Are lightweight baselayer bottoms a waste?

OP
E
I wear light merino base bottoms. I wear them for warmth. Kuiu merino but do have a pair of light Peloton that I’ll wear now and then. The Peloton are slightly heavier than the merino and are a bit warmer. I run hot when active so I never wear anything heavier than the lightest options. This goes for snow sports as well as hunting no matter how cold it is. When stationary glassing I put the down pants on over the top of pants.
120s or 145s from kuiu?

I'm a big fan of lighter Merino rather than heavier. I really went through a lot of testing to realize that for me light merino is my best option if I chose merino.

OP
E
I tend to run warm, especially when moving/active. I’ve simplified my “bottoms system” to this…
Year round, only pants I wear are Kutana Stretch Woven. They’re lightweight, dry fast and extremely durable.
Late season, if it’s super cold and I’m not moving and need extra warmth, I wear zip off Peloton 97 bottoms under my pants. My size XL weigh 5 oz.
If I start hiking or it warms up, zip em off in a few seconds and go. I also sleep in them if it’s cold enough.
Those two pieces are all I’ve needed. I live at 5,000 ft and am mostly between there and 9,000 ft.
Simple, I like that. I was fishing this morning and wearing a light base layer under wrangler outdoor pants to see how I liked the combo and it wasn't bad at all. Do you find that the wind cuts through the kutanas with a baselayer under them?

OP
E
Like the others have said. With western hunting I can pretty much ONLY use light baselayers. I used a heavier set of kuiu merino's 200 I think, when it's bitter cold only occasionally, and still put on puffy pants to sit and glass.
Peleton 97 zip offs are almost all I use now and I seldom use those till it's below 30 under attack pants. Legs are just something that seem pretty resilient to the cold and moisture management doesn't seem like an issue to me with breathable pants.
However, if it's a nasty wet day, I'll head out with peleton baselayers under chugach rain pants and wear that set up all day and leave the attacks in the truck or Basecamp. Then moisture management matters more. Lightweight Merino is nice but they fail after about a week of use so screw that $$$. And they don't stretch and move as nice for me. At least the ones I've tried
I'm a big fan of synthetics, but I will say that the new sitka merino 120 has really challenged my opinion on the matter. So far its the best Merino I have used which is what is leading me to look at the lightweight merino bottoms as a possible option

OP
E
I wear Kuiu Kutanas whether its 0* or 100* out. I layer under as needed and thin base layers are part of that. I don't understand how thick pants sell. Even if its super cold I may only be using the Kutana's with no base layers if I am doing something high exertion. Why would I ever want to lock myself into any kind of high warmth baseline with thicker pants? Maybe if I know temps are never going over freezing for the entirety of a hunt?
As a part time western hunter the heavier weight pants make the most sense for deer hunting in the upper midwest/north like we do here. When its really cold and windy a thicker pant like the mountain pant, dakota pant, or timberline really help a cold weather wussy like me when bibs aren't a good option. I never wear heavyweight pants elk hunting or mule deer hunting but the Dakotas are the best darn whitetail pant for everything past october 1 for me here.

That said, I think a light pant with layering potential is more versatile for sure. Especially for active hunts

OP
E
I wear the classic Sitka lightweight until it hits the 40s then its heavy merino bottoms. I use the lightweight more for scent control and then comfort being a PA whitetail hunter who's in a ladder stand a couple hundred hours a year. I've come to prefer the layer under my Equinox pants when warmer temps. Socks go on over the base then my LaCrosse boots as I always have a muddy or wet possibly where I hunt.

I actually went the other way, and have started using heavier synthetics in the cold and light merino in the heat. I'm not sure I'll stay that way forever, but I found more warmth for myself personally with a heavier synthetic bottom when I'm deer hunting all day. Maybe a product of the weight I am using so I will need more testing to be sure

OP
E
I've been wondering this myself. It's tough to convince me it's cold enough to need a lightweight bottom but not cold enough to wear a heavier weight bottom. That seems like a very narrow and temporary window. Personally, I haven't found "leg sweat" to be a significant issue when hunting, other than when I have the heavy bottoms on and suddenly need to hustle up. I'm kind of the mindset if you need light long johns, you probably don't need long johns.
Thats where my head is as well but it seems like others have found success with it so I may be investing to try them out

OP
E
I haven't used light base layers in years. I'm in the kuiu kutana camp, but only 30f- 100f deg range. Once below freezing I usually wear a fleece lined version like the guide if I'm active. Or if stationary I do heavy base layer bottoms.

When I'm active and it's cold I prefer not to have base layers as my legs feel much less constrained with a fleece lined pant.
Do I have to get a pair of Kutanas? Is that the real issue here? Sounds like a lot of recommendations for them!

BBob

WKR
120s or 145s from kuiu?
The older original merino 145's. If or when I need to replace them (I have 2 pairs) I'll probably buy the 120's. I bought a 120 top to try. Softer, lighter feel.

Do I have to get a pair of Kutanas?
Kutana's are great. I have a couple of pairs. I still prefer my Tiburon's and wear them in the field probably 90% of the time and mostly wear the Kutana as an everyday pant. Tiburon's are a looser fit and that's my preference. Even though the Kutana's are stretchy I don't like the tighter fit and that stretchy pant feel. I'd say most people are the opposite and seem to prefer the Kutana.

Last edited:

TSAMP

WKR
Do I have to get a pair of Kutanas? Is that the real issue here? Sounds like a lot of recommendations for them!
They are a slim fit nylon pant. Nothing inspiring but for a skinny guy with no butt I appreciate the fit. Kutanas are my pheasant hunting pant 90% of the season. They're tough. I just got the kuiu brush pants, thinking I was missing out on some protection but can't say I'm blown away just yet. Probably gonna rock kutanas 80% the time now.

TaperPin

WKR
I’m the same as BBOB - a thin base layer is still just for warmth. Many of the guys who have moisture issues wear way too much and don’t shed layers soon enough. The advice given to reduce moisture issues by an old mountaineer was to always shed enough layers to be a little cold while moving, because cold people aren’t sweating. If cold people sweat they would die of hyperthermia.

Heavy outer pants are probably contributing to moisture issues with many folks because they don’t breath well and can’t be shed doing physical things.

We all have different preferences - my toes are warmer with a little extra insulation on the legs. If the toes are warm I’ve hiked through a lot of spring snow in shorts.

Ho5tile1

WKR
As a deer hunter I use a light base layer of its chilly and a heavy when it’s cold if it’s cold I walk in in my base layer unless the spot I hunt I know is super thick I toss my kuiu kutanas over them then when I’m at the tree I get everything set up then toss my fanatic on. It sucks when you first get out of the truck cause your cold but you know your gonna sweat walking to the tree so you just have to suck it up and be cold till the walking warms you up.. that’s better then sweating to death being wet in the tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave0317

WKR
For a backcountry hunt, I don’t pack light base layer bottoms anymore.

In early fall, I usually don’t wear anything under my pants, but I hate overheating and sweating. I stay pretty mobile too. If I’m sitting a glassing spot or ambushing a funnel, I’ll bring a fleece bottom layer. If it’s not cold enough for that, I’d rather not wear anything extra down there. One of my pet peeves is when you have a buddy or group and you start moving in the morning, and 15 minutes into walking, someone wants to stop for 10 minutes so they can take a layer off that is making them too warm. Put up with a few minutes of uncomfortable cold, you will heat up soon after you start hiking up hill,

For whitetail or non-backcountry hunting, I’ll bring or wear whatever is comfortable.

Personally I dont think they are a waste but they should be used appropriately. My favorite to this day are the Kuiu 145 3/4 length zip offs. I have a couple pairs that I will use to augment my outer layers depending on Temps. I agree with Dave0317 start on the chilly side and you will be golden. When it is real cold throw on the base layer, the zip-offs make it extremely quick and easy to remove if needed so people aren't waiting on you.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it’s a balance with what you’re wearing and doing. I’m leaving tonight for a hunt and will be wearing a silk weight synthetic under my kutana pants (fairly lightweight). Mornings are expected to be 25-35° and the afternoons are 60-70°. I should be fine to not have to remove them since I’m usually not to active during the heat of the day. I have a midweight pair that would be too warm for this. I could wear a warmer pant but baselayers are cheaper than multiple pairs of pants.

I still wear my 25+ year old military issue brown polypropylene underwear, top and bottoms. They work great wicking moisture from your skin. Not too hot when it warms up. Keeps you dry and warm when your outerwear is wet. They worked great with ripstop BDUs and work just as good with modern technical hunting clothing.

For me... a 3/4 length zip off base layer and zip off down pants will cover just about anything I might do throughout the day. Hiking, glassing, napping, camp chores, etc...

Those 2 items with a versatile pant are great. I just add or remove layers as needed. The full zip feature is the key. Makes it so quick and easy to adjust the layers needed to regulated heat.

I use a lighter base (Kuiu 145) for more active Western hunting. Heavier for whitetail where longer sits and stationary stuff is more likely.

Last edited:
OP
E
The older original merino 145's. If or when I need to replace them (I have 2 pairs) I'll probably buy the 120's. I bought a 120 top to try. Softer, lighter feel.

Kutana's are great. I have a couple of pairs. I still prefer my Tiburon's and wear them in the field probably 90% of the time and mostly wear the Kutana as an everyday pant. Tiburon's are a looser fit and that's my preference. Even though the Kutana's are stretchy I don't like the tighter fit and that stretchy pant feel. I'd say most people are the opposite and seem to prefer the Kutana.
My favorote kuiu piece is the 145 hoodie. Love that thing for summer wear as a sun shirt! I do also have a 120 lt long sleeve, and I wear that one as a casual piece to the office more than anything. Haven't hunted it much but I like the 120 lt fabric quite a bit!

OP
E
They are a slim fit nylon pant. Nothing inspiring but for a skinny guy with no butt I appreciate the fit. Kutanas are my pheasant hunting pant 90% of the season. They're tough. I just got the kuiu brush pants, thinking I was missing out on some protection but can't say I'm blown away just yet. Probably gonna rock kutanas 80% the time now.
Ah, me and slim fit dont get together well.

My wife loves to call me thunder thighs lol

Im always in the market for a durable upland pant. I was going to try the FL sawbuck but have hrsrd mixed reviews. What are the kuiu brush pants missing in your opinion?

OP
E
For a backcountry hunt, I don’t pack light base layer bottoms anymore.

In early fall, I usually don’t wear anything under my pants, but I hate overheating and sweating. I stay pretty mobile too. If I’m sitting a glassing spot or ambushing a funnel, I’ll bring a fleece bottom layer. If it’s not cold enough for that, I’d rather not wear anything extra down there. One of my pet peeves is when you have a buddy or group and you start moving in the morning, and 15 minutes into walking, someone wants to stop for 10 minutes so they can take a layer off that is making them too warm. Put up with a few minutes of uncomfortable cold, you will heat up soon after you start hiking up hill,

For whitetail or non-backcountry hunting, I’ll bring or wear whatever is comfortable.
Man I did that to myself my first ever elk hunt. Started climbing in every layer I owned and meeded to take it off piece by piece every 10 min of the first hour LOL

Last edited: