Leupold Alumina covers on non leupold scopes

jjjones7

FNG
So simple question. I think the leupold Alumina scope covers are the best thing going. I was hopeful that I could use them on a different brand of scope. Even though the other scope is threaded (both have 44mm objectives) they are different. Is there some adapter available that can be screwed into my threads that the alumina cover would thread into on the other end. I know camera guys use a bunch of different filters and such so just wondering if something like that may exist. Maybe Doug from cameraland will see this and be able to answer.

matthewmt

WKR
Same question from me not pumped on the vortex offerings personally.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jjjones7

FNG
Thanks for the reply Doug. I was hoping maybe the camera world may have something. Any other scope cap recommendations that aren’t cheap plastic garbage?

aadlands.......

IMG_0451_zpsiyrj9zw8.jpg

IMG_0437_zpso7siok0x.jpg

IMG_0436_zpskaaxx6he.jpg

Tightwad

FNG
Plastic. But they are tough, nothing like BC's. And warranted for life....

MK Machining makes some similar, but not quite as heavy-duty....
I had a set briefly, they're 3D printed plastic. Built heavy duty that's for sure, but mine were so hard to open and loud doing so that every critter in the neighboring counties would hear me open them. Returned them for a refund.

The aluminum ones from Leupold are the best ones I've found, sure wish other scope mfg's would catch on.

OP
J

jjjones7

FNG
What someone needs to do is get the thread size of a myriad of different sized scopes and machine adapters so they could be used on different scopes, Or make the whole housing so you take the cap part and the two O-rings off the leupold ones and put them on one that fits your scope.
I have a lathe but am unsure if I could determine the size let alone machine the threads. At this point I’m thinking of machining the threads down on them to where they just slide in my threads and then steel bedding them in. Objective would be money but the eyepiece if someone else ever shot your gun with different reticle focus they’d be crooked and eyes do change over time also🤔

Lwing

FNG
I agree Alumina caps are by far the best. There is a camera guy that makes custom adapters and I contacted Leupold to ask for thread pitch and they wouldn’t give it up.
Tennebraex also has adaptors and I believe they have the capability to make a custom adapter.
The alumina caps keep me loyal to Leupold, surprised no other company has been able to figure it out.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Leupold 50mm alumina’s on my nightforce 50,s and thay work perfect, so they do work for NF but can’t say for others. Also this is the objective only, haven’t tried the ocular.

Attachments

• C6606D05-2084-481D-AD10-CEE9FB0873C5.jpeg
    C6606D05-2084-481D-AD10-CEE9FB0873C5.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 58

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
I put the 32/33mm Leupold objective one on my NF NXS Compact as well. Had to use a Tenebraex cover for the ocular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobber

FNG
Hmmm... I do love the Alumina scope caps. Picked up a NF NX8 and the 50mm Alumina threads right into the objective. Definitely a keeper!

Problem is the 36mm ocular.
Now you've got me thinking.
There should be a way... :unsure:

More to follow...

Last edited:

Gobber

FNG
Thought I’d try my hand at forming an adapter ring that would slip onto the outer NF NX8 ocular tube body since there are no exposed threads on the inner scope tube - pretty straightforward. Later I might add a cinch-down section to the outer ring like the Tenebraex adapter has, just need to source the threaded insert. The interesting part of this project is fabricating a 38ish mm inner diameter thread that will reliably accept the Leupold Alumina scope cap. I think I have that one noodled out, more on it later.

So... First order of business is to find some forms that are close to the dimensions needed. I settled on a couple of sleeve bearing inserts that are close to the desired ID sizes- 44mm & 36mm are close enough. These bearing sleeves were pretty ideal - smooth, cheap and came in pairs.

Next was to anchor the 36mm sleeve inside the 44mm to yield a smooth surface. Don't want to bore with the nit-noid, but did some wrapping with paper strips and tape that worked quite well.

Having done tube sections before, always have a flange in order to get the tube sections off the mold. Used a bit of Lowe's green insulation foam to give a good 90deg form that is easily cut off later.
Sorry, no pics of the resin wetting work - tired of scraping epoxy off my phone. Stuff gets on everything within reach.
[

Laid up a few layers of 12K CF over the form and did a stretch plastic wrap for compression over the peel ply and breather cloth. A bit of wire tensioning helped keep the CF down into the corner of the mold.

Next morning, after unwrapping and seperating, had a pretty good blank to work with.

Next order of business is shaping and trimming out the desired ring.
After centering a medium sized sanding drum to the inner radius of the 36mm ring, I could chuck it up and begin sanding/turning it down with diamond files & sandpaper.
Large Shopvac hose seen peeking from behind vise to clear dust.

A bit more trimming and smoothing made for a pretty good intial test fit.

Next order of business is to apply a bit of PC-7 between the Alumina thread ring and inner diameter of CF adapter ring to form a threaded surface.
That will be the tricky part.
More to follow...

Last edited: