Let’s see your Vintage Classic Rifles

4bca7449a17fe64ad140e9c197136dd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1964 Custom Sako L61R. This was passed from my uncle. No idea who built it but they did amazing work. It was chambered in a 30cal wildcat that I couldn’t get reloads for so I had another smith rechamber it to 300h&h. Taking it after elk this year. It’s taken a few whitetail and a couple of aoudad already.

40d2ec62589052ee2348dbe16c63b665.jpg

So do I. Since I was a teenager, I have wanted a Pre 64 M70 in 270 WCF. I wanted to use JOC’s load with 130gr Nosler Partitions and put together the most capable western rifle from that period, I.E.- if I went back to the 1950’s or early 60’s what would I use? And then kill a sheep with it.

I would not be ok with a 0-300 or 400 yard rifle. It needed to be a 600+ yard system. The rifle and ammo was easy, the issue was always the optic. The scopes then, by and large, weren’t exactly meant for longer ranges. The Unertl was to large and fragile, with too small a FOV.
The WWII sniper optics weren’t really suitable either. The Enfield No. 4 Mk1. scope could be dialed, but it would require finding a good example and modifying the rifle, as well the reticle is sub par. Some of the German optics were better, however would require modifying the rifle as well. The same is with all the WWII scopes.

Years went by and every few years I would start researching again on the optics. What seemed to make sense was a 4x or 6x Weaver or Bear Cub with turrets- that seemed possible. Eventually I discovered that such a scope was built, and it was excellent- the Stith-Kollmorgan 4x off of the USMC MC-1 sniper rifle made in the late 50’s. The problem is very few were made, and are very hard to find. I looked for several years and couldn’t find one.
A few years ago, my SO bought a Pre 64 M70 in 270 for me, which meant I had to get a scope. Eventually I stumbled on a company taking vintage steel tubes Weavers and adding correct turrets- basically recreating the MC-1 scope in function. I called and they had one left, so here were are.

View attachment 420213

View attachment 420215

The collectors didn’t want it due to the modifications done to it; compass in the stock, (which I think is awesome), drilled for a peep sight on the receiver, etc.
View attachment 420216

View attachment 420217

Not sure what animals the notches are for, but I’m adding my own.
View attachment 420218

Except the recoil pad I guess, everything is Pre ‘64- mounts, rings, bases, scope, load, etc.

View attachment 420214
Am not the expert on pre-64s but I’m pretty sure they came d&t’d for receiver sights, left hand side. In fact I have a couple of vintage “W” stamped Redfields.
And I’ve cleaned more than a few cocoons and other small critters out of those old red heneycombed recoil pads😉

5a12d09ba6561f72b8ab3db21ae446a2.jpg

1969 BAR in .270. Unfortunately it doesn’t get any use so I’ve got it up in the classifieds currently. Someday I’ll acquire one again as I love the rifle!

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
1949 Winchester Model 52B With 12x Lyman Super TargetSpot Scope. This one likes Lapua ammo. I have a couple of buddies who are Model 52 enthusiasts and we get together and have our own matches. These guns are pretty darn good for their age.
IMG_8770.jpeg

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
1956 Winchester Model 52C With A 10x Unertl Scope & Lyman Metal Sights. Also shoots great with Eley.
IMG_8772.jpeg

ChrisAU

WKR
Here’s the only hand me down I’ve ever gotten, and it was acquired with the 3rd pick in a lot of rifles after my BIL and FIL got their pick. They knew I’d like it.

Pre-64 220 Swift Super Grade, when I got it it had a 50 year old Weaver on it. Just a few weeks after getting the rifle I mounted a scope on a coworkers rifle and he told me I could have the scope that was on it. I was going to do it for free so I agreed to that deal without knowing what it was and it turned out to be a mint Pre-74 Leupy 2.5-8.

IMG_8254.jpeg

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s the only hand me down I’ve ever gotten, and it was acquired with the 3rd pick in a lot of rifles after my BIL and FIL got their pick. They knew I’d like it.

Pre-64 220 Swift Super Grade, when I got it it had a 50 year old Weaver on it. Just a few weeks after getting the rifle I mounted a scope on a coworkers rifle and he told me I could have the scope that was on it. I was going to do it for free so I agreed to that deal without knowing what it was and it turned out to be a mint Pre-74 Leupy 2.5-8.

View attachment 731941

Sweet!

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
That is sweet!!! My favorite rifle is one that was sporterized that was my dad's first rifle. I try to get one critter per year with it.
Those family pass downs are hard to beat! I used to have a beautiful mannlicher sporter stocked 03a3 I kinda kick myself for selling

This one was a butchered bubba sporter when I got it so I didn’t feel bad having the smith drill/ tap it and do the clone build.