Leupold Backcountry as a Talley replacement?

SDHNTR

WKR
Anyone put these one piece aluminum Leupolds through the paces? They look beefier around the screws where Talley’s often crack. Are they actually round? Or do they snap on and off a scope tube like Talley’s? Need or benefit from lapping?

Before someone says Hawkins… I don’t want the cant, nor the level.

I have one set on a Tikka. They are round and do not snap on like talleys. They are beefier for sure and also have bigger screws. I did not lap them and have had no issues up to this point. The rifle only has about 200 shots though. I would get another set and like them a lot more than talleys. I will say you need to pay close attention to their height measurements. They are very low compared to other brands.

I have one set on a Tikka. They are round and do not snap on like talleys. They are beefier for sure and also have bigger screws. I did not lap them and have had no issues up to this point. The rifle only has about 200 shots though. I would get another set and like them a lot more than talleys. I will say you need to pay close attention to their height measurements. They are very low compared to other brands.
Have you measured them compared to talleys? I have medium talleys on one rifle, but thinking of switching to medium back countries.

If you have/need medium Talleys you will absolutely need high backcountry rings. I don't know exact measurements of either brand off hand but I am confident you will need highs.

Edit: I just looked up the measurements. Backcountry highs are 1.08" to center tube.
Talley mediums are 1.13" to center tube.

If you have/need medium Talleys you will absolutely need high backcountry rings. I don't know exact measurements of either brand off hand but I am confident you will need highs.
Thanks, I have a scope with a 50mm bell on a rifle. If the backcountry rings are stronger than talleys it would be nice to not use a rail/ring setup

Thanks, I have a scope with a 50mm bell on a rifle. If the backcountry rings are stronger than talleys it would be nice to not use a rail/ring setup
1003221837_HDR~2.jpg
4-16x50 Trijicon, Douglas #5 barrel contour. It does not touch the barrel but it is pretty close. These are Backcountry highs.

I've got 4 sets of these mounts on a .300 wby, 2 .270 wins and recently a 7mm-08. Never had any issues and easy to mount. Scope does not snap in and just sits in place. I use the high mounts on the 50mm objectives and mediums on my 44's. Just ordered another set to replace the rail system on my .300 win mag. Lapped the first three installs but not the last one I just did on the 08. Leupold calls for a 28 inch-lb torque on the bases.

28 in lb on bases? No way with 6-48! And that even seems like too much with 8-40’s.

Really happy with Leupold Back Country on my T3x Superlite with Trijicon Accupoint. Rock solid mounting. Lightweight, low profile. Plenty of clearance.PXL_20221225_034124204.jpg

Is there any reason why you can’t turn them around to face either direction for more mounting versatility?
No, they can be turned. In my case (for me personally) I felt it impeded my ability to quickly turn adjustment ring for scope zoom as it out it so close to fingers/knuckles especially with gloves. Ring spacing/depths and screw lengths allow to be turned in either direction. I normally space as far apart as possible but not an issue for me and rifle is chambered in 30/06 and have out 240 rounds without issue through it.

Really happy with Leupold Back Country on my T3x Superlite with Trijicon Accupoint. Rock solid mounting. Lightweight, low profile. Plenty of clearance.View attachment 491869

Can you or someone else with the Back Country Tikka rings put a caliper on these rings and let me know the width of an individual ring front to back? It should be like 0.5 to 0.7 inches or so. I have a short scope and might need these instead of my DNZ Game Reapers which have relatively thick rings.

The Remington or other versions might be the same width but who knows.

Leupold isn't great with detail dimensions on their rings.

Thanks for any help.

I ran into an issue mounting a trijicon credo on a weatherby Mk V 9-lug with the talley mounts, the magnification adjustment ring bumps up against the talley base.

Does anyone know if the leupold back country mounts have lower profile bases compared to the ring height?

My other solution is to switch to a rail and rings.

Can you or someone else with the Back Country Tikka rings put a caliper on these rings and let me know the width of an individual ring front to back? It should be like 0.5 to 0.7 inches or so. I have a short scope and might need these instead of my DNZ Game Reapers which have relatively thick rings.

The Remington or other versions might be the same width but who knows.

Leupold isn't great with detail dimensions on their rings.

Thanks for any help.
Sorry just saw this.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpeg
    IMG_0003.jpeg
    393.6 KB · Views: 38
Back