Lighted Nock Question?

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. So I shoot 5mm Axis arrows for reference. But so I am using nockturnal shift lighted nocks. The only thing I haven't liked about them in the past is how heavy they are. But the off switch is nice and the nock fit is similar to a x nock. But last night when I was shooting one of my nockturnals broke on me. My arrow went flying way right, luckily my arrow is all good. But now I am nervous about the rest of them breaking, and more importantly breaking on an animal when it's colder outside.

It was like 75 degrees yesterday, so the nock wasn't brittle from the cold. And I don't feel like these nocks are that old and haven't been shot a ton. Do any of you have experience with this. And any of you have a lighted nock suggestion. I have heard good things about the halo nock. But from pictures they look "fatter" and it looks like the nock fit wouldn't be good. What are your guys' experiences/thoughts. Thanks!!

20240806_185541.jpg

taskswap

WKR
Have you shot them outside a fair bit? Plastic can get brittle with UV exposure as well. It could also have just been a bad injection-molding batch. It only takes one small bubble to weaken such a small area.

Jack84

FNG
Classified Approved
I’ve had the best luck with Halo lighted nocks but they all kinda suck. But the fit is good with them.

Reactions: Zac
OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Have you shot them outside a fair bit? Plastic can get brittle with UV exposure as well. It could also have just been a bad injection-molding batch. It only takes one small bubble to weaken such a small area.

Ya I have shot them outside a fair bit. But idk I feel like not enough to justify one breaking.

Ho5tile1

WKR
I think the halo nocks are 22 grains I’ve had a couple break like what you shown but they replaced them and so far that’s been the only issue I’ve had. Fit is good on my 5mm arrows. They are not as bright as the nocturnals imo. But plenty bright and all the others are holding up fine…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot the Halos last year after having nothing but problems with Nockturnals. No problems with the Halos yet and the fit is about the same as the Nockturnals. I'd recommend using a piece of paper bag to keep them securely in the arrow - that goes for both Nockturnals and Halos.

OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
I shot the Halos last year after having nothing but problems with Nockturnals. No problems with the Halos yet and the fit is about the same as the Nockturnals. I'd recommend using a piece of paper bag to keep them securely in the arrow - that goes for both Nockturnals and Halos.

This is some great info to know. Thanks! I think I might pick up some packs of halo nocks on the way home if my shop has em.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I had a "standard" .246" Nocturnal break during the shot last year, at an elk. I think the nock let go right as it was coming off the string, it didn't "dry fire" the bow and I still hit the elk through the lungs. Arrow had one heck of a nock right kick in flight. The recovered arrow showed that the whole outer portion of the nock was gone, only the core and light bulb portion remained. I don't know if the outer portion is just glued on or what, but I pretty much lost all confidence in using them.

Same as you, I had not shot it much. A few times in practice to check them out (I'm in Idaho so lighted nocks are a new thing to me) and then just enough to tune and sight in.

I am going to try Luminocks this year. I did some testing with them last fall and they hit POA with my hunting bow that was tuned and setup for the Nocturnals, so very similar fit. Hoping the Burt Coyote nocks they use will be a bit higher quality.
Luminocks take a bit more effort for good fit, they tend to fit too tightly into the arrow right out of the package and need to be sanded down a bit at a time until they fit well. And for reliable contact I had to give the nock end of my arrows a few turns on my squaring tool. But with the right fit I find them easy to turn off, I just hold the arrow by the nock with the arrow pointing down and shake the arrow a bit. They turn right off doing that. More convenient than needing a pin to turn off the Nocturnals IMO.

hunterjrg

FNG
I also use the Axis 5mm but switched to the Halo. Seem more durable and a good fit in the arrow.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Seems like folks have the most issues come up when using smaller diameter than standard diameter arrows.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
I like to put chapstick on the portion that goes in the carbon. If you are going to nock tune I would do it with the standard nock. Get the vane position you want, and then pop in the lighted nock. Also I would replace every one of them before a hunt. Whenever I’ve broken them it was from twisting them.

curtyj23

FNG
Check out the Flying Arrow Archery Jupiter nocks. I just picked up a package and been messing with them. They shoot well and tune well also. I shoot 80lbs so I was a little hesitant they would hold up but they seem to be doing well. They come in a 6 pack also for like $45 and have the easier on/off switch than the nocturnals.