Lightweight backpack pulley system

Does anybody have any information on a backpack pulley system? I've got a moose hunt this season and I will be hunting solo most of the time. Looking to keep something in my pack all season and if I need to move a huge animal I can do it by myself.

cheers

OP
F
Well shoot, sorry folks. I was searching for the wrong thing. I think I found the post about such topic.

Marble

WKR
I make my own. Let me see if I can find them. I can put an elk in a tree all by myself. Probably weighs a pound.

Multiple options, materials, weights, working loads...

+1 for this or nautical tact in general. I looked into this concept a couple of years ago. Rock climbing / mountaineering stuff is going to be the strongest and lightest stuff but it is overbuilt for just moving or hanging game. It had its place but it will be $$$. I put together a system that lets me hang deer solo for less than half the costs using stuff from my local sailing / marine supply store.

Marble

WKR
Mine are 3 wheels on each side, similar to the one just below in the link. We use 550 cord through the pulleys and another rope for attachment. It costs us around $100 per set to make them.

Maverick1

WKR
Made my setup from paracord, harken, and a nite ize cam jam for a moose hunt. Camjam is especially important. Practiced with it on a tree and sandbags of various weights in the front yard....important to get the paracord length correct as the pulley ratio requires a bit more length of paracord than you’d think.....neighbors thought I was nuts. Worked exceptionally well. Hoists moose and elk quarters solo, with minimal effort.

Maverick1

WKR
For those that wanted to know, I used the following:
Harken Block-Carbo 40 Fiddle: 1.8 oz, 485 max working load
Harken Block-Carbo 40 Fiddle with beckett: 1.9 oz, 485 lb max working load

I ordered mine from West Marine (I have no association with them, just the only place that I could find what I was looking for - at the time....)

Having the pulleys be in-line with each other is key.....otherwise I found that the paracord got tangled up pretty badly.....(I originally tried to use two Bluewater double pulleys with becket, and as I raised and lowered the sandbags, the ropes got closer and closer to each other....which was clearly NOT the way to go. I found the in-line pulleys to work much better).

OP
F
Good info right here. FYI this is for a backcountry moose hunt. I'm worried the moose will die in some nasty spot and I'll be solo. Need to winch it into a better spot. I'm a rock climber so I might just use some of my gear but it's nice to see what others do.

cheers

Maverick1

WKR
OP - the system I described above was for hanging moose quarters..... I didn't catch you intend to relocate the entire whole animal....if that is the case then the system I described above would likely not be adequate.......good luck though!

Good info right here. FYI this is for a backcountry moose hunt. I'm worried the moose will die in some nasty spot and I'll be solo. Need to winch it into a better spot. I'm a rock climber so I might just use some of my gear but it's nice to see what others do.

cheers

Depending on the location, finding something to attach to can be tough, especially if hunting tundra. I can tell ya two things about moose hunting. Where you shoot it will determine how miserable or easy the recovery will be. Moose are often moving in a single direction, patience is key in waiting for the shot that is away from a deep ravine and perhaps near a trail or road. Wait for a spot where recovery is easier and when you do shoot, double lung that suck and try to clip the heart/aorta too. Drop em quick or they'll head to the next zip code.

screensaver.jpg
MOOSEINMIST.jpg

Marble

WKR
20190804_133609.jpg113699

We have several of these. We have enough to carry two each of we have our horses. But usually I only carry one. Three pullies on each side, paracord a 750 lbs (I think) rated rope to attach to trees. With one of there pulley systems I can put an elk by myself. I normally hang them like a hammock just a few feet off the ground.

It cost us around $100 or so per pulley set. It weighs .90 pounds. 20190804_133609.jpg20190804_133541.jpg

bmf0713

WKR
I have some SMC pulleys, 50ft of 7000lb dyneema winch rope and a couple of carabiners. Weighs about 1.25 lbs. could be lightened up some too.