Like a nano puff, but more water resistant?

bbell

WKR
Been looking for a jacket to fill in some gaps. Wear my nano puff pretty much all the time but would like something more water resistant. Mostly around town where I’m in and out of places and get caught between down pours.

Usually layer but it’s nice to have something more water resistant that’s not full on winter wear. Thought about just a regular soft shell but I always get to cold in them.

What are your thoughts? Also trying to keep it around $100. Thanks!

I halted on posting anything for a while as my brain kept going back to just throwing a shell over the top of the nano puff....but recognized that's not what you wanted.

My first thought was something like the Arc'Teryx Proton Hybrid (replaced the FL), but it probably wouldn't provide enough warmth for what you want with insulation only in the shoulders/chest. The Proton FL has a face fabric that's a bit more resistant than the nano, but that's quite a bit more expensive than $100. I'm also not sure how long of "downpour" it could stand before wetting out. I haven't tried one, but I know the Patagonia DAS Light Hoody is also praised its water resistance by some users.

Edit: the Proton LT has has a more resistant face fabric is what I meant to say. The hybrid would too as far as that goes.

Last edited:
OP
B

bbell

WKR
Thanks I’ll check that one out. Yeah the easy solution is just throwing a rain layer over.

eamyrick

WKR
I’ve been having the same thoughts. I love my nano puff and will always have one but just tried out the SG Cirque Jacket at DSC and I think it has similar warmth with a burlier outer shell. With that said, I lived in a Nano puff for 7 days in Alaska on a float trip, using an Arcteryx Zeta as a shell shell and was super warm and the Nano always dried out quickly despite the air being a swamp.

Drenalin

WKR
I haven't owned a Nano Puff, so this may not be similar enough to be what you're looking for:

Outdoor Vital Loftek Jacket

I love mine, but you'll want to size up. Not a heavy winter puffy, but it is surprisingly warm for its weight and features like the drop tail and the high collar help that. The outer fabric is wind and water resistant; I haven't wetted mine out, but I don't sit out in continuous rain in it without an actual shell. My only gripe is the lack of chest pocket.

I love my nano puff as well, I have one in blaze orange just for hunting…….but it’s not weather resistant. My search brought me to the Torrid jacket from Enlightened Equipment. I have a jacket in black and a pullover in blaze orange. I have worn the jacket in cold wet seasons in Colorado, Washington and Alaska with no issues. I recently wore my pullover during a SD bird hunt when it was retarded cold out.

OP
B

bbell

WKR
Nice thanks for the replies. I’ll check those out as well