Lightest camp shoe?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
+2

A lot of my shoulder season outings I can count on wet shoes/boots; I like to dry my feet out thoroughly at camp and then don dry socks. If nature calls, need more wood on a fire etc I don't want to don wet footwear with dry socks. So I bring (a couple of grams in weight) Costco meat bags- pull them over my dry socks and into my wet shoes/boots to take care of any chores at camp.

If I'm bringing extra footwear it's because I foresee a lot of fording in my future and want something that grips decently and is very secure on my foot. In a pinch, with a total failure of a boot- I still have something I can hike out with. The fact that I can lounge in them at camp is just icing.

Thus my choice over sandals, crocs, etc- at the same or even less weight than Crocs

WXdjsMK.jpg

I took these along on a recent 4 day canoe trip. Wore them as my boat shoes. They were wet all day, but dried quickly in the evening.

Conditions on the river were pretty gnarly, so ended up a lot out of the canoe. The Vibram soles did great on the rocks. Would definitely not wanted to be in Crocs or similar; needed full lace up capabilities and decent outsoles.

They’ll be headed for the Brooks Range in a couple of weeks.

BDRam16

WKR
I took these along on a recent 4 day canoe trip. Wore them as my boat shoes. They were wet all day, but dried quickly in the evening.

Conditions on the river were pretty gnarly, so ended up a lot out of the canoe. The Vibram soles did great on the rocks. Would definitely not wanted to be in Crocs or similar; needed full lace up capabilities and decent outsoles.

What are those? Didn’t see it mentioned

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Arctyerx Norvan SL trail shoes; I waited for a sale and found them for half price

12 oz for the pair (size 11)

For just around camp I think Crocs are fine (sandals too), but if you're bringing shoes for possible fording- you want something that is lace up with good outsoles.

I think these are lighter than Crocs too

TheGDog

WKR
You mentioned Vibram soles and rocks. So is THAT the hot ticket for getting a boot with good grip on rocks? Like for crossing creeks... a Vibram sole? Honest question.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vibram soles come in probably 25+ varieties, but Vibram vs most molded soles are typically a step (or two) above for grip.

Not going to be beat a dedicated wading shoe (some even have cleats) for crossing creeks, but I doubt anyone would haul a wading shoe just for creek crossings.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I use teva sandals with the straps and the vibrant sole. Excellent grip and Im not worried about losing one during a river crossing. Weight seems negligent to me v. Crocs.

maya

FNG
I use Astral Brewers. Good for chillin at camp & crossing creeks. Make good boat shoes too. I sailed down the coast of California & Baja & island hopped in the sea of cortez, then bummed around mexico for about 6 months with the Astrals as my only footwear besides flip flops. Can be made warmer with wool socks if needed. They're not as light as crocs but they're close. They're slimmer & pack better though. And they look cooler IMO.

These maybe? Size 10, made in the USA, and only cost about $9.
56b5b337b2ee9e05ed01706ea586a363.jpg

19966cbbde0dea2c862e9a592c6a2c6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a quick little addition that helps these go into 4 wheel drive…
Buy some elastic cord and tie them through the back hole. Allows for a doubled up piece of elastic cord and keeps them really secured to your foot. Hopefully that makes sense without a picture.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

12 days in the Brooks range- these are GTG. I didn't know it, but when I landed the guide thought we would do some pack rafting. He had some lightweight Patagonia chest waders and they slipped into these perfectly. When backpacking, I got to use them on several creek fords and having laces and good grip was welcomed.

Qsd7dbk.jpg

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried these? Cheap/lightweight water shoe that looks super breathable with an amazon published weight of ~5.7 oz (not sure on sizing of published weight). Look like a solid option for camp shoe or water crossings.

xcutter

WKR
Has anyone tried these? Cheap/lightweight water shoe that looks super breathable with an amazon published weight of ~5.7 oz (not sure on sizing of published weight). Look like a solid option for camp shoe or water crossings.

I have been using a verison of these for the last 4 years. I haven't used them for any water crossing but great camp shoes at the end of the day in the backcountry. Kind of hard to get on when you need to get out of your tent to take a leak real quick though. They pack down flat. I usually put them in my hydration bladder sleeve of my pack.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi- certainly; Luke Tyrrell of Tyrrell Trails- recommended to me by several members here. Highly would recommend them to anyone. Besides a quality operation and guides- Luke, his brother and father are all pilots and they have their own planes (tire and float). I think this is a huge advantage over other outfitters that rely on private pilots. Tyrrell do all their own flying; and it's quite a bit moving guides/hunters/game and supplies here and there.

Mike