Lightweight Sleeping System

jherald

WKR
I guess I should have said I'm liking the design of it, much better than a sleeping bag as it appears more versatile. I'm going to pick one up. I like the idea of it as a blanket for glassing in the cold, and then using it as a sleeping bag at night. Anyone who has glassed on a mountain in the wind after hiking to the top, even after adding layers when you get to the top, knows it can get cold in a hurry after you've been sweating. Even if you layered very light on the climb up, there is still going to be a lot of sweat to cool you down. Sitting for several hours, stationary, it just gets cold no matter what. Even in August here in AK, it can be 20-40 degrees colder on the mountain than it is at the base of the mountain. Weather can vary by the extreme.

I would not mind carrying the weight of a quilt while hiking and have it to cover myself with during glassing to be comfortable, also you never know when your going to have to siwash. I like the ProdigyX series, looks good for the price. I think with the layers I'm already carrying, sleep would be fine in it in cooler weather at night, especially under a bivy or closed in tarp. But more or less, May-August, even stretching into September here, the 30 or 20 degree quilt looks like it will do the job.

Overall for comfort, for a couple of guys 5'8'' and 5'9'', around 165-170, would you recommend the regular fit or the wide, i know some companies tend to run narrow, some tend to run wide, I have a standard fitting Integral Designs bag that runs a little wide, so I know they will vary from manufacturer.

mhunter

FNG
one more recommendation regarding the fabrics. Some of the fabrics are pretty close to waterproof,but negative thing is if you select this kind of fabric for both sides of the quilt it will be difficult to put into stuff sack because it also almost "air-proof". So, you will have hard time to stuff it back after use. My quilt is last year model and for top I selected same fabric what TiGoat uses in their bivies (=very water/wind resistant) and for inside very soft breathable fabrick. My quilt is very easy to stuff back to sack. For sizing I would follow what Tim mention in his website.

jherald

WKR
MHunter, you would recommend getting the wide version of whatever size one would choose?

littlebuf

Banned
Overall for comfort, for a couple of guys 5'8'' and 5'9'', around 165-170, would you recommend the regular fit or the wide, .

sounds like you and your hunting buddy are pretty close, but id get a wide for sure if theres two of in that thing.LOL

jherald

WKR
Hey, don't ask don't tell right?

Seriously though, two bags for two guys. The only time I will ever share a sleeping bag with another man is if we will die of exposure if we don't, otherwise, your on your own.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
one more recommendation regarding the fabrics. Some of the fabrics are pretty close to waterproof,but negative thing is if you select this kind of fabric for both sides of the quilt it will be difficult to put into stuff sack because it also almost "air-proof". So, you will have hard time to stuff it back after use. My quilt is last year model and for top I selected same fabric what TiGoat uses in their bivies (=very water/wind resistant) and for inside very soft breathable fabrick. My quilt is very easy to stuff back to sack. For sizing I would follow what Tim mention in his website.

As I mentioned earlier I have an EE Epiphany quilt made with cuben fiber (both sides) and the quilt is waterproof and vapor proof. It has a sack pump which is a cuben fiber tube that allows air to be pumped into the quilt and also removed. I've had no problems stuffing the quilt into a stuff sack. It is no different than any other quilt. All I do is stuff the quilt into the stuff sack starting with the end opposite the sack pump. As the quilt is stuffed the air is pushed out the sack pump. The last thing pushed into the stuff sack is the sack pump.

As I mentioned earlier I have an EE Epiphany quilt made with cuben fiber (both sides) and the quilt is waterproof and vapor proof. It has a sack pump which is a cuben fiber tube that allows air to be pumped into the quilt and also removed. I've had no problems stuffing the quilt into a stuff sack. It is no different than any other quilt. All I do is stuff the quilt into the stuff sack starting with the end opposite the sack pump. As the quilt is stuffed the air is pushed out the sack pump. The last thing pushed into the stuff sack is the sack pump.

I would be real interested in seeing a video of "blowing" up your quilt as well as stuffing it into the stuff sack... Sounds like a novel idea...

Mike

I bought a standard Revelation quilt this last year. Haven't used it yet. Looking forward to giving it a shot. Here's the order details for anyone that is curious. I've tried the quilt on my bed with my Exped Synmat UL7 just to get a feel for roominess. I can already tell I'll be happier than in my Western Mountaineering Highlite.

Revelation Quilt
Width/Taper: WIDE/Half Taper
Inside Color: Charcoal 10D
Outside Color: Aspen Green 15D WR
Fill: 30% Overfill
Size/Temperature: 6' ~ 30° Temp.