Lightweight Backpacking Tent Recommendations

JPM8765

FNG
Hi All,
I am going on my first archery elk hunt this September and was wondering what tents you all would recommend? I have done a fair bit of research, but there is a lot of information out there. Any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

Kuiu Mountain Star has been an excellent lightweight tent for me. Used it for everything from early September archery to late October rifle hunts. Handles weather well, breathes, plenty of storage. I do just use it as a 1-person tent, but we all like to spread out and have our own space.

Rfranke

FNG
I am a big fan of the Big Agnes Copper Spur tent. Size and weight are a good balance for me. I tend to gravitate to the free standing tents. Nemo also offers some good options. I have gone with ultra light tarps in September but the comfort of a good free standing tent for me was with the extra size and weight. Take into account what and where you are going be to be hunting. How far are you going to hike? Will you be moving every night or come back to your tent? Depending on where you are going the weather can certainly be a factor. Will you be solo or sharing a tent with someone? I like the 2 man options for September but the extra space of a 3 man is nice when you have more gear and get into colder temps. I’ll add I’m a small guy and the guys I hunt with are not above average size. I doubt man big guys would like the 2 man option as much as I do. I found a lot of the top tier tents are similar in size, weight, and features. I’d suggest finding a retail location where you can take them out and set them up to see what feels the best for you.

A floorless mid is easy mode and works well in all but the most condensation-prone or buggy conditions. Both those can be mitigated as well.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned, so many different options but this will depend on your specific situation. You'll probably have to provide more detail. What style of hunt you're planning, how many people will be using the shelter.....and maybe most importantly, your experience/skill level when it comes to backpacking and different shelter types. A lot of us prefer floorless options, but there's definitely a learning curve there.

Gone4Days

WKR
Cost?
Money isn’t an object? Zpacks Duplex
Budget? Big Agnus Copper Spur

I have both after owning many tents. Both are A+

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu Mountain Star has been an excellent lightweight tent for me. Used it for everything from early September archery to late October rifle hunts. Handles weather well, breathes, plenty of storage. I do just use it as a 1-person tent, but we all like to spread out and have our own space.
I use the mountain star as well. I'm sure you find lighter if you want to go minimalist.
Big thing for me is the fact that the poles are external and the inner tent can be left attached to the fly. This allows me to pitch it in rain without the inside getting wet. I'm in SE AK so it rains alot.

taskswap

WKR
I'm a fan of cheap gear and usually run the River Country Trekker 2. I like that it fits me plus all my gear with room to spare and has a full "bathtub" floor. Packed weight with aluminum stakes and a quick-deploy ridgeline is 2lbs 15oz. Not bad for $70. I like camping in timber stands for wind protection but you can use this with trekking poles if you prefer free-standing.

Big fan of the Nemo hornet 2per tent, it has two vestibules and feels like the perfect size for a hunting usage. With all the gear you end up with one side and a spot to make meals. They call it a two person but I’d really only allow that in a life or death situation because it would require far too much cuddling.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a fan of cheap gear and usually run the River Country Trekker 2. I like that it fits me plus all my gear with room to spare and has a full "bathtub" floor. Packed weight with aluminum stakes and a quick-deploy ridgeline is 2lbs 15oz. Not bad for $70. I like camping in timber stands for wind protection but you can use this with trekking poles if you prefer free-standing.
Mines been solid. Seam sealed it and she’s ready to go another season. Packs down to nothing and is perfect me solo hunting with all my gear. Prolly one of the best cheap pieces of gear going imo.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I use a copper spur 1p it’s great and light, I’d like the space of a 2p but it’s worth the weight savings to me to to deal with very little storage space.

balkodd

FNG

+1 on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sargent

WKR
We should start a "cheap" or "budget gear" thread.

I have three different tents depending on what I am doing all are double walled because condensation is a problem in western Washington. The first two are trekking pole tents but I had collapsible carbon fiber poles made for them for when I don’t want to use my trekking poles.
The SlingFin SplitWing is used for lightweight minimal gear scouting trips. It can be used as a tarp or a double walled tent. Not fond of the front entrance and very little usable vestibule room.

The Tarptent Notch is for early hunts where the weather is generally mild. It has two vestibules and the side entrance is very easy to enter.

The SplitWing Portal is a lightweight freestanding two person three season tent that is almost a four. It is pretty bomb proof and can incorporate your trekking poles into the structure for some impressive load ratings. It is used for later hunts when weather is an issue.

Dyneema tents are lighter but you have to be gentle when packing it up. I prefer to stuff the tent into a stuff sack and go. Dyneema has to be folded up. Creasing it can cause pin holes. So you are supposed to fold it and roll it up to limit the creases.