Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide Gen 2 vs BX-5 Santiam in 10x42

I'm looking to buy some mid tier glass for archery elk hunting. Used the Leupold BX-3 Mojave Pro Guide 8x42's the last few years with zero regrets. Want to move from 8' to 10's and have the opportunity to buy the Bx-4 Pro Guide Gen 2's for $490 or the BX-5 Santiams for $650. Is there really that much difference to buy the Santiams over the BX-4's?

Last edited:
The santiams are awesome. I had proguide 12x50s and Santiam 12x50s and the santiams were much better. Side note - the Kowa Genesis blow them both out of the water.

OP
mrbillbrown
Thanks for the reply. If I’m gonna step up to Kowas I’d probably buy some Swaro SLC’s. Trying to avoid a jump that big right now. Appreciate you chiming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. If I’m gonna step up to Kowas I’d probably buy some Swaro SLC’s. Trying to avoid a jump that big right now. Appreciate you chiming in.

The Kowas are better than the swaro SLCs. Optically right on par with the NL Pures, the only difference is the FOV.

OP
mrbillbrown
Wow. I had no idea. Guess I better start doing some Kowa research. Thanks for the info