Leupold VX3 or VX5?

Loper

WKR
I've had a 6.5 CM with a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm for a few years now. I like the scope and it has some great features, CDS, illuminated reticle, good light transmission etc. Recently, I got a 30-06 which is about 6 and half ounces lighter than the 6.5 CM. I was originally going to put the VX5 on the 30-06, but recently have been thinking about keeping this rifle relatively lightweight for general western hunting and have been looking at the VX-3HD 4.5-14x40mm at 13.4 ounces. If I get the VX3 it will be weight savings of 6 and half ounces (13.4 oz VX3 vs 19.9 oz VX5) and would still have a decent magnification and CDS, but has a smaller objective and tube without an illuminated reticle.

If I go with the VX5 the total rifle weight unloaded would be 7 lbs 9.1 ounces, with the VX3 it would be 7 lbs 2.7 ounces. For those that are familiar with both scopes, is the VX5 glass and features worth the weight penalty? Is the VX3 a significant step down, that I would regret? Do you think a total rifle package of 7 lbs 2.7 ounces is too light for the 30-06's recoil?

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a VX5HD on top of a Tikka in 30-06. A 7oz delta on the scope isn't what makes or breaks the felt recoil on this setup. Would happily endorse the scope. I like mine a lot.

The vx5 imo is worth the extra cost. I wasn’t happy with either of the 2 vx3 I had. I prefered a vortex hs over them. But the vx5, it’s been great.

Mark.c

FNG
VX-5 if it fits your budget. I recently purchased a VX-5HD 1-5x25 CZS-ZDL over the VX-3HD 1.5-5x20. I would rather invest in better glass.

HuntNTag

WKR
VX5 baby! You can save the ounces elsewhere. The glass and ability to see in lower light conditions alone make that scope worth it all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Thank you all for the feedback. I think I’ve now decided that the VX5 is going on the 30-06.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Thank you all for the feedback. I think I’ve now decided that the VX5 is going on the 30-06.

I have a few with the illuminated dots, but I find that I never actually use the dot. Wondering if anyone actually does use it?

Orchemo

Lil-Rokslider
I have a VX5 with illuminate reticle on 280AI. Was out this week out looking for a black bear. When the bear came out at the end of daylight, the red dot on a black bear, was great.

8grenade

FNG
I have both of the scopes you’ve listed. For the type of shooting you’ll be doing the VX3i will be just fine. They’re nice scopes. That being said, the VX5 is to me clearer and brighter, and has more forgiving eye relief and seems to offer a larger field of view, which makes target acquisition easier at higher magnification. If you’re willing to spend the extra on the VX5, I doubt you’d be disappointed that you did—it’s an awesome scope. The crosshairs on both windplex and duplex reticles are pretty similar. I prefer the windplex.