Lightweight rifle shootout - Tikka T3 vs Howa Alpine

Okay, as promised...

Now that I have my Howa Alpine thrown together, I needed to do a range test vs. my stainless Tikka with a couple different Barnes bullets, just to see what they liked best.

Rifle 1 is my stainless Tikka T3 in 7mm-08, with factory rings and a 10 oz. Weaver K6 scope. Total weight - 6 lbs. 14 oz.

Rifle 2 is my Howa Alpine with Talley rings and an 11 oz. Leupold 3-9x40 Am. Marksman scope. Total weight - 6 lbs. 11 oz.

Loads are 120 and 140-grain Barnes TTSX over 42 and 41 grains of IMR 8208 XBR, respectively.

MV's are:
3000 for the 120 and 2900 for the 140 out of the Tikka's 22.4" medium contour barrel
2900 for the 120 and 2840 for the 140 out of the Howa's 20" lightweight contour barrel.

A couple notes:

1) Clearly I am not an expert shot with either of these rifles. In fact, I was downright disappointed in my shooting this evening and I expect a little better of myself.
2) the Tikka is at a distinct advantage with the longer and heavier contour barrel. So I was expecting better groups from it despite the fixed 6x scope (which I have never seen as a disadvantage due to it's sharpness and brightness).
3) The felt recoil was less with the Howa and Bansner stock. What they say about that stock is true. It definitely delivers less felt recoil than the plastic Tikka stock. But it also has a better recoil pad, so that could be part of it.
4) Although they are both light rifles, the Howa is definitely easier to carry and more maneuverable. The short action combined with a barrel that's 2 1/2" shorter makes it feel completely different than the Tikka, and if I'm heading into brush or close quarters or an enclosed blind, I'm absolutely grabbing the Howa.
5) Clearly, neither rifle liked the 120's all that much. They have shot well from the Howa (today was the worst group I've shot with them so far) but I think I'll be sticking with the 140's from these rifles in the future.

I want to run this test again after I have time to do some load development for the Howa. I have a feeling I can get it under an inch with both the 120's and 140's with a little work.

At the end of the day, I'm not really surprised at the results. I expected the 120's to shoot better from both rifles, but the 140's were just about what I expected based on my experience with each of these guns. I am not sure I will ever get the Howa to shoot as well as the Tikka, but they are very different rifles and I plan to use them for different situations.

Attachments

• IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0437.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Keep in mind I'm using identical loads for two different rifles. I would like to use the TTSX (and obviously should use the 140's from the Tikka) but if I have to switch to another bullet for the Howa, I will.

Also, if you average the two, I'm not really sure the Tikka did outshoot the Howa. Not by much if it did.

That Howa is a great looking rifle. FWIW I've owned a few Howa's and been around a few, I haven't found one yet that liked monolithic bullets as much as lead bullets. My neighbors Howa 7mm08 shoots 145 Speer hot cors better than any custom gun.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
That Howa is a great looking rifle. FWIW I've owned a few Howa's and been around a few, I haven't found one yet that liked monolithic bullets as much as lead bullets. My neighbors Howa 7mm08 shoots 145 Speer hot cors better than any custom gun.
Yea, I had a few leftover 139 SST's and this Howa gobbled them up great. But I'm trying to make the move to monos, so it will eat copper and like it! :D

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I took the Howa Alpine back to the range today to try another 120-grain TTSX load. Groups were wild enough that I began questioning my scope and the new Talley rings. So I pulled everything off, retorqued the rings, reinstalled the scope and ran the original load again. And voila' ! This is more what I'm used to with my Howas. I was hoping it would eat the 120 TTSX's well, since that's what I plan to use for whitetails.

First (high) shot was a sighter (got that close bore sighting through the barrel so I was very pleased!). Next three cloverleafed. Now we're talkin' ;)IMG_3736.JPG