Life span of merino wool clothing

Psalmon

FNG
Hey every one, just a general question about merino wool. When is it time to get rid of it? I have a few articles of merino but they starting to get thin and a little more itchy than regular wool. Just can’t justify giving up. Any advice?

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Kuiu merino long sleeve from 2014 and still rocking it... It's the only thing I've ever owned from Kuiu that's held up over a couple years.
Convince yourself itchy feels good.

OP
P

Psalmon

FNG
That’s what I’ve been doing so far with firstlite early season hoodie but that itch is a lot better than the mosquitoes

Wrench

WKR
I have a some first lite stuff that's a decade old....and my black ovis that I wouldn't wear ever again after the first trip.

Breigham

FNG
If your merino wool is getting thin and itchy, it might be time to replace it. You could use the old stuff for less sensitive tasks or just get new pieces.

OP
P

Psalmon

FNG
If your merino wool is getting thin and itchy, it might be time to replace it. You could use the old stuff for less sensitive tasks or just get new pieces.
Yeah I’m going to have to agree. The new shirt I got feels almost as smooth as cotton.

OP
P

Psalmon

FNG
I go through merino base bottoms like crazy. They get filled with holes. My tops generally last at least 5+ years
I’m pretty hesitant about wool bottoms when synthetics hold up a lot longer for base layers

WJS23

WKR
I have a bunch of tops from first lite that I have been using for the past 5-8 years that are still as good as the day I got them just the logos have all fallen off. I had one pair of Sitka boxers that only lasted a few seasons then they just fell apart so I went back to using synthetic boxers. As far as socks go I have darn tough socks that last forever. I had some of the lighter farm to feet that I have had for 4 years and those hold up just a good but the lite smart wool ones I haven’t had good luck with them lasting as long.