Liking the Sig Kilo4K!

I finally bit the bullet and replaced my 15yr-old Nikon rangefinder. I was looking at one of the Leica 2800 units, but just couldn't find one locally to handle. I looked through the options at one of our big box stores, and they had the Sig Kilo4K sitting there. I had read about Optical Image Stabilization, but never looked through anything with it. I looked through a set of Sig's OIS binos, and was blown away. 16x binos freehand, and they were actually useable at distance without support! Yes, they were even better off a tripod, but I could see leaving the tripod at home with those...
Apparently the Kilo4k is the only rangefinder with OIS. With the OIS on, I was able to consistently get good readings on lone pine treetops freehand with the kilo4k out to 600+ yards. I'm really impressed with how much it helps stabilize and return consistent readings on pretty small targets.
I can't wait until they figure out how to get the OIS into range finding binos. A set of 12 or 16x OIS binos that ranged reliably to 1500 would replace 4 pieces of equipment in my pack.
I guess there is some challenge with OIS getting the reticle in a bino to correlate to the actual laser location that they don't have in a monocular setup.
Either way, I have a spring bear hunt coming in May, and I can't wait to get these out in the real world.

I am strongly considering this one or the 3k. Just not sure the image stability is worth $200 more.

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I got the 4k as well and they just released the onx integration (I think it’s recent) I love it!

the stabilization thing definitely works.... not $200 worth though - you would be paying up for the 4k vs 3k distance really. bought it before hunting season last year.
New, I got it out to just under 2k in the field and it was accurate readings that I could verify to everything I was looking at on GPS. Recently, the thing has given me a harder time out past 1000yds and battery life has been problematic. Seeing the display in high sun at the range has also been a problem.
*DO NOT CROSS-THREAD* battery cap - it is very, very easy to cross-thread(17 years construction - I can tell you on one hand all cross-threading I've done in last 10 years and it's one-this damned battery cap), and I believe some of the problems I'm seeing now/all summer are because the battery isn't seating in the cap properly; or at least the battery dying after a few hundred reads.

Nonetheless, This is my first hearing of OnX integration - excited to check that out - hopefully available in a software update

the stabilization thing definitely works.... not $200 worth though - you would be paying up for the 4k vs 3k distance really. bought it before hunting season last year.
New, I got it out to just under 2k in the field and it was accurate readings that I could verify to everything I was looking at on GPS. Recently, the thing has given me a harder time out past 1000yds and battery life has been problematic. Seeing the display in high sun at the range has also been a problem.
*DO NOT CROSS-THREAD* battery cap - it is very, very easy to cross-thread(17 years construction - I can tell you on one hand all cross-threading I've done in last 10 years and it's one-this damned battery cap), and I believe some of the problems I'm seeing now/all summer are because the battery isn't seating in the cap properly; or at least the battery dying after a few hundred reads.

Nonetheless, This is my first hearing of OnX integration - excited to check that out - hopefully available in a software update
First I’m hearing about the integration as well. Is it all sig rangefinders or just the 4k? Wigs website does not say.

sf jakey

WKR
I’m on my second 4k in one month. Both have killed the battery suddenly. Like it’s fine, put it away for a few days and take it out…dead. Great features and love the IS, but the unreliability is a deal breaker. Looking for another option, maybe Fulldraw, maybe leica

I'm not ready to part with it yet, I really want it to work and will try some more trouble shooting when I have time.
I know people personally that would attest to the Leica working very reliably even in compromised environments, for continuous years. And I will say it has great glass that wildly outperforms the sig (it is actually usable as an 8x monocular, in the random moments that might be applicable).

Longest I can remember doing was in the field and it was 1880yds on tress and grass.
Lots of readings from 1400 - 1880 trying to plan out a route and then verified everything on the map and than ran the route and everything was pretty spot on in that experience.
It was very new at that point and that was really the only time I got to test it to any lengths.