about 48-49 pounds including all tripod, optics, rifle, 50oz water, and food.

Last edited: