Lions in my Elk unit

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome and nice bike setup! Is it legal for me to put a cam over a carcass in Idaho? Hadn't thought of doing that before...
I don't know if I'd plan to hunt over the carcass, more or less just see what comes through for a snack ha.
As far as I know it's perfectly legal, I don't think Idaho has any laws regarding cameras.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
Great video! There are lions all over this state. Earlier this summer, a lion killed a dear at an intersection on the eastern edge of Boise. A few years back, a lion sauntered through a hall at a school in northern Idaho - went in the open exit door at one end and out the other. Even though we can run them with dogs here, there is hardly any hunting pressure on them, and it seems they are spotted more and more in urban areas.

I had what was probably the last good low pressure spot in my state. Elk everywhere! Tons of deer.

We have a huge network of cameras in there. Last summer we went in and had zero pictures. Well that's odd. Maybe the cattle moved in and kicked the elk out. That's about normal.

Other cameras were working but zero pics not even deer!

Huh that's odd... Night before opener the usual camp mascots were ripping bugles across from camp (don't worry the camp is in a spot that doesn't effect behavior). Well we found a few elk but nothing crazy. Then I found a dead cow that was a few months old. Well that's weird.

Then holy chit all the Go Hunt mid westies and wanna be influencers flooded the area. We usually only see a couple guys on the weekend in there. But for whatever reason the human pressure went way up.

We stuck it out because we know these elk so well.

Finally we bailed and I texted my old buddy who's the game warden there. He said the cats moved in. We'd also found a couple calf skeletons too.

So cats are bad news. In an area that was loaded with elk went to just a handful. We used see mulies and whitetail down lower and get tons of moose pics. Absolutely nothing with the two dozen cameras we have.

We're going back in for opener this year. Didn't bother scouting this spring. Just going to go off of historical experience. See how bad the pressure is. We have a chance if there's not dudes from Central America spiked out in the bedding areas.