Lightest production 6.5 grendel

So looking for a new "lots and lots of walking, little shooting" AR rifle. Not interested in doing a build at this point. Just looking for suggestions of builders of the lightest complete, reliable, and at minimum hunting accuracy 6.5 Grendel rifles (can be custom builds but want someone who has been around/will be around and stands behind their work). Any suggestions, experiences, and approximate weights if you have them.
Thanks!!

**Would consider a bolt gun too but like a semi auto for coyotes and pigs. So, primarily looking at the AR platform at this point.**

TxLite

WKR
Not sure on how they compare to others in the weight department, but Sgt of Arms has one they call the light hunter. He built me an 18” Grendel upper a few years ago with a tbox barrel and it’s been a nice rifle. 4 shot group was at 300 yards with 2.5-12.5 accupoint and factory Hornady black. 5 shot was 100 yards with 100gr eldm handloads.

Attachments

• C6A7A826-4249-42E1-9231-8CC6CA37CC88.jpeg
    C6A7A826-4249-42E1-9231-8CC6CA37CC88.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 4675306B-40A6-4865-B20E-B7D5CDAC52DF.jpeg
    4675306B-40A6-4865-B20E-B7D5CDAC52DF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 1582CE65-CC0F-4007-8BA6-55F80A26AEFA.jpeg
    1582CE65-CC0F-4007-8BA6-55F80A26AEFA.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 29
OP
S
Not sure on how they compare to others in the weight department, but Sgt of Arms has one they call the light hunter. He built me an 18” Grendel upper a few years ago with a tbox barrel and it’s been a nice rifle. 4 shot group was at 300 yards with 2.5-12.5 accupoint and factory Hornady black. 5 shot was 100 yards with 100gr eldm handloads.
Thank you!! I'll check them out! Looks like yours shoots well!

My current AR setup is around 7.5ish lbs bare. Would like to shave a lb off but more would be better... A bolt gun with carbon fiber chassis and barrel maybe the best option for the extreme light weight.

**I'm not sure if this forum is where I should have posted the question. I put one over on the firearms side.**

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
I’m not sure what mine weighs. I can check it tonight. I didn’t specifically try to go ultra light with mine

I recently purchased a howa mini action in 6.5 grendel,all I could find local was the 22 inch barrel and took it to a smith to be trimmed to 18 inches now to find a lpvo for it and were off to the races, so far I've got a total of 525.00 into it including scope mounts and gunsmith shortening the barrel.

I recently purchased a howa mini action in 6.5 grendel,all I could find local was the 22 inch barrel and took it to a smith to be trimmed to 18 inches now to find a lpvo for it and were off to the races, so far I've got a total of 525.00 into it including scope mounts and gunsmith shortening the barrel.

Stocky has Carbon stocks in their bargain bin for these actions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's a bolt gun but the Howa Carbon Stalker is under 5 pounds for the Grendel.

TxLite

WKR
As a follow up, threw the grendel on the scale tonight and it came up at 7.4lb with a standard bcm lower. I’m sure weight could be cut in several places but not sure you’re going to get a whole lot lighter without doing a little DIY modification.

OP
S
It's a bolt gun but the Howa Carbon Stalker is under 5 pounds for the Grendel.

I've went back and forth on a bolt gun but a semi auto is hard to beat calling in multiple coyotes or smacking pigs. Have always been a bolt guy but have quickly seen the value in the autos.

OP
S
As a follow up, threw the grendel on the scale tonight and it came up at 7.4lb with a standard bcm lower. I’m sure weight could be cut in several places but not sure you’re going to get a whole lot lighter without doing a little DIY modification.
That's where mine comes in too. Thanks for weighing it! Not sure what I'll end up doing. Have seen a couple setups that state they are in that 6.4 range. Some of the light ones have carbon fiber barrels but I'm not completely sold on that in an AR yet.

TxLite

WKR
That's where mine comes in too. Thanks for weighing it! Not sure what I'll end up doing. Have seen a couple setups that state they are in that 6.4 range. Some of the light ones have carbon fiber barrels but I'm not completely sold on that in an AR yet.
There would be instant weight savings with a 16” vs this 18”. I’ve also seen quite a few 12.5” Grendel’s as well if you’re going to hunt shorter ranges. There are several areas to save weight but I think cost wise you’re better off going the Howa or Ruger American route. I’ve seen some ultra light AR’s with carbon handguards, short barrels, minimalist stocks, skeletonized receivers etc. but it gets pricey.

OP
S
There would be instant weight savings with a 16” vs this 18”. I’ve also seen quite a few 12.5” Grendel’s as well if you’re going to hunt shorter ranges. There are several areas to save weight but I think cost wise you’re better off going the Howa or Ruger American route. I’ve seen some ultra light AR’s with carbon handguards, short barrels, minimalist stocks, skeletonized receivers etc. but it gets pricey.
I do have a 12.5" atheris that should be here any day now. Going to have to SBR it. Just was looking for something I didn't have to worry about state lines etc. So staying with that 16" range is gonna be the goal.

I've been thinking real hard in a Howa.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Another Howa Mini fan here, Mines a .223 with an MAE moderator and a Weaver Classic 3-9x38.
I hacked up the original stock but it was still too bulky and flimsy for my tastes so
I fitted into a Model 7 stock because it's a big hassle to import the likes of a Stockys

It's currently at my gunsmith getting chopped to 18", flute the bolt and some cuts to slab the action.

Attachments

• 20221103_203231.jpg
    20221103_203231.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Basically I had to hog out all the bedding area and reconstruct it using JB Weld, take a little out of the bolt cutout, and there's still big gaps behind the mag well.

It works for me, it feels great in the hand and is shooting handloads just under an inch at 100.

I'd love a carbon stock but the stocks made here run US$1000+, and to get a Stockys works out to a similar cost with import taxes and a bunch of paperwork.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
Why the aversion to building an AR? It’d be perfect for this sort of thing since it’s a niche not many manufacturers cater to. Something like a KE Arms complete polymer lower, Odin Works 16” UL barrel, an Aero upper and a carbon fiber handguard should get you below 5lbs for around the same cost as a Howa Carbon. Or if you really want to be as off-the-shelf as you can, the complete KP15 lower and a Palmetto State complete upper would be either just over or just under 6lb depending on what barrel length you go with, for less than $700 too.

OP
S
Why the aversion to building an AR? It’d be perfect for this sort of thing since it’s a niche not many manufacturers cater to. Something like a KE Arms complete polymer lower, Odin Works 16” UL barrel, an Aero upper and a carbon fiber handguard should get you below 5lbs for around the same cost as a Howa Carbon. Or if you really want to be as off-the-shelf as you can, the complete KP15 lower and a Palmetto State complete upper would be either just over or just under 6lb depending on what barrel length you go with, for less than $700 too.
1) never done it. 2) I bought a "built" rifle and it's been a nightmare. One thing after another.

Finally gave up on it for now and bought another complete upper. It works great just heavier than I'd like it to be.

So obviously there is something to building one and evidently the fella that "built" the one I bought didn't have some things figured out. (Do know it was not a matching bolt to barrel and not sure the feed ramps are right or that it was properly headspaced--something--I ended up with a broken extractor, fixed that and then noticed my brass was getting scored pretty badly and also the bullet tips hit the feed ramps (reloads yes-but below OAL so it shouldn't have and doesn't in the new upper). So think the barrel has something going on with it one way or another (going to send it back to manufacturer and have them check it out and probably get a bolt from them at the same time.)

Just was tired of the headaches and needed something reliable for our night season going on now. Now wanting something light. Hesitant to embark on something I don't have the tools for or the experience. Afraid it will end up like the mess I just dealt with.

Last edited:

Owyhee H

FNG
+1 for the Howa. Mine is prior to the carbon stock but is the older 20" #1 barrel. If you don't like the mag (factory stinks) there are hinged plate options and others using better mags.