Let's talk foam

Ok, so I have been making some suspension components for a couple of incomplete older Kifaru packs. I made some omni suspension shoulder straps and an Omni belt. I really like how they turned out, and my machine can handle the thickness just fine. I used 5mm closed cell eva foam, which is very similar to the feel and size of what kifaru uses.

My question is? Does anyone know what size and type of foam or have a source for thicker foam for packs meant to carry more weight like the duplex belt?

There are a ton of websites that sell foam online, but it's difficult to sort through all the options, so I'm hoping that someone might have some experience or insight.
22e8c2c3919ab150789c6195eca332ed.jpg
1d747c4451687a11ff5a4ef6c4deb098.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I have used Sailrite's CushionRite.

Allegedly it's a Sailrite exclusive, made in America. Seems firm, durable, and has antimicrobial properties (which would be okay to get wet, be outside, etc). I don't have long term durability testing experience with it, but they are marketed for things like aircraft seat cushions which seem like a difficult use case.

I wish I could figure out what Stone Glacier uses in their packs and find a low volume domestic source.

Wrench

WKR
How about a ridge rest pad. If it's too stiff you could punch it. Edges can be ground if it needs to be thinned to sew.

OP
doncarpenter
I have used Sailrite's CushionRite.

Allegedly it's a Sailrite exclusive, made in America. Seems firm, durable, and has antimicrobial properties (which would be okay to get wet, be outside, etc). I don't have long term durability testing experience with it, but they are marketed for things like aircraft seat cushions which seem like a difficult use case.

I wish I could figure out what Stone Glacier uses in their packs and find a low volume domestic source.
Thanks! I'll take a look at this stuff.

I tried to source evazote, the same foam that McHale packs uses, but to no avail.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use 2 pound 1/2" XPE from Foam Factory for waist belts and shoulder straps. It feels similar to Kifaru belts and straps, and it seems to last plenty long. I think I saw a thread where someone from Kifaru mentioned they like it.

I agree whatever SG uses would be nice to try, but my sources have been unable to find out what it is. MR belts have some interesting stuff, too.

OP
doncarpenter
How about a ridge rest pad. If it's too stiff you could punch it. Edges can be ground if it needs to be thinned to sew.
I have thought of using this before, and yoga mats, for that matter. I might just have to start testing this stuff.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of options is right. My last two pack builds I used 2# minicell foam (I think I used 3/8” thick) for both hip belt and shoulder pads. Worked great.

OP
doncarpenter
Lots of options is right. My last two pack builds I used 2# minicell foam (I think I used 3/8” thick) for both hip belt and shoulder pads. Worked great.
I actually had some minicell in my cart at one point. I think I need to just order some samples and see what I like the best.

I have a evazote winter sleeping pad I bought at Mountain equipment Coop. You could check there.

Beendare

WKR
Maybe contact Zote Foam HERE and ask them who makes a gym or yoga mat from the stuff you are looking for.

It looks like you would have to be a pretty big order if you order directly from them

OP
doncarpenter
Maybe contact Zote Foam HERE and ask them who makes a gym or yoga mat from the stuff you are looking for.

It looks like you would have to be a pretty big order if you order directly from them
Thanks. I actually just ordered some of the XPE in some different thicknesses and densities yesterday. I'll post my thoughts whenever it arrives.

tcg144

FNG
@doncarpenter
What did you find out with your foam samples? I’m starting a pack build and only thing that I didn’t order yet is the foam.

OP
doncarpenter
@doncarpenter
What did you find out with your foam samples? I’m starting a pack build and only thing that I didn’t order yet is the foam.
Thanks for reminding me! I ordered different thicknesses and densities to try from foam factory.

I plan on using the 1/2" 2lb cross linked polyethylene for hipbelts, 3/8" for shoulder straps on heavier duty packs. I plan to use 1/4" 4lb for thinner hipbelts and shoulder straps on smaller packs.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
what fabric are you guys using for shoulder straps?
I just used SG shoulder straps and adapted them to my frame. Just took them out with 65 pounds felt pretty good. Their foam is a half inch thick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 17