Leupold 2.5-8x36 still worth it?

Now that Leupod added $100 to all their scopes, I'm wondering if the VX-3HD 2.5-8x36 is still worth it? I know they added the zero lock, which is nice, but for $500 I'm curious what else is out there in the sub-13 oz. range a person should consider.

gbflyer

WKR
I recently bought a Sightron S1. Mine is 1.75-5, there are a couple others. I’ve only range tested it but so far I’m a fan. There are some good sales on them right now too.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Leupold website says 11.9 ounces, so it's 2.2 ounces difference if that helps you stomach it.
Not sure why you're trying so hard to convince me.

Sub-13 oz. It was right there in the original post.

And the question is whether the Leupold 2.5-8x is still worth it. Not "what else should I buy besides it"

sheesh

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Leupold on my 375 Ruger and I really like it. I can't compare it to the others mentioned but I can say that it has worked great for me so far. I bought the rifle and scope 7-8 years ago and it's the only rifle I carry now.

B-ski

FNG
I'm a fan. I have one on a BLR and I am very pleased with it. Looking at putting one on my muzzleloader as well.

Loper

WKR
Don’t own 1 but what about Maven 2-10x38?

I got one recently but haven't had a chance to give it any field use yet. I want to compare it to the VX3HD 3.5-10X40 (just over 13 oz) so I just bought one recently. Will likely compare it to the Vortex Razor 1.5-8 (just over 13 oz) as well. I'll report back on my thoughts.

OP, I realize this doesn't answer you question about the Leupold 2.5-8. I don't have any experience with this scope.

Another alternative to look at is the SWFA ultralite. I think that is like 9 or 10 ounces and less than $400 if I'm not mistaken.

I killed the vast majority of the big game animals I've harvested with a Leupold 2.5-8 of one iteration or another. At one time I must've had around a dozen of them. They were all used in set it and forget it capacity, no dialing. Some of them had trouble getting sighted in, but once you got it where you wanted it, they usually held. Did have one go bad on a 35 Whelen. Was on there 15 plus years and had been shot and used a lot. All of a sudden groups opened up. Put NF 3-10 on it and groups were nice and tight again.

So, I wouldn't make a statement that one won't serve you well, but I will state that I've moved on and haven't carried a Leupold of any configuration for some time. While I only had trouble with 1 2.5-8, I had bigger troubles with other Leupolds. IME, there's better options out there.

You won't likely find a rugged scope that meets your weight requirement, but then, I don't know how a few more ounces can really be that impactful on the ultimate efficacy of a scoped rifle. Not saying I care to carry more weight than I have to; however, I do care to carry a scope that's going to consistently put the bullets where I need them to go, and, based on the scopes I've had good luck with, reliability seems to come with a weight penalty.