Lighters

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What is your use? If survival, carry a fire steel and a tinder kit with PJ soaked cotton balls, a trioxane tab, fat wood, and jute twine.

If you're lighting an alcohol stove then a fire steel will also work.

I've never had to go to the backup though. Bics work well.

I usually carry 1-2 bics, flint/steel, stormproof matches, and a little firestarter. I've used a variety of the butane lighters and broken every last one of them. Also not terribly functional in cold temps or high altitudes. If it's too windy for the bic, then the flint will light your canister stove nicely.

Yk

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a couple of Bic lighters and Coghlan's fire sticks (waterproof) in my pack for 25+ years. They always do the trick.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I'm the same. 2 bic's and a steel with vasaline soaked cotton balls.

Sometimes use the cotton balls to start a fire, but only cause I can. Bic aint failed me yet.

Besides, most of us carry a fuel burning stove. It will light a fire.

If your looking for a serious "I broke my leg and need a fire right now with just what I can crawl to" then carry a road flare wrapped in a ziplock and duct tape.

Lawnboi

WKR
I like my little fire steel. I never carry a lighter. But I do carry backup matches, and petroleum jelly cotton balls. Use the steel for starting the stove, and if I need a quick fire I usually light the stove to start the fire

sk1

WKR
Bic failed me in a blizzard with almost zero visibility.....however it was because no matter what I did for a wind break it would only stay lit for a second.....I now carry trioxane so that second will be long enough

OP
flatlander51
just watched a video on you tube about fire starters looks like with a bic and a flint/steel and some cotton balls in PJ should be all i need

Rizzy

WKR
2 small bics, fire steel, trioxane, and waterproof matches.

I find it easier to use a match to light a fire in my kifaru stove, so I recently put a small box of kitchen matches in the kit. Also I try to use pine pitch instead of trioxane when I find it. I would like to get to the point where I can reliably start a fire with squaw wood, pine pitch, and a fire steel in any weather.

I use to carry a magnesium fire starter instead of a fire steel, but it was heavy and hard to use.

If I know I'm going to be in snow or really cold conditions, I try to remember to put the bic in my pocket

muleman

WKR
I always have a bic in my pocket and one in the pack. They have met my needs well over the years.