Life of the draw

Will_m

WKR
I didn’t come around until after the establishment of the BP/PP/lottery system for a lot of big game. Granted, back then, everything was still pretty easy to get drawn. Then again, I didn’t have the resources available now to even know about difficult.

I was talking to an old timer who was telling me that “back in the day” there wasn’t any draw (in any state presumably, but he was specifically talking about Colorado) and that they would just pick a place and get after it. Same guy also told me he went for Dall diy in AK back in the 60’s or maybe 50’s.

Anyway, he’s not good much for much anymore other than drinking a little whiskey and entertaining.

Were these stories entertainment born of too much whiskey or is there some truth?

Reactions: Duh
OP
W

Will_m

WKR
I guess I’d say far enough back that somebody could have experienced it between 20-40 years of age and still be living to tell about it in exchange for whatever liquor you had to trade.

Not long ago NM was draw for archery but you could hunt any unit in the state. Draw an archery elk tag which wasn’t very hard and pick where you wanted to go.

Slickhill

FNG
My Grandfather started traveling to CO to deer hunt back in 1955. They got 3 buck tags each OTC back then.
My dad and his brothers started going in the 1970’s. Buck tags were OTC back then but only one per customer by that time.
I started going in 2001 and buck and cow tags have been draw only for my whole career. Though we did buy some buck tags more or less OTC in person as leftovers prior to the abortion of an online system CPW uses now.