Load development with muzzle brake for a suppressed rifle

FattyBinz

FNG
Just got my TBAC Ultra 7 for my new Seekins Element Havak 6.5 PRC. Had the Area419 Hellfire Match on it before but I shot with the suppressor for the first time today to find my max safe chargeweight. Using N565 with Berger 156s. I was really surprised at how little the suppressor helps with recoil. Its not the worst, but still unpleasant. Since I don't mind recoil in an actual hunting situation or when shooting just a few shots, but as I move onto shooting a whole bunch in the next stage of load development, I'd rather shoot with the brake. I usually go to the range during weekdays when there aren't many people around me, so I'm not worried about blasting people in neighboring lanes. Question is, if I develop a load using a brake, will the accuracy of whatever optimal load I (hopefully) find be consistent when I shoot and hunt with the suppressor? Since the suppressor adds a bit of velocity, will it keep the same accuracy/precision, but just add a bit more speed? If there is any chance of the accuracy not translating from the brake to the suppressor, I think I'd rather just hide a shoulder pad under my shirt lol

I'm using the Area419 suppressor mount, so I can switch between the hellfire match brake the the Ultra 7 easily

Last edited:

Runolfson

FNG
I personally felt the recoil reduction was close to the same as the brake. But maybe my brake was not a good one. With my Ultra 5 on my 7prc I can spot my impacts. But my rifle is not super light, comes in at 9 lbs with the suppressor.

I think the biggest difference you're potentially going to see is a shift in POI. Speed change is not significant.

deadwolf

WKR
Leave the suppressor on if that’s how you plan to hunt.

Double check that it is on tight every few shots. They will come loose.

If you’re at the range with a muzzle brake, go to the end of the firing line ; )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

FattyBinz

FNG
Leave the suppressor on if that’s how you plan to hunt.

Double check that it is on tight every few shots. They will come loose.

If you’re at the range with a muzzle brake, go to the end of the firing line ; )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, I thought it would stay snug but I was really surprised at the end of the session when I went to take it off and it was loose.

Same load may shoot fine in both, might not shoot as well with one. Can’t know for sure. Regardless, “load dev” with a brake isn’t really load dev for it suppressed.