Live Hunt Tips and Tricks

Gman

WKR
Post-Live hunt, I'm going over how we could have done better or made it better. I thought it would be a good idea as we get more experience with these to start a tips/tricks list of things to improve on.

My first thoughts are this:

1. It's already been said, but focus on the hunt, not the updates. :)

2. I found that I was constantly taking two sets of photos - one from my good camera and one from the iphone. I would love to have a way to transfer photos from the camera to the iPhone for remote upload. The best option I've found is a wifi SD card that will send the photos - they're kind of expensive, if anyone has a better way please let me know.

3. Get tapatalk and use that to post. Makes it very easy.

4. If someone is posting on your behalf maybe we can arrange with Ryan to get "shared rights" so they can post on your behalf and eliminate confusion, i.e. Ryan could post as "Gman" if I want him to.

Those are just some initial thoughts. I'd also like a way to post video from the field but not sure we have the bandwidth for that.

Please include any thoughts that can improve live hunts as a participant or a viewer.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
2. I found that I was constantly taking two sets of photos - one from my good camera and one from the iphone. I would love to have a way to transfer photos from the camera to the iPhone for remote upload. The best option I've found is a wifi SD card that will send the photos - they're kind of expensive, if anyone has a better way please let me know.

Have you looked into the eye-fi wireless cards? They claim to send from the camera to the phone using direct mode (which I suspect is Bluetooth), and are not as expensive as some others on the market. I have seen some good deals on Amazon, and even saw the 4GB card at our local Walmart in the photo section for about $40. Seems you could get away with the smaller card for photos (if not for video) as everything would be backed up to your phone and you could delete to make space. Haven't tried this myself, but it looks like it could work.

Loved the live hunt BTW, trying to brainstorm a way to make this work in AK...our cell reception is terribly limited off major highways, so that increases the level of difficulty.

cmeier117

WKR
I really like the little videos Aron posted after wards. I also think it would be cool if you could record the stalks with a go pro type camera. I don't want anything that could get in your way or anything just think it would be cool to see...

You guys actually have 4g where you hunt?? An SMS based "live hunt" stream would probably open up a few more areas where full data isn't available.

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
How do you guys keep your iPhone charged?

Mark

I have an external battery that weighs about 4oz. I get 3 full iPhone charges. I keep my iPhone on airplane mode which takes virtually no juice or even power off sometimes when not using it. I only go to cellular/data mode when I need to connect. I can go about a week working like that. If I were going to be gone longer I'd just get another battery.

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
Have you looked into the eye-fi wireless cards? They claim to send from the camera to the phone using direct mode (which I suspect is Bluetooth), and are not as expensive as some others on the market. I have seen some good deals on Amazon, and even saw the 4GB card at our local Walmart in the photo section for about $40. Seems you could get away with the smaller card for photos (if not for video) as everything would be backed up to your phone and you could delete to make space. Haven't tried this myself, but it looks like it could work.

Loved the live hunt BTW, trying to brainstorm a way to make this work in AK...our cell reception is terribly limited off major highways, so that increases the level of difficulty.

Great idea Becca. I saw these online the other night too and thought they were cool. I may get one as I run into the issue alot. Not just with Live Hunt but if you want to share photos on fb, twitter, or sms with family and friends. I'm also looking at an enhanced lens for my iPhone to get better pics and that may solve the problem. It's about the same cost as the card so it's one or the other!

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
You guys actually have 4g where you hunt?? An SMS based "live hunt" stream would probably open up a few more areas where full data isn't available.

We did on this particular hunt. Of course there are areas where there's no service. But it's getting to the point if you get up high enough in CO you can get a signal. I've climbed some big vertical feet only to stand on a rock on the summit with my phone held high to send my wife an "I'm okay" message. I think it was after one of these huge communication climbs I got a SPOT!

Hardstalk

WKR
Have you seem the bow adapter for the i phone made by s4 gear?? That would be one way of not having to carry a go pro also. I believe but am not positive that the iphone5 will have better picture and video qualities also. That may eliminate the need for a better lens on the phone. I created a iphone to spotter adapter a while back but i think meopta makes one that would fit your bill. It seems minimalist style. Mine was bulky but it was a solar case that recharges the phone automaticlyImageUploadedByTapatalk1346382665.268358.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346382694.291691.jpg just pvc shims and some special plastic bonding glue. I think everything you want to do and are doing is great. Hard to go truly live and still get great quality. There is a small sacrifice to make there.

OP
Gman

Gman

WKR
I like your DIY adapter. I just started that project myself. Found a new case on amazon for $1.60 shipped - that's not a typo. I have a tines up adapter so for another $3.20 I found the step up adapter that fits. It's all enroute and I'll post pics of what I put together and the results.

Hardstalk

WKR
Quick tip while building it. Keep your iphone lens as close to the spotter lens as possible. The iphone has a ridiculous small objective you start to zoom the scope and get the dreaded black hole effect.

I used the Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel to charge the power pack. Then the pack charges my phone. It worked great.