Lightweight Packrafts

Rooster46

FNG
Anyone have experience with the Kokopelli Hornet lite Packraft? Looking for a raft to cross rivers during November mule deer hunts. I like the size and weight but are they durable?

I use an Alpacka Scout for those type of situations. Any ultralight packraft is going to be less durable than a whitewater version, such as my Wolverine. Just carry a patch kit, ie. Tyvek Tape, and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rooster46

FNG
I use an Alpacka Scout for those type of situations. Any ultralight packraft is going to be less durable than a whitewater version, such as my Wolverine. Just carry a patch kit, ie. Tyvek Tape, and you’ll be fine.

I sure like the scouts weight! Any issues with your pack/gear/animals being secured? The hornet won me over with the 4 tie down rings.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I also have a scout. While it’s mostly my wife’s raft, I’ve used it as a trailer for meat with my bigger raft and used it to cross some rivers. I’ve heard of guys using it to line sheep out of places rather than packing.

OP
R

Rooster46

FNG
Right on. I sure appreciate the feedback. This is a completely new concept for me.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Very easy to add tie downs to packrafts. I put a front and rear handle on my Alpacka Classic, a rear on my Forager, and a few extra tie down points on both.

Video:

I use Stabond U-148 and have no complaints. It came recommended from Luc Mehl, who's sort of the godfather of Alaska Packrafting currently. His website is worth a look for anyone new to the game.

While you're add it, consider grabbing Luc's Packrafting guide. It's easily worth its weight in gold.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rooster46

FNG
You weren’t kidding, his website is outstanding. Very thorough and helpful. Attaching handles and tie downs does not seem to be a hard task.

Mdanks

FNG

What's the average weight for a raft like yours?

LilBit

FNG
I have no experience with packrafts but have looked at this guy's stuff. Could be a good option if you don't mind putting in a little work.

OP
R

Rooster46

FNG
I have no experience with packrafts but have looked at this guy's stuff. Could be a good option if you don't mind putting in a little work.

That’s a great option. Unfortunately all of his kits are sold out.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Maybe my friends are a bunch of dumbasses but everybody I’ve known who did one of those had issues.

Mt Al

WKR
That’s a great option. Unfortunately all of his kits are sold out.

I've made three diypackrafts and all three required me to find leaks and go back over the tape with the 'hot shoe' or add glue. Really not a big deal and his tape is now a bit wider. They do take a lot of time to build, fun winter project if you have time, and you can customize to suit every need, but you can do that with Alpackas, too.

Kokopelli/Alpackas are worth every penny IMHO, especially the Alpackas. I think Alpackas are sewn first, then seam taped - nice...

If you're just crossing rivers close to where you park, light weight won't mean as much as durability. If you're packing miles to the river you plan on crossing, I take that back! Inflatable PFD, carbon paddle and well thought out floor and seat will save space and weight as well.

I built one normal/single-person packraft and it would be really tight to pack my backpack, rifle, quartered/bagged critter and myself. So tight I'd plan two trips across if I was successful.

Then I built a two person version, the version prior to the current one he has on his website. It would be fine for person/pack/rifle/critter. Since you're packing a paddle/pfd/seat/floor the extra weight of a slightly larger raft isn't too bad, but would add up if you're packing it miles into the back country.

If I hadn't built my 2 person diypackraft, I'd buy a Forager and still might. Killer design without too much of a weight penalty.

Hope you share whatever you buy and blood that thing this fall.

Plan on 6lbs plus (w/ paddle & other gear) and some bulk. I went with the Yukon Yak. A bit more stout than the Scout, I'm a big boy. 6', 235lbs with a huge backpack.

yukonyak.jpgyukonyak2.jpgyukonyak3.jpg

Last edited:
I've made three diypackrafts and all three required me to find leaks and go back over the tape with the 'hot shoe' or add glue. Really not a big deal and his tape is now a bit wider. They do take a lot of time to build, fun winter project if you have time, and you can customize to suit every need, but you can do that with Alpackas, too.

Kokopelli/Alpackas are worth every penny IMHO, especially the Alpackas. I think Alpackas are sewn first, then seam taped - nice...

If you're just crossing rivers close to where you park, light weight won't mean as much as durability. If you're packing miles to the river you plan on crossing, I take that back! Inflatable PFD, carbon paddle and well thought out floor and seat will save space and weight as well.

I built one normal/single-person packraft and it would be really tight to pack my backpack, rifle, quartered/bagged critter and myself. So tight I'd plan two trips across if I was successful.

Then I built a two person version, the version prior to the current one he has on his website. It would be fine for person/pack/rifle/critter. Since you're packing a paddle/pfd/seat/floor the extra weight of a slightly larger raft isn't too bad, but would add up if you're packing it miles into the back country.

If I hadn't built my 2 person diypackraft, I'd buy a Forager and still might. Killer design without too much of a weight penalty.

Maybe my friends are a bunch of dumbasses but everybody I’ve known who did one of those had issues.
I bought And built his original design which is basically the same as the alpacka scout. It took a lot of time and spent a lot of time fixing leaks once I got it built. After I finished it i said never again, I’ll just buy the aplacka raft and be done. Their seams are sewn and welded not just welded, big big difference. Also learned that one needs to have built several rafts before you can actually make one without dealing with tons and tons of leaks.

OP
R

Rooster46

FNG

Absolutely! Thank you for your info. I will be buying either an alpaca or kokopelli. The rogue lite looks a lot beefier with only a half pound weight increase compared to the hornet. The alpaca caribou looks like it will do it all with a great reputation and stays under 5 pounds. Rogue Lite or alpaca caribou? That’s my final decision to make.

Mt Al

WKR
Also learned that one needs to have built several rafts before you can actually make one without dealing with tons and tons of leaks.

Truth! That or a bunch of practice on throw-away parts to get the technique down. If the iron's foot isn't perfectly flat, you're only bonding a smaller part of the tape to the fabric. Then learning the iron's settings and how that melts fabric vs. melts only the TPU under the tape and on top of the fabric. Etc.

I bought a flexible silicon baking pan, cut the bottom out to go under whatever I'm bonding. The flexible surface gives some forgiveness to 'not perfectly flat' shoe on the iron. Helped a ton, as did learning how to use the iron better.

Commercial seam taping machines blast hot air between the tape and the fabric over flexible rollers, moving at a set speed and get an almost perfect bond every time. The Alpaca people have made thousands of rafts, much higher level of confidence.

I'll still make diypackrafts, his designs get better with every new one, enjoy the process of modifying the designs and customizing and each one gets easier and better, but it does take time to learn the process. Still plan on buying a Forager, too.