Lighter recoiling elk rifle

slamdmini

FNG
My dad is looking to get a new rifle for elk. He's in his seventies now and would like a rifle/cartridge that is lighter recoiling but still good on elk. To give a bit of context he can shoot a .270 fine but a 30-06 is too much. He's looking for a couple things:
-Lighter on recoil
-Not too heavy so he can still carry it in the mountains
-threaded so he can use a suppressor.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys

Loper

WKR
The most common respnse you are going to get in this forum is probably a Tikka 243 or 6.5 CM for a light recoiling elk rifle. Some models are threaded others you can get cut and threaded. .Judt make sure he chooses the correct bullet, 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip for 243 and Hornady 140 ELD-M, 143 ELD-X, or Sierra 130 TMK.for the 6.5.

I’m sure others with have a few varying suggestions.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
It's all relative, but my 300WM suppressed is very manageable on recoil. My 6.5CM suppressed is basically recoilless. Also could look at an AR-10 in .308. It suppressed would be smooth too.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I'm happy with my 1:8 twist 243 T3x Lite cut and threaded at 17 inches. I hand load 108 ELD-Ms. A 6 Creedmoor barrel would get him access to great factory loads.

Mine has only taken 2 mountain goats, but the 6 mms take moose just fine for others up here.

A 6.5 Creedmoor T3x Lite cut and threaded at 16-20 inches would also be easy if he is fine with a 270.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
If he can handle a .270 then a 6.5 PRC would be a breeze with a brake or supressor!
Tikka or Browning XBolt would be amazing

jimh406

WKR
How heavy of a rifle does he want to carry? Does he/you reload or will it be factory ammo only?

As noted, a suppressor will reduce recoil. Short action non magnums generally do better with short barrels.

I think 7mm-08 or 308 is worth a consideration.

OXN939

WKR
To give a bit of context he can shoot a .270 fine but a 30-06 is too much.

Just killed a large cow elk with my 7mm-08, which sounds like exactly what you're looking for. That thing punches way above its paygrade with copper 120s. Minimal recoil, easy to find components and ammo, light and handy short action, great barrel life, good BC, easy to shoot accurately. Tough combo to beat for the lower 48 really.

Spoonbill

WKR
If he already has a 270 then just keep using that.
If he wants a new rifle a few people on this forum have shot elk with a 22 creed. @mxgsfmdpx killed a moose with one this year. You can have a tikka 22-250 1-8” punched out to 22 creed

Just killed a large cow elk with my 7mm-08, which sounds like exactly what you're looking for. That thing punches way above its paygrade with copper 120s. Minimal recoil, easy to find components and ammo, light and handy short action, great barrel life, good BC, easy to shoot accurately. Tough combo to beat for the lower 48 really.
What OXN939 said. 7-08 works great and has everything your looking for. My daughter shoots a Kimber Montana and I borrow it for the reasons you listed.

OP
S

slamdmini

FNG
Forgot to mention he doesn't reload so he'd be using factory loads. Id guess his 270 is between 9-10 lbs. And his current rifles are not threaded and he wants a suppressor. And I think he just wants a new toy. Haha. He has a 243 but I think it's a bit light for elk. I was thinking about a 7mm-08 but having not shot one I wasn't sure. Thanks for the help so far guys