Leupold CDS Dial System

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a Leupold in the 4-12x40 with the CDS system. I did some reading on it and it seems pretty interesting and the reviews I read were better than I expected.

My hope with this is to be able to adjust out to 400-500 max and return back to 0 effectively and accurately.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this system? I've ran some ballistics on the effects of the elevation and temperature and at the ranges I'm looking at shooting, they seem minimal to me.

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
I have one and it works great. Zeroed for 200 yds and dials right in to where I want it. Have only used it out to 500.

carlc

Lil-Rokslider
Mine works great on a 300wsm. Always goes back to 0

Ray

WKR
I had my free dial made for my favorite 300 SAUM load and it worked great for hunting accuracy.

jherald

WKR
I use the CDS on elevation and windage. They work great. Only downside is you have to pay attention to how far you adjusted if you go past your zero since they dont have a zero stop feature like the Nightforce. But if you're a competent shooter you shouldnt have any issues. The CDS can migrate during travel while hiking if your rifle is strapped to your pack, its the nature of things just rubbing against the dials and forcing them to turn. Simple fix is some electrical tape over your dials to hold them in place in the field.

On my compact 2.5-8x32 the CDS is awesome.

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
I have a CDS 4.5x14x40 VX3 on a 270wsm. I have shot it out to 675yds and it works very well. The zero stop is a great feature.

bbrown

WKR
So riddle me this since I have Leupold's latest catalog but it doesn't not clarify and have asked several guys at sportsmans warehouse but no one can tell me for sure...
If I buy either the VX-2 3-9x40 or the VX-3 2.5-8x36 with CDS does it include the first custom engraved dial or is that extra? I know it will have to be ordered after with the specifics but can not tell if it will cost more on top of the purchase price of the scope.

bbrown

WKR
Thanks - I was guessing that after reading about vouchers that were included with some scope for a free dial but could not get a straight answer.

charvey9

WKR
The only disadvantage can be the effects of elevation and temp on your ballistics, but if you've already looked at that and only plan on shooting 400-500 yards its a good dial. Just make sure the data you give them is accurate for your load. For example, chrono your own speed so you know its accurate.

I still prefer the M1 or target knobs and having good dope for varying conditions.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
Works great. Spot on. Your scope should come with a voucher fir one custom dial.

OP
Hoyts n Mulies

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, seems the general response everywhere is positive. It will be some time before I have a load developed that I'm ready to settle on but am looking forward to it. Now I just have to see what pills this gun is going to like and hope they are what I want to shoot.

OP
Hoyts n Mulies

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber classic select in a 280AI. I already have a 280 rem and when I came across this one she was too pretty to pass up. I've always been more of a wood stock guy. Seems most on here prefer the Montana.