Let’s Talk Thermals and Baselayers

Which thermals are you guys running under your layering system, what weather?

This year my baselayer setup in the Canadian winter in the Rocky Mountains.

Upper
-Outdoor Research Echo Short Sleeve
-Paired w Sitka Heavyweight Hoodie

Lower
- Patagonia Merino Wool Boxers
- Sitka Core Light Weight Bottoms

This gets me down to about -7C while active.

Now when it gets cold from -7 downwards i plan on throwing on Kuiu Peleton 97 (solely getting this for the zipper so i don’t have to take off my boots and pants if i start overheating. I’d wear these over my Core LW bottoms)

Does anyone have experience with the Kuiu Peloton 97 bottoms? I’m a fan of synthetic wondering if they compare to Sitka HW bottoms or if they’re more of a midweight bottom?

P Carter

WKR
I have the peloton 97 zip off bottoms. They are awesome.

I don’t have the core HW bottoms. The 97s are a bit lighter than the material for the HW hoodie. I wear them stationary in the 30s-40s and remove them if doing any sort of sustained hiking in any temps.

They’re a great piece, though, in my opinion. Light, pretty warm, and awesome to zip off. A trick to get on, though…someone here described it like putting on a giant diaper, and that’s correct. I had a heckuva time throwing them on in a surprise squall this year…

Edit to include uppers: this year i wore Sitka core lw hoodie and kelvin active hoodie, with kuiu teton insulated jacket over top of needed and either the OR helium rain jacket (if raining) or Mountain Hardware kor strata hoodie if windy. Temps were 35ish to 70ish, fair amount of rain. This setup worked really well. So we’ll that when I went by the first lite store just for kicks I couldn’t think of anything to buy because this was so dialed in! Mid-September archery hunt for context.

Last edited:
OP
W
I have the peloton 97 zip off bottoms. They are awesome.

I don’t have the core HW bottoms. The 97s are a bit lighter than the material for the HW hoodie. I wear them stationary in the 30s-40s and remove them if doing any sort of sustained hiking in any temps.

They’re a great piece, though, in my opinion. Light, pretty warm, and awesome to zip off. A trick to get on, though…someone here described it like putting on a giant diaper, and that’s correct. I had a heckuva time throwing them on in a surprise squall this year…
That’s awesome, thanks for the response. That’s what i was thinking they were a little lighter then the heavyweight fabric by Sitka although i haven’t seen them in person that was just what i figured with what info i could find. Hence why I’m going to put them with the LW bottoms. LW+MW = heavyweight i guess haha just a little more versatile now.

Scorpion

WKR
I wear a short sleeve merino shirt with a Sitka Apex or Heavyweight. If colder I will sometimes replace the short sleeve merino with the Sitka LW long sleeve. I do like synthetic base layers when it is cold and an active type of hunt.

I will wear a Sitka Core LW bottom or a First Lite merino when below 40 F. Planning to add some more of the zip off base layer bottoms as my legs get very hot if I’m doing any amount of hiking. Currently have some FL merino zip offs but would also like to try the Kuiu Peloton 97.

OP
W
I wear a short sleeve merino shirt with a Sitka Apex or Heavyweight. If colder I will sometimes replace the short sleeve merino with the Sitka LW long sleeve. I do like synthetic base layers when it is cold and an active type of hunt.

I will wear a Sitka Core LW bottom or a First Lite merino when below 40 F. Planning to add some more of the zip off base layer bottoms as my legs get very hot if I’m doing any amount of hiking. Currently have some FL merino zip offs but would also like to try the Kuiu Peloton 97.
I agree. My legs do get hot when I’m active in the back country with a pack on. That’s why i love the Sitka LW as although I’m not using them for warmth I’m using them to wick the moisture at that point. When it’s cold i can always wear the LW without overheating at all so it’ll be nice to in theory put it with something that is zip off like the Peloton

I wear a KUIU peloton 118 SS or Sitka core LW SS on top no matter hot or cold. My temperature regulation is better when I am dry compared to merino and always being wet or damp. Next layer is peloton 97 or 240 depending on if there is wind and how much more warmth I need. Axis jacket if needed and a Kenai vest or Sitka kelvin active hoody.
Bottoms I like the KUIU peloton 97 and don’t generally need more down into single digit F or even negatives with KUIU guide or axis pants.
That system with lighter pants will go 80s or low 90s down into the negatives.