Limb silencers

@Beendare I read through the thread and unless I missed it I didn't see anything about padding on the recurves to deaden string slap. Do you have something there already? I've only used the dyneema wraps Steve Baker offers on Mountain Muffler strings, but they made a big difference on my takedown, which for what it's worth is not ILF or even a metal riser.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Dredged again.

I took those little silicone, spacers out of my latest set ups. Essentially it’s a little chunk of silicone in between the limb and the limb pocket.

The number one thing that quiets the sound of my limbs is padding the limits itself, and double wrapping the end of the string with wool.

Ive tried leather and moleskin to pad the end of the limb but the precut piece Nika sells is by far the best Ive used.
HERE. At Nikabow.com

You can probably cut them in half lengthwise

What I’ve found on my recurve is two things: 1) A wrap around the string loops to stop any slap and
2) Already mentioned, but the best is a heavy arrow. I have a 620 gr aluminum setup that is quiet, but a 700 gr wood setup that is absolutely silent.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I’m glad you mentioned that. I’d add that I shoot off a Bear weather rest too, and that helps a lot with that soft rubber dampening arrow noise.
I used to use velcro- that was noisier than the Bear or a chunk of hide rest.
My Taxidermy buddy gave me a bunch of scraps….I have a 100 yr supply of rests.

I put a little triangle of foam under the center of my hide with hair rest. I can hear it when my nok point is too low. I can hear it when my arrows are too stiff.

Point is, if you really pay attention to these bows, they tell you what they like.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Everyone I know puts felt in the limb pockets like your photo on the right…. I have never seen anyone do it on both the limb and the limb pocket, I’m surprised it fits.

ozyclint

WKR
I found my Border Black Douglas was louder than I liked even after the usual treatment. Velcro on the string grooves, catwhiskers etc.

The epiphany came when one day I was plucking the string and listening to the resonating sound and saw the limb tips vibrating. There was a pair of socks on the floor so I draped them over the limb tips. DEAD SILENCE!

It was then I realized it was the limb tips that needed dampening. Being a 'super recurve' there is a lot of limb length in contact with the limb at brace. Seems that lends the tips to vibrating more. I reckon the covert hunters would be more prone to this.

A piece of latex tubing slid on to the limb tip enough to cover the string nock with about 1" overhang works great to dampen vibration. not enough overhang and you don't get any dampening effect, too much overhang and you get a bit of noise from it flopping around. Play with the amount of overhang by simply sliding on the tip more or less.
I found some black latex tubing and they look fine. They serve as tip protectors at the same time.

It transforms my bow. worth a try on any bow.

Two birds, one stone.

ledflight

WKR
Everyone I know puts felt in the limb pockets like your photo on the right…. I have never seen anyone do it on both the limb and the limb pocket, I’m surprised it fits.
Those are the two contact points. Perhaps they added a rubber washer? It was a tighter fit. But I can't say I was that impressed with the sound reduction. I will fiddle more...

ledflight

WKR
I found my Border Black Douglas was louder than I liked even after the usual treatment. Velcro on the string grooves, catwhiskers etc.

The epiphany came when one day I was plucking the string and listening to the resonating sound and saw the limb tips vibrating. There was a pair of socks on the floor so I draped them over the limb tips. DEAD SILENCE!

It was then I realized it was the limb tips that needed dampening. Being a 'super recurve' there is a lot of limb length in contact with the limb at brace. Seems that lends the tips to vibrating more. I reckon the covert hunters would be more prone to this.

A piece of latex tubing slid on to the limb tip enough to cover the string nock with about 1" overhang works great to dampen vibration. not enough overhang and you don't get any dampening effect, too much overhang and you get a bit of noise from it flopping around. Play with the amount of overhang by simply sliding on the tip more or less.
I found some black latex tubing and they look fine. They serve as tip protectors at the same time.

It transforms my bow. worth a try on any bow.

Two birds, one stone.
Interesting. I am shooting on longbow limbs, though I may try anyway.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I wrap my limbs with camo self adhesive vet wrap. No string slap, and you never have to worry about the finish in the bush. They make it in a lot of different patterns as well so you can be ready either snow camo to desert camo for about 15 bucks.

That's about the only thing I do different then everything else mentioned here.

1Canvas

FNG
Good info^

I bought some used limbs with those Limbsavers installed....they didn't make a lick of difference. They would have to be mounted way out on the limb to matter...and then you lose too much efficiency.

I build a skinny string that is quieter for sure; 12 strands and I wrap the ends with wool. [that wrap makes a big difference]

I've tried playing with all kinds of string silencers....and of course the heavy rubber type ones silence better but slow the arrow.

I've played with puff placement- using the string harmonics chart at first wave and second wave position. I can't really tell a difference between the 4 puffs and and just 2.

Silencing the limb pockets on my ILF made a huge difference.

______
At the limb but I put Stealth Strips on the riser (Satori) and on the limb to bolt contact Velcro. On my limbs I put Limbsavers 12” from the limb tips, it sure helps with the vibration and I believe the sound a bit. I hate the vibration an ILF can give. I have cut Cat Whiskers on the string. One of the biggest differences I made was when I got some thick industrial strength adhesive Velcro into a circle, cut a hole for the limb bolt so that it‘s kind of like a washer between my limb bolt head and limb. My thoughts are that I can give up a little speed and settle for fast enough for quiet. I shoot at game 17 yards and under.

Last edited:

shamus275

FNG
As for putting felt on the limb butt and inside the pockets, another thing that works really well is using “Stealth Strips”. They’re ultra thin and have a felt like feel to them. If you’re an eastern whitetail guy or a saddle guy then you know what I’m referring too. I always put a small strip on either side inside the pockets where the limb rocker makes contact on the pocket itself. I’ve never put any on the limb butts but I’ll have to give that a try.

Another thing I’ve seen people use is liquid electrical tape. Same principle, brush it on where the limbs make contact on the riser.