Lightest solo tent with floor and big net?

sivart

WKR
I have the big Agnes copper spur 2 for when my daughter is with me. Looking for a lighter weight option for when I’m solo

Gone4Days

WKR
Zpacks Duplex, Altaplex or Plex Solo. I like the Duplex and it’s big enough for 2 and you can sell your BA to help offset the cost of the zpacks

OP
S

sivart

WKR
I don’t love the z pack tents because they require Treking poles. If you add their pole kit, they pretty much weigh the same as all the other freestanding tents

sargent

WKR
I've been using a Tarptent Aeon LI for a couple of years. It does take one trekking pole to pitch (or you can cut a stick in the field), but the fully-floored, bug-proof shelter weighs 19 ounces. Add a Black Diamond carbon Z trekking pole and you're still under 25 ounces.

DSC01604.JPG

FWIW - I just did a search for a 1 man tent After a Wyoming trip this year. I have a few tarps I like and a 2 person zpacks tent that is pretty light That I have used solo. based on what I saw, if you want 1P with a floor and full netting you are going to come in around 2#. the lightest options are dyneema and cost $$$.

- my brother has and doesn’t love a Zpaks Altaplex.
- that tarptent Aeon LI that @sargent has was high on my short list.
- I ended up with one of those Durston 1P tents that the lightweight crowd raves about. I have set it up but not had the chance to sleep in it. Bulid seems solid. Lots of room. Trail weight is under 2#. They offer poles for 3oz each If you don’t want to use trekking poles. $260 makes I a relative bargain. The dyneema version will be out next year and is supposed to be lighter but probably 2x the $$$.

Northpark

WKR
I like my Nemo hornet 2p even when I’m solo. I’ve actually used it a lot now that think about. I’m bought it on here for $200 and it’s the best tent I’ve owned. I have a SO cimmaron with a stove for cold late season hunts but the other 3 seasons I use the hornet. That being said I’ve got some spots I found this year that are stupid steep and hard to get into so for scouting and early season solo hunts I’m going with a Borah bivy and tarp this year for a 14oz package. And can ditch the tarp potentially as well to get weight down to 8oz. Really I’d ditch everything but my bag and pad early season but we have scorpions and tarantulas I’d rather keep off me at night.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If you’re searching for tents, spend some time reading backpacking light reviews.

My suggestion would be that durston x-mid if using trekking poles. It’s such a good designs and build quality. The tarp tent stuff as well, they have a great website come compare etc.

The biggest thing to watch on 1-man tents is ventilation, that’ll get you pretty quick if the design sucks. There’s less room and they get overwhelmed quickly. Secondly, watch the interior volume. Not all 1-P designs are reasonable, sloping walls can really make them quite useless. Thirdly - you need space for a lot more stuff when hunting than a typical through hiker, so vestibules/storage areas mean more.

I like my tarptent moment. I bought the mesh liner, but will likely buy the solid liner later. I wanted something I could leave and take my trekking poles. Sold my Durston xmid because of that. By the time I added poles to that setup it was heavier than the tarptent. Just my thoughts.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Is condensation an issue w the single wall tarp tent?
short answer is yes - it is an issue with ALL tents. Double wall protects from that, but only site location and ventilation can do anything about it appearing (and weather of course). It comes up as more of a concern with single-walls b/c there is no barrier between you and a wet wall. That and the reduced interior volume really make it stand out.

BBob

WKR
Is condensation an issue w the single wall tarp tent?

Yes it can be an issue with tarps and hybrid double/single walls like the Durston DCF’s and Tarptent Aeon Li’s. If you do something like the Tarptent Notch Li it’s a true double wall and still well under two pounds. Tarptent now has carbon poles available at I think 4oz each if you don’t use trekking poles. A Notch Li with those would be 30oz or so if I remember correctly.

I only use a solo tent during the warmer months and early seasons. If it is going to rain other than occasional showers I go with a two man. But when I use a solo ten the two I have are the Nemo spike ( discontinued) and the Slightly SlingFin SplitWing shelter. The Nemo is light but a single wall tent. The SlingFin is double walled and very versatile. And won’t break the bank.

WTSN

FNG
I've been using a Tarptent Aeon LI for a couple of years. It does take one trekking pole to pitch (or you can cut a stick in the field), but the fully-floored, bug-proof shelter weighs 19 ounces. Add a Black Diamond carbon Z trekking pole and you're still under 25 ounces.

View attachment 477171
That’s a sweet setup and so damn light. I’m gonna check those out

Another reason why I'm leaning toward the Tiger wall.

I wouldn't go with the tigerwall. I had one and it was far too delicate and didn't hold up to a few inches of snow very well. The material also wanted to say very badly when wet.

I now have a durston xmid2 and love it. If I wanted a 1 person, I would get their xmid1 for sure. I recommend looking at theirs.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
I wouldn't go with the tigerwall. I had one and it was far too delicate and didn't hold up to a few inches of snow very well. The material also wanted to say very badly when wet.

I now have a durston xmid2 and love it. If I wanted a 1 person, I would get their xmid1 for sure. I recommend looking at theirs.
The Durston requires trekking poles, correct?

The Durston requires trekking poles, correct?
yes. They sell poles Though. I picked up a set with mine. 6 oz for the pair so the whole rig is 36 oz. Haven’t fielded mine yet but it is roomy and plenty of length for my 6’3” self.

Yes I think they just started selling poles for them. I always have trekking poles anyway, so it's not a big deal to me.

I will say the one negative to that style of tent is that it's harder to set up in a really rocky area due to having to stake it down for a good tight pitch.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
So I have it narrowed down to: Zpacks plex, Tarptent Aeon, or Durston mid 1. Def want dynema material.

Plan on buy once, cry once, so not concerned with price. Hard to decide, as they all have pros and cons.