LEUPOLD VX-6HD 4-24X52 vs MARK 5HD 5-25X56??

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Dude let's get real and stop spreading BS about mk5s based on a problematic testing protocol.
I've spoken with serious optical experts (I'm talking guys who shoot for a living) about those drop tests and all said the methods are laughable at best.

Who? And how do they check zero retention through impacts? Hell, how do they check zero retention at all? Because I can’t find a single review that has more than a couple hundred rounds being fired at the most.

There are too many variables any of which could cause poi shift with 3' drops.
Form doesn't address any of that, and curiosly the thread is locked after results go up.

The initial thread is locked so that it doesn’t get cluttered, there is always another thread specifically to ask questions. Please point out what I haven’t addressed, and I will gladly do so. Also, contact @Ryan Avery and set up a range and shoot your rifle, your Mark 5, and your ammo and show that it holds zero. If you do, I’ll pay for your expenses. If it doesn’t hold, you stop spreading things that are demonstrably untrue about what is being done and has been done.

Oh I forgot to add: The mk5s he tested were bought from Ryan Furman (I won't go into that dudes bias) who claimed his lost zero riding in a UTV..
I smell a rat

That’s a lie. If you’re going to lie about things, at least make it things that aren’t easily provable.

Last edited:

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
both of those scopes have significant problems holding zero. Form's testing in the long range hunting subforum wrecked 2 mk 5 hds, and there are multiple threads on long range hunting where vx6's are crapping the bed from normal use in about 60 rounds.

you're in the right price range for an ATACR 5-25, NXS 5-22, or a trijicon tenmile, all of which have proven much more reliable than the leupold offerings.

Huh? You're on the crack. We have beat the literal crap out of the vx6s with zero problems. Great Scope in fact looking for another for a 7 Saum build.

SDHNTR

WKR
Huh? You're on the crack. We have beat the literal crap out of the vx6s with zero problems. Great Scope in fact looking for another for a 7 Saum build.
Put your money where your mouth is. Send him one to test. Leupold has a great warranty, right?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Dude let's get real and stop spreading BS about mk5s based on a problematic testing protocol.
I've spoken with serious optical experts (I'm talking guys who shoot for a living) about those drop tests and all said the methods are laughable at best.
Form doesn't address any of that, and curiosly the thread is locked after results go up.

Oh I forgot to add: The mk5s he tested were bought from Ryan Furman (I won't go into that dudes bias) who claimed his lost zero riding in a UTV..
I smell a rat

I don't know what you are talking about with the Ryan Furman deal. One scope came from Jon Pynch the other came from Unknown Munitions. Smells like someone was lying to ya!!

A UTV and some washboard roads might be the best scope tester on the planet. They make the drop test look easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here's a thread about those great vx6's. Feel free to go argue with these guys about how their scopes are actually awesome.

Here's a thread about those great vx6's. Feel free to go argue with these guys about how their scopes are actually awesome.

I did my own real life testing. I don’t believe everything on the internet.

I verified tracking on all my VX5HDs. What testing have you done or do you just get all your information off the internet or your man crush Form.

Attachments

• 04D36543-903D-4BBE-B829-D7D56D9B42A8.png
    04D36543-903D-4BBE-B829-D7D56D9B42A8.png
    854.3 KB · Views: 70

SDHNTR

WKR
I verified tracking on all my VX5HDs. What testing have you done or do you just get all your information off the internet or your man crush Form.
Just curious. Was that a brand new scope? Or was that after several hundred shots and twists?

ID_Matt

WKR

I smell a rat

Genuinely curious as to what the optical experts thought was laughable about the drop tests and the variables they mentioned that make it unrealistic? To me, simply dropping the gun and checking for zero is about as realistic as it comes. Isn't that the most likely thing in the woods to cause a zero shift?

I guess one could argue that the other variables could be the rings or the bedding system but that has been addressed pretty well I think. The tests have shown a fairly clear trend that some scopes work and some don't. All of them are tested the exact same.

Don't get me wrong, I like the mark 5. Have one on my PRS gun and it has served me well. Absolutely love the turrets and the PR2 reticle. Shot with a lot of big time shooters that use them, and you can bet on it that they won't shoot a match without verifying zero.

I smell a rat
I hope the optical experts to which you're referencing aren't the same canaries from Leupold who did the live, interactive video over on 24HCF a couple years ago.

I was moving away from Gold Rings prior to watching that dumpster fire display, but after seeing it, there's no way I'll support whatever it is that they have going on these days. Was like watching a left wing candidate ineffectively try to distance themselves from the defund police riots they excited and participated in a couple years back.

I'm not a Leupold Hater; I'd love to go back to supporting them. At one time I had 25+ Leupolds. But, first they have to admit that they have a problem. I had trouble with several, I moved on and have been pleased with the results.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
I hope the optical experts you're referencing aren't the same canaries from Leupopd who did the live, interactive video over on 24HCFba couple years ago.

I was moving away from Gold Rings prior to watching, but after seeing that, there's no way I'll support whatever it is that they have going on these days. Was like watching a left wing candidate ineffectively try to distance themselves from the defund police riots they excited and participated in a couple years back.

I'm not a Leupold Hater; I'd love to go back to supporting them. At one time I had 25+ Leupolds. But, first they have to admit that they have a problem. I had trouble with several, I moved on and have been pleased with the results.
I could’ve written this exact post. To the letter. My sentiments exactly.

There’s so much to like with Leupold on paper. The glass and the specs are fantastic. Big eye box and very user friendly. Until they go tits up. Same with Swaro!

I could’ve written this exact post. To the letter. My sentiments exactly.

There’s so much to like with Leupold on paper. The glass and the specs are fantastic. Big eye box and very user friendly. Until they go tits up. Same with Swaro!
SD:

In addition to the reliability issues I experienced with them, Leupold doesn't offer a lot of configurations I'd find all that useful. The majority of their scopes are SFP, and what they do offer in FFP reticles aren't the best available for hunting IMO (I should include that I haven't perused their lineup in years, so perhaps they are currently offering something more to my liking). I'm just not a fan of 15x and 18x SFP scopes for big game hunting. I'm not really a fan of 15x or 18X FFP scopes for big game hunting, either.

Funny you mention Swaro. Quite some time ago they were the first non Gold Rings I bought after having issues with a couple. Imagine my disappointment to learn that I jumped from the pan to the fire. Lots of time and ammo needlessly burned for a few years. I still remember we'll the first time I took an NF to the range after having recurring dialing issues with several scopes; it felt like I had exorcized a demon.

SDHNTR

WKR
SD:

In addition to the reliability issues I experienced with them, Leupold doesn't offer a lot of configurations I'd find all that useful. The majority of their scopes are SFP, and what they do offer in FFP reticles aren't the best available for hunting IMO (I should include that I haven't perused their lineup in years, so perhaps they are currently offering something more to my liking). I'm just not a fan of 15x and 18x SFP scopes for big game hunting. I'm not really a fan of 15x or 18X FFP scopes for big game hunting, either.

Funny you mention Swaro. Quite some time ago they were the first non Gold Rings I bought after having issues with a couple. Imagine my disappointment to learn that I jumped from the pan to the fire. Lots of time and ammo needlessly burned for a few years. I still remember we'll the first time I took an NF to the range after having recurring dialing issues with several scopes; it felt like I had exorcized a demon.
Yes, I went through a very similar transition. Problems with Leupold, then “upgraded” to Swaro. Loved them until I had problems. Multiple problems. Moved to Nightforce and had a huge ah-ha moment. Done searching.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm no "optical expert" but It's interesting that variables don't seem to matter to certain scopes no matter how many times you test them.

Clearly that’s only because I (and you I guess) am lying, because I give a flying flip if a scope passes or not.

Talked to a guy that sent his NF back cause it wouldn’t track. My Leupold’s track fine.
Its only a matter of time before they stop. I was high on the VX5HD and VX6HDs until I had zero shift problems. Anything mechanical can go wrong, but I travel all over the country hunting and was tired of rezeroing my scopes every time I get to my destination. My 4-24 VX6HD would shift several inches high and to the left…every single time I flew with it. In the last 12 months I have sold all my leupolds and everything has a tenmile or nightforce NXS or NX8 on it. I still check zero every time I get to my destination and all have held since I made the switch.

My tenmile got the living crap kicked out of it on my alaskan moose hunt. It was in a hard case with no padding packed with a tripod and ammo and trekking poles etc. watched the chubby lady behind the counter body slam it on the conveyor belt. Went through 3 flights each way, a boat wreck, dropped it mutiple times on tundra from my shoulder. Killed two moose with it, no zero retention problems. Took the same gun elk hunting on horseback, still held zero. Peace if mind is what you get when you buy the right equipment.

My buddy has sent back 2 VX6HDs and Mark 5 to have the erectors replaced.

I think we might be members at the same range. If you ever want to meet up and throw some lead out to 1250, let me know. We can compare scopes :)

Last edited:
I stopped doing this, at least when driving somewhere. No need anymore. Waste of time and ammo.
Yeah, I am too that point. You do it for so many years and are constantly checking and rezeroing and you just accept that it is the way it is. But it doesn’t have to be. After see what all my scopes went through this year and still held zero, I won’t be wasting any more ammo with zero checks.

Choupique

WKR
Current owner of a Mk 3 HD on top of a 338 win mag.

Time will tell. Coming up on 140 rounds down the pipe without trouble but its been babied.

Since I've started playing a little extended range and twisting turrets, my next one is going to be a nightforce.