Llama saddles on goats?

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
So I was on a long wait list to purchase two pack llamas, I recently decided it wasn’t going to be a good purchase for us, considering what ready to pack llamas cost. While I was waiting I scored llama tack through rockslide..saddles, panniers, halters etc

I am picking up two seasoned pack goats this weekend locally for free from a guy who is moving and can’t continue to keep them. My question is can I use the llama tack I currently have on the goats for now to try them out. Large goats seem similar in size to llamas but I don’t have any experience with either. It would save me a lot of money while I experiment with the goats to see if there are a good fit for how I hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legend

WKR
Probably too big. But to test drive the goats you don't need to pack weight. Just take them for some big hikes on trail and off trail. Try crossing water for an added test. If they follow you without a lead rope they will do well.

I am in MT. If you live close DM me and I can hook you up with goat gear for a couple weeks.

OP
B

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
Ok good to know thanks. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for the offer, I’m in ca

Bachto

WKR
The panniers would likely work depending on their size. The saddles will likely be too big. You may be able to modify the saddle to fit a goat depending on the design of the saddle.

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
I'd sell it all invest in the proper gear for goats after you have tested them to be sure they are going to work for what you want to do.
How old are the goats and what size and breed are they?

Kris

OP
B

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have the wilderness ridge saddles and panniers with some pads and halters. I’m reluctant to sell the llama gear just yet because I got a good deal on it and the llama breeder is going to possibly have some smaller/less desirable females available this summer I might try to buy. I stumbled upon these goats. They are 10yrs old and I’m not sure how well one of them will do. He’s looking pretty old. Omaha appears to have a lot of life left in him. But Lincoln was suspected to have kidney stones. They’ve been with me for just a couple days now and seem to be doing good.
35a8375323cec1d8bbba6e2edd86d83a.jpg

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
At 10 they are pretty much done. Some can pack a little longer if they have been worked properly with good nutrition but that's about the age they are about done. I wouldn't put much money or hope into them especially if one has already had health problems.
They could make a great teacher if you could pick up a couple younger babies. They learn from their elders much like wolf pups. Just take them on hikes with no weight and let the young ones learn from them if they are good goats.

Kris

OP
B

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
Ok thanks for all the good advice. I’ll see if I can’t locate some younger one to maybe start a string of my own. Ideally I’d like some that are ready to pack, but I’m sure few people are willing to part with their good goats in their prime

Rocky723

FNG
Ok thanks for all the good advice. I’ll see if I can’t locate some younger one to maybe start a string of my own. Ideally I’d like some that are ready to pack, but I’m sure few people are willing to part with their good goats in their prime

Go on Facebook and join the group new homes for pack goats. Tons of very kind people and I've gotten a total of 5 goats off of their that are working amazing for me. Just be patient and you will see people willing to let extremely good goats go for an array of reasons. Another place to check is packgoatcentral.com, I've gotten some gear from people on their. Whatever you end up doing animals are a great way to make a hunt more enjoyable and even backpacking trips they are amazing and allow you to carry some better/more normal food.

OP
B

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
Ok thanks I’ll look into that