Lifelock Identity Theft

CorbLand

WKR
@robby denning are you trying to buy a toothbrush? We have considered lifelock as well. My company offers a service from identity force. I haven't had anything come on it other than compromised emails and stuff. We also pay for a password app (LastPass) which checks the dark web for data. I work for a pipeline company so cybersecurity is a hug issue. Last a I heard, we get hack attempts every minute.
I have seen pictures of Robby smiling. He needs a teethbrush.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
We've got it. Started a fresh checking account the other day for non-wife related hunting expenses. (before anyone gives me the "don't hide s*#t from your mrs" speech, she knows about it and doesn't care). Anyway, to start the account they had to check my credit, before I was finished my phone got a text from LifeLock letting me know about the activity. Guess if nothing else that kind of stuff makes me feel a little better about the lower chances of someone stealing my identity.

fwafwow

WKR
haha I figured someone would post that. It was a bummer. I should have went with Password1. By no means am I recommending it but it is what we have and have had.
Sorry my post was so terse - it wasn't meant to sound judgy. I had LastPass as well and switched to NordPass, but I'm still not sure that it's the right choice for me. As I've mentioned in other threads (including yesterday), it has issues. And just today they released a new version to their browser extension and it has some bugs. Their customer service is excellent in two respects - they are quick to reply, with real people. I don't always get the answers I want though.

Sorry my post was so terse - it wasn't meant to sound judgy. I had LastPass as well and switched to NordPass, but I'm still not sure that it's the right choice for me. As I've mentioned in other threads (including yesterday), it has issues. And just today they released a new version to their browser extension and it has some bugs. Their customer service is excellent in two respects - they are quick to reply, with real people. I don't always get the answers I want though.
Oh shoot. My apologies. That came out wrong on my end. I guess I am still pissed about the hole hack thing, haha. I am sorry about the issues. Did you switch after the hack? I thought about it but I just am not sure which one is the right answer. Everything is hackable......I think its good to have something that helps remind you that your passwords suck though. At least for my wife ha. She finally started making decent passwords.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen pictures of Robby smiling. He needs a teethbrush.
thank you thank you very much. I was hoping someone would notice.

hey all, thanks for all the feedback on this thread. I'm gonna go with something and will look into the Zander suggestion above, and the credit freeze. Haven't used it in over a decade but someone else might!

fwafwow

WKR
Oh shoot. My apologies. That came out wrong on my end. I guess I am still pissed about the hole hack thing, haha. I am sorry about the issues. Did you switch after the hack? I thought about it but I just am not sure which one is the right answer. Everything is hackable......I think its good to have something that helps remind you that your passwords suck though. At least for my wife ha. She finally started making decent passwords.
No need to apologize - I'm snarky too frequently, so I'm on the lookout for folks calling me out on it, which is always justified.

I did switch after the hack, and there's another thread by me on the topic. It's an ongoing saga. Perhaps I dwell on this stuff too much, but there's another thread on NordPass that I just updated yesterday. Short version - everything is less than ideal. LP seemed awesome, but now I'm leaning towards NP (or a replacement) for the semi-concerning accounts, and a local file/key solution that's not in the cloud for $$ accounts.

YubiKey is cool in concept, but I'm running into so many issues with companies that either don't use it, or don't seem to know how to use it. Norton is just the latest with a practical problem I've encountered. I should probably just take medication.

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has had a life lock account for a few years now after someone tried to open a credit card in her name and then forward her mail to an address in FL. She had been pretty happy with it, but no experience with other similar products to compare against.

Someone "gifted" me a lifetime subscription to LifeLock years ago.

Can't say I've personally ever gotten any use out of it, but I try to keep my information pretty locked down.

I should mention I also use the credit freezes w Lifelock but just a pia unfreezing all three and then refreezing….passwords

TFrank

WKR
Credit freeze. Just make sure you freeze all three ……. Equifax, TransUnion, and Experion.
You have to freeze all 3? I have it frozen on experion. I have Norton mostly got it for the vpn.

I searched up this topic as Norton helped me out. Said I was a victim of synthetic identity theft? Gave me a to do list, still trying to navigate through it…

Don’t have a full understanding of these things yet.

TSAMP

WKR
You have to freeze all 3? I have it frozen on experion. I have Norton mostly got it for the vpn.

I searched up this topic as Norton helped me out. Said I was a victim of synthetic identity theft? Gave me a to do list, still trying to navigate through it…

Don’t have a full understanding of these things yet.
Yes, all three

I use Zander. I think most of the monitoring is BS so for me, it boils down to which company is the most useful in resolving the situation after you're a victim, and I think thats Zander. I think it is like $10/mo.

PLO5

WKR
I have GEICO identity theft coverage. Much less expensive and a lot of same benefits. I had life lock a few years back but stopped due to its cost. Don’t quote me but I think i remember its only a few bucks more to add your wife if you both open an account.

manitou1

WKR
Like JimH406 stated... go to all three credit bureau accounts and freeze your credit.
They (or you) will not be able to do anything with credit... not even renew your cell ph account.
You have to remember to go in and unlock it if you do anything that requires credit or a credit check.

A good thing.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Life lock, which I have, is kind of like insurance, you won't know how good it really is until you need it.

fwafwow

WKR
Like JimH406 stated... go to all three credit bureau accounts and freeze your credit.
They (or you) will not be able to do anything with credit... not even renew your cell ph account.
You have to remember to go in and unlock it if you do anything that requires credit or a credit check.

A good thing.
I keep my 3 frozen routinely.