Load Shelf 1-3 Day Pack Help

fshaw

WKR
I bought a MR Sawtooth 45 for this purpose and am happy with it except for the waist belt. It just doesn’t work for me. I’d like to be able to go ultralight for a 2-3 day pack and still be able to carry meat, so I’d like a load shelf pack. The majority of use for this pack will be day hunts with the ability to carry a boned out deer. I hunt in the eastern forest (usually Adirondacks) so a frame or pack or frame that sticks up much above my shoulders catches too much brush.

Overall I’m happy with the Sawtooth with the exception of the hip belt. It slides down no matter how tight I cinch it and it’s stiff enough to be uncomfortable. The most comfortable and functional hipbelt I’ve used on a pack was on a Kifaru Pointman and Navigator. Surprisingly thin but worked well, stayed in place and is quite comfortable. I still have, and really like the Pointman, but at 3,000 cubic inches without a load shelf, it’s either meat or gear. I’m not interested in a big pack bag ttat will carry both meat and gear, day hunts will be the majority of use for this pack.

I’d like to find a comfortable load shelf pack about the size of the Sawtooth with a better (for me) waist belt. I’d be willing to do some surgery to replace the waist belt on the Sawtooth if anyone has done that. Otherwise I’ll sell it.

Thanks for your help and have a joy filled Christmas.

Frank

BBob

WKR
I have a Kuiu that’ll do what you want. I have friends with EXO and Kifaru that’ll do what you want. There are others too. Mby the following will give you some ideas and guidance.

md126

WKR
The Exo K3 frame can be as short as 24” and expand to 25.5” for a meat pack out (25-26.5 for the tall size frame). Bag design is excellent too.

I used the K2 5500 in the Adirondacks and it worked great in the thick brush.

wapitibob

WKR
It’s worth saying again, design your own bag and have pods8 (rugged stitching) make it for you. Get what you want not what somebody thinks you want.

The stone glacier Frame has a load shelf built in.

Last edited:

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
all our packs now have the load shelf on them. you would have to get a frame as well. we have a big sale on our bags currently. The 44 Mag is 4400 cubic inches. The hoodlum (my favorite) is 6300 cubic inches. I used both methods this season on carrying meat in the bag and using our load shelf. I personally didn't find much of a difference in hauling weight. Both methods preformed great.

I bought a MR Sawtooth 45 for this purpose and am happy with it except for the waist belt. It just doesn’t work for me. I’d like to be able to go ultralight for a 2-3 day pack and still be able to carry meat, so I’d like a load shelf pack. The majority of use for this pack will be day hunts with the ability to carry a boned out deer. I hunt in the eastern forest (usually Adirondacks) so a frame or pack or frame that sticks up much above my shoulders catches too much brush.

Overall I’m happy with the Sawtooth with the exception of the hip belt. It slides down no matter how tight I cinch it and it’s stiff enough to be uncomfortable. The most comfortable and functional hipbelt I’ve used on a pack was on a Kifaru Pointman and Navigator. Surprisingly thin but worked well, stayed in place and is quite comfortable. I still have, and really like the Pointman, but at 3,000 cubic inches without a load shelf, it’s either meat or gear. I’m not interested in a big pack bag ttat will carry both meat and gear, day hunts will be the majority of use for this pack.

I’d like to find a comfortable load shelf pack about the size of the Sawtooth with a better (for me) waist belt. I’d be willing to do some surgery to replace the waist belt on the Sawtooth if anyone has done that. Otherwise I’ll sell it.

Thanks for your help and have a joy filled Christmas.

Frank
do you have the belt adjusted for yourself?

how is it to your torso in regards to the shoulder straps?

have you tried canting it (the belt)?

how is your load packed, wheres the weight at? What is the weight?

Ive got the sawtooth and understand packs are intimate to individuals. Before jumping from one pack to another, regardless of brand, id recommend its fitted properly, packed properly, and tested. that and the above questions would carry over to all frames and packs

JStol5

WKR
I sold my MR Sawtooth and upgraded to a Stone Glacier solo for the exact reason you’re looking for: 1-3 days and better comfort. I have been incredibly happy with it.

Drenalin

WKR
The most comfortable frame I've used was from Seek Outside. Their Revolution frame, with the hipbelt setup to your liking (floating vs captured, lumbar vs no lumbar) along with a Merlin would be a really really good option. You can also have frame height options that can be changed in the field.

My second favorite setup is the Exo K3 - almost as comfortable as SO with far better bag layouts (in my opinion). I also strongly prefer the Cordura material versus the fabrics SO uses. I'd go with the K3 4800 even for day hunting; they make an 1800 for day hunts, but I despise the zippered side pockets on it.

I put a back pouch on my Kifaru Express that holds all of my day hunting goods so I can put meat in the main bag. It hauled out two deer this year in this fashion.

With a bit of outside-the-box thinking I've been able to tighten my Reckoning down into a super compact day hunting pack. I know it's one of Kifaru's larger bags but honestly, any of the bags in that size range like the 44 mag, etc, will suit your needs right now. Some of them may seem a little 'flappy' when you cinch them down for daypack mode so you'll need to experiment and think about what you need in the way of straps. People have said the Reckoning is a little 'strappy' for them but I think this just makes it incredibly versatile.

When I have mine in daypack mode I use a M belt pouch as a lid and I don't want for anything. I did an overnighter with it recently and in this mode it would easily do 2-3 days. I carried 5L of water.

A solid frame/harness that fits well and handles weight well is the most important thing. I only have a couple of animals under my belt with this Kifaru but I imagine it's going to be fine. I also hauled out many dozens of animals with my Exo 5500 and it was fantastic. Again, a bit 'flappy' for a day pack but you can get creative with how you organise it and use it for this purpose fine.

Hang18

FNG
This tread is a good read. Lots info & lots to think about., especially if going west from here. I'm in a northeastern state. My day pack for whitetail from a tree saddle weighs about 20#'s sans saddle & rope system to get up & down a tree. That's for a dawn to dusk sit. Must be packing too much food. lol