Light weight base camp tent...fast setup?

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a new base camp tent for sleeping at the truck. Would like to have room for a couple cots and gear. First priority would be fast setup and take down. What do you guys think?

My Seek Tipi sets up and tears down really fast. It's not the most efficient use of space, but it works well and doesn't take up much room in the truck or in a backpack. I'm starting to learn that the fastest truck setup is to have a hard topper and sleep in there. Larger wall tents are nice for a base camp, but they all take more time to set up. Not much more time, but still not the most fun thing to do late at night in the dark.

vladkgb

FNG
Kodiak Canvas FlexBow
+1 if you need all that space this is the way to go, i ran one for 15 days in the field last year.

This year, I've got a faster setup, but I'm going solo. I took my freestanding Big Agnes copper spur UL2, put my pad, sleeping bag, pillow in there, rolled it up, and use it as a bed roll. I just drop a tarp, unroll the rolled up tent with everything in it, pop it up with the sticks, inflate the pad, and i'm good to go. In the morning, deflate the pad while i sit on it drinking coffee, remove the sticks, roll it up, throw it in the truck. Way faster than having to pack/unpack each item.

Jon Boy

WKR
Cabelas Outback lodge has my been my go to for 15 years. Lots of room and affordable. I have the 10x10 and have tons of room for 2 cots and as much gear that 2 guys could have. Takes about 5 min to set up. 4 corner stakes, center pole, 4 mini corner poles and then how ever many guy out points you want.

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
If you can find a cabelas Alaknak 12×12, I'd go that direction. Picked up a brand new one on Facebook marketplace for $150 and it's solid. Can set up by myself in 15-20 minutes, and bucks wind and snow like a champ.

If it's gotta be lightweight a tipi design is probably it.

Those geodesic dome things are a nightmare. Ya you can do it by yourself but it's time consuming and frustrating. They are pretty stout though, like buck the wind pretty well.

Maybe a 6 man REI type tent, like a MSR Habitude or equal.

I like my Kodiak, but it ain't anywhere near considering to be light weight.
Cabela's Alaskan Guide is a solid option but I wouldn't really put it in light weight class either, though it's probably about 1/3 the weight of the Kodiak. 6 poles for the frame really gives it good structure. Packs smaller which is good. As stated above it's a little more involved than standard tents, but I've had one for about 15+ years (not the same one) now so I can put up the 6 man by myself in about 10 minutes simply because I've got it down by rote. It's not nearly as fast as the Kodiak nor your basic two pole tents, though you'll appreciate the structure the first time a storm hits and you don't have to get up to try to shore up the tent or keep it from blowing away.

Speed (fastest to slowest):
Kodiak
REI style tent
Floorless tipi
Cabelas Guide goedesic dome

Bulk (least to most):
Floorless tipi
REI style tent
Cabelas Guide
Kodiak

Storm worthiness (best to worst)
Cabelas Guide
Kodiak
Floorless tipi
REI style tent

87TT

WKR
I picked up a Big Agnes Bunkhouse 6. Thing is nice. Haven’t had it in the snow but it handled the rain and wind ok. More than enough space for two cots and gear. I really like the huge front vestibule. You could put a couple of chairs in it and eat out of the weather They also make a bunkhouse eight. I set mine up by myself without much trouble.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Is a 10x10 Kodiak FlexBow enough room for 2 cots?
Yes, but IMO, you'll want an extra 4' of cot separation. I like the 10x14 with cots at each side of the long end.

I think this is a great tent, and I use mine multiple times each year, but I find the setup to be too involved for a 1-2 night stay. I'd like to find something with an easier and quicker setup, but it seems that the only options are summer tents.

OP
J

Johnksully

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, but IMO, you'll want an extra 4' of cot separation. I like the 10x14 with cots at each side of the long end.

I think this is a great tent, and I use mine multiple times each year, but I find the setup to be too involved for a 1-2 night stay. I'd like to find something with an easier and quicker setup, but it seems that the only options are summer tents.
That's kind of where I'm at. I'm used to staying in the woods for a few days at a time...I'm hunting a unit this year that will mostly be day hunting and sleeping at the truck which I'm not used. Thinking it would be nice to sleep off the ground since I'll be at the truck. But it will probably be one night and move to new area.

Jotis

WKR
That's kind of where I'm at. I'm used to staying in the woods for a few days at a time...I'm hunting a unit this year that will mostly be day hunting and sleeping at the truck which I'm not used. Thinking it would be nice to sleep off the ground since I'll be at the truck. But it will probably be one night and move to new area.
John, Do you have room to sleep in your truck, worked great for me last tear

NB7

WKR
Kodiak 10x14. If you're thinking about it, do yourself a favor and go 10x14, well worth the extra 4'.
Perfect for 2 cots with room for a table and some gear.
Breathes, so you can use a propane heater w/out worry or condensation.
Sheds rain and snow.
I can set mine up in about 15 minutes. Take down is just as fast or quicker.
Tough and durable.
I love mine.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Kodiak Canvas 10x14. Absolutely love mine it’s perfect for 2 people. Sets up quick and is tough and sturdy. I use it way more than my wall tent which now only gets used if there is more than 2 people out for more than a week.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have an REI Base Camp 6, it is a great tent, but it takes awhile to properly setup with all the guy lines and staking required to ensure it will handle bad weather. My Kodiak 10x14 is much faster and no guy lines required. It will handle bad weather. I just a 18V impact drill and lag bolts so the stakes area a breeze. I think the cheapest and fastest option would be a large 2 pole 6-8 person tent. This can be setup fast and will hold your gear. This would not take up much space in the vehicle and you can move fast. The downside is it will not handle bad weather very well. Many of the 2 pole tents have a lot of mesh and not a full length rain fly. I would evaluate where you anticipate camping and go from there.