Let’s talk chronographs.

Dcrafton

WKR
I have a chronograph that is about 12 years old.
I’m in the market for a new one,
I’ve narrowed it down to either a Lab radar doppler radar chronograph and a magnetospeed.
Any thoughts on these two, pros and cons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
Lab Radar is great and so is Magnetospeed. I recommend getting both. Sometimes it is handy to strap on the Magnetospeed for some quick velocity recordings.

Lab Radar has a lot of versatility. If I had To live with just one, Lab Radar wins. There are several threads on here that discuss shooting groups with the MS and the drawbacks which are issues, but there is still utility in the MS and work around for poi shifts.

Have both, haven’t used the magnetospeed in a couple years. Both are very accurate but magnetospeed had started to loosen up a time or two on the barrel. I don’t have enough range and reloading time as is so why burn any ammo/time using a chrono that impacts POI and barrel harmonics if you don’t have to?

Main downside with LabRadar is if you end up on a public range with a firing line full of shooters it can false trigger off other people’s shots. Typically if they are a couple benches down I don’t have any problems.

I’ve been around and used both since they both were made available to the public. For my uses, the Magnetospeed wins hands down. Super quick to hook up/use. If I’m at a match, I can quickly/easily verify my velocity in just 2-3 minutes. I shoot suppressed a lot so no issues with not recording the shot. POI shift is very little (sometimes zero) on my match rifles with heavier barrels when using the MS. Usually less than .1-.2 tenths.

I have both. Go with the LabRadar if funds allow. The Magnetospeed works great but changes the barrel harmonics so you can't shoot for groups and test velocity data at the same time (groups and/or POI change when the Magnetospeed is off).

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've seen both use and have used both. None of them were better than my Caldwell. I actually prefer the Caldwell over the other two.

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Labradar ! I've only had mine for 6 months but all I do it best chronograph I've had! Their is a learning curve 😉

Can only comment on the Magnetospeed. Works great. After each shot, I reverify tightness and snug down if needed. I also verify distance from muzzle. Quick and easy. Only negative would be for those that want to chrono and put on paper simultaneously.

rayporter

WKR
i have a caldwell and labradar
i set the labradar on the bench and push a button-no tripod and no fiddling. just set it down and shoot.
you will use it more if it is easy.

can you strap a magnetospeed to a pistol?
i think some will find the magnetospeed works for them very well

just thinking out loud here. i think the labradar has hurt the resale value of the MS. a used one might be a bargain.

PA_Probe

FNG
Magnetosphere changes the point of impact for me. I am looking for a method to mount it on a stand in front of my lead sled so it is not attached to the barrel.

Love my LabRadar. Control it from my phone and downloads all the data for easy viewing later on as well.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Mk Machine offers a mount for the Magnetospeed V3 which attaches to an ARCA or Picatinny rail. This takes a little extra set up time, not much once you get used to it (mark your rods), but it eliminates the POI shift.

The LabRadar, in my opinion, always takes a little more gear and a little more set up. It has far more features, and obviously zero POI influence, but it does take a little more gear to support.

Personally, I pack my MagnetoSpeed to most matches. When I’m at home, I use the LabRadar more.

This is an example of a common POI shift for a Magnetospeed - the Rifle was zeroed, as perfectly as I could ever, before mounting the MS and after removing. But while it’s wearing the MS, it shifts over this far. About 2 clicks at 100.

94F8F1B4-6E43-4321-9927-28F781CBDFEB.jpeg

I swear I’m not always a contrarion

but The 25$ Garage sale ancient chronograph I got never fails. Never.

can’t say that about the magnetospeed or labradar

I swear I’m not always a contrarion

but The 25$ Garage sale ancient chronograph I got never fails. Never.

can’t say that about the magnetospeed or labradar

I CAN say that NEITHER my Magnetospeed nor Labradar have ever failed me. Never. :)

Watched a guy shoot his chronograph a few weeks ago while he was working on load development. I also dont have to worry about that even being a possibility (not that it should be an issue, but I've seen it happen enough to know that it is).

Axlrod

WKR
I Have had 6 optical chrono's going back to whenever the first Chrony came out (mid 80's?) and a Magneto then a couple years ago a Labradar. I sold the MS after 6 months of the LR. The down side of the Labradar is the price. You have to decide if it makes sense to you. But for ease of use and always getting a reading i would not go back to anything out there now. I am NOT a "tech guy" and the first time i took my LR out I had left the instructions home. I had no trouble using it and in the many thousands of rounds i have used it i have always gotten a reading. It does need to be armed and pointed at the target. I did buy an aftermarket "sight" that screws to the top. I use an external battery pack and my phone or tablet paired to the unit. when i get home i take the SD card out of the LR and plug it into my computer. I then have an Excel file with ES, SD, ave velo., and velo. out to 100 yards.
It is not perfect. You have to remember to change shot strings when you are shooting another load. After changing shot strings you have to rearm it (push 1 button). You can't name the shot strings- they start at number 1 and go up. You can't return to a previous shot string to "add" more shots to it. About once each range session It will disconnect from your phone or tablet causing you to re-pair it (takes about 30 seconds).

Axlrod

WKR
Where did you get the sight?
I got this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aiming-sig...133497?hash=item4b5c8a9639:g:~e4AAOSw10VcU490
These guys make one too: