Linear Compensator on Short Barrel Bolt Rifle?

Sevens

WKR
I am a fan of short barrel length rifles after getting some suppressors. I’ve also just come to love the handiness of a short barrel. Unfortunately, not all places in the world are suppressor friendly, which sparks my question. Would a linear compensator, like the Flaming Pig or KVP Linear, work to push muzzle blast further from the ear and not increase (maybe slightly decrease) noise to the shooter’s ear? Said another way, would a 20” rifle with a linear compensator have similar noise to the shooter’s ear as a 22” or 24” length barrel with no muzzle device?

This would be on a 7 PRC. Really don’t want to have to get a longer barrel to screw on for when I’m hunting somewhere a suppressor is not allowed.

OP
S

Sevens

WKR
Reached out to KVP on. Sounds like it should do what I expect, move the blast a little further away from the shooter like the barrel was longer.

Seems like a decent option for hunting places like Canada or California versus putting a longer barrel on your rifle for one trip.

robtattoo

WKR
This might be a bit apples to oranges, but I have one of these on my .300blk AR & while it doesn't do exactly what they claim (it's very much NOT hearing safe) it certainly moves the noise significantly & effectively away from me.

BLJ

WKR
This might be a bit apples to oranges, but I have one of these on my .300blk AR & while it doesn't do exactly what they claim (it's very much NOT hearing safe) it certainly moves the noise significantly & effectively away from me.

Do you think it helped reduce recoil any?

robtattoo

WKR
Do you think it helped reduce recoil any?

I honestly couldn't say. It's very mild recoiling anyway & I've never shot it without some kind of muzzle device.
The brake minus the shroud, however, is ridiculous. Literally less recoil than a .22lr

OP
S

Sevens

WKR

Not really concerned if hearing safe, I’m not expecting a suppressor, but I would like to not increase the noise.

I guess I think of it like this, ordered from least hearing safe to more hearing safe: muzzle brake < 20” bare muzzle < 24” bare muzzle < suppressor

Obviously in most situations, I’ll have the suppressor, but say I go to Canada. It would be nice to screw on a linear comp and move the muzzle blast a little further from my ears since my suppressor can’t come. Maybe it’s just me, but a 22” or 24” barrel seems less terrible on the ears than a 20”. None hearing safe, of course, but 22” doesn’t leave my ears ringing after the shot.

ElPollo

WKR
Not really concerned if hearing safe, I’m not expecting a suppressor, but I would like to not increase the noise.

I guess I think of it like this, ordered from least hearing safe to more hearing safe: muzzle brake < 20” bare muzzle < 24” bare muzzle < suppressor

Obviously in most situations, I’ll have the suppressor, but say I go to Canada. It would be nice to screw on a linear comp and move the muzzle blast a little further from my ears since my suppressor can’t come. Maybe it’s just me, but a 22” or 24” barrel seems less terrible on the ears than a 20”. None hearing safe, of course, but 22” doesn’t leave my ears ringing after the shot.
Why not buy a pair of electronic ear plugs instead? I love my can, but I use the in-the-ear, electronic ear pro all the time when I’m big game hunting or bird hunting. The blast cone things seem to be an answer to a question no one asked. And I don’t use or even want to be around a muzzle brake.

Why not buy a pair of electronic ear plugs instead? I love my can, but I use the in-the-ear, electronic ear pro all the time when I’m big game hunting or bird hunting. The blast cone things seem to be an answer to a question no one asked. And I don’t use or even want to be around a muzzle brake.
How come your not using your can hunting?

ElPollo

WKR
How come your not using your can hunting?
I am. I use the plugs too due to hearing damage from being a dumbass when I was younger. The can offers a lot of benefits in terms of noise and recoil. In my personal view, breaks aren’t an option because they make guns louder and swamp the capability of your hearing protection. Linear comps don’t seem to provide the recoil reduction of a can or break or substantially reduce the noise. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze for me, so I would stick with good electronic ear pro and a bare muzzle if a can isn’t an option.

Taudisio

WKR
I forget which linear comp is on my 6.5cm. It does not ring my ears. I don’t think it does much at all for the recoil, but my pops said the gun was fairly quiet when he was standing behind me for a coyote. Iirc it is a Midwest industries linear. I haven’t touched this gun since I shot the big muley, so probably 4 or more years. But shot it a dozen or more times without plugs. Seems better than a bare muzzle. Accuracy is 👌🏻

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 59181210410__781E9157-8869-4C54-BF8A-18C3B68F4929.jpeg
    59181210410__781E9157-8869-4C54-BF8A-18C3B68F4929.jpeg
    655.8 KB · Views: 23