Let’s see your bird vests.

View attachment 494825
Not as traditional here but I use a Kifaru scout lumbar pack with a marsupial small bird bag attached to the Molle on the back. I’ve run the pack for years (bird bag new this season) and would never go back to a vest. It allows me to carry lots of water, first aid, layers, snacks and a pistol comfortably for lots of miles.
This is awesome!! I missed out when the hellcat was for sale a few years back. I have been trying to DIY this exact set up! Even replace the bird bag with a Sherman for short multi day trips. I WANT A HELLCAT!! Lol!! It looks great brother! Keep it up.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt upland with a pack instead of a vest.
Not the backpack my avatar, but a big multi-day pack
Granite Gear 60 liter pack weighing 2.2 pounds.
Why? Do you store your birds in a separate bag inside the main compartment or just throw it in there

Why? Do you store your birds in a separate bag inside the main compartment or just throw it in there
Much easier on my lower back hunting upland all day long solo.

Plus if I have and injured dog I can pack the dog out easily.

Easy to pack lots of water for me and the dog chuckar hunting where water is scarce.

Easy to pack out any sheds, etc. I find will hunting an all day loop.

Birds in bag on top of main compartment.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider

Easy to pack lots of water for me and the dog chuckar hunting where water is scarce.

I've used the granite gear and a Patagonia (for shorter trips) for years. For the price that granite gear pack is amazing and for all the same reasons you noted. I've known two people who have lost dogs to lions in the last couple years and they were really dicey situations. If you're in the back country chasing devil birds you need more than a small pack.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Mountain quail and grouse open tomorrow. I’ve seen lots of valley quail and a couple of grouse my last time out in the woods for archery season. Hoping to find a bunch of birds a little higher up.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Used my Filson for the first time this season. It’s really perfect for this kind of hunting. Driving around and walking old logging roads looking for mountain quail. Never more than a mile or so from the car. It was probably around 70 degrees by the time we left and that waxed canvas gets a little hot on the back but not bad with a strap vest
1694290677915.jpeg

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider

There is a lot to recommend this approach for longer days where you cover some miles. I use a strap vest but it has been on my mind to have a way to pack out an injured dog too in those circumstances and I don't right now. Someone posted up a link a while ago to some spendy Scandinavian packs designed for bird hunting but I don't see why any other backpack wouldn't work. I could see it changing your length of pull to have a padded pack strap on your shoulder but I guess no more than a thick coat would and everyone already has to be able to adjust to that. Which granite gear pack are you using and is there anything special about them that makes them good for bird hunting or is it just the 60l pack you like? I would welcome anything more that you want to share about your experience using the pack over a vest.

cjmikek

FNG
Been out with my Chief Upland Vest almost every weekend this season. Can't say how its going to hold up long term but so far very satisfied with my purchase. The ammo pouch magnetic clasp has ended lost shells. The small pocket on the shoulder strap for remote has ended searching for that when needed, and you can run the buttons through the mesh. Love the ability to carry the water on the waist band and add as many pouches as you want. Game bag seems to work better than the vest I used for years and is super easy to clean out. Highly recommend.

Attachments

• IMG_2653[2].jpg
    IMG_2653[2].jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2775[1].jpg
    IMG_2775[1].jpg
    882.9 KB · Views: 34

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I use a strap vest but it has been on my mind to have a way to pack out an injured dog too in those circumstances and I don't right now.

This is part of the reason I went with a Final Rise vest. I had to carry a dog out of the field last year on my shoulders, not fun for me or the dog. In August this year I hiked a mile out of a scouting trip with my 65lb wirehair in my Final Rise without a problem. It was pretty easy to get him in there and he rode fine in it. Packing miles out of chukar country might require a little more, but my Final Rise will be fine hiking a few miles into the sandhills.

Mike307

FNG
Another vote for the Wingworks. I’ve had mine about 6-7 years and it will probably be the last vest I will need to buy. Hauls a load and is comfortable to wear all day.

twall13

WKR
Another vote for the Wingworks. I’ve had mine about 6-7 years and it will probably be the last vest I will need to buy. Hauls a load and is comfortable to wear all day.
When I was at the Sportsman's expo last year I was checking out the Final Rise vests. One of the guys working the booth asked if I was thinking of buying one. I told him if my Wingworks ever wears out I'd probably buy a Final Rise. His response was that the Wingworks won't wear out, but he sold his for like $800 on eBay and got a Final Rise as a replacement and pocketed the difference. Since Wingworks really hasn't been selling vests for the last several years I guess there's a secondary market for used ones. It's hard to recommend them when you can't really buy them but they are fantastic if you can get one. That said, I don't intend to sell mine, it's probably my favorite piece of gear for upland hunting. I take it through some places that put more wear and tear on it than most, but it's barely showing signs of wear after 7 years of use so I don't know that I'll ever need to replace it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

tops911

FNG
WingWorks here, sad they are almost impossible to get. I got my first about 18 years ago, still going strong. 5 years ago I went to their bigger vest. The original vest worked for short hunts or hunts where there is water for the dogs. I've done hunts where I walked 10 + miles and needed to carry more water (1 1/2 gallons) and to carry a couple additional pouches. My 1st aid pouch is basically an Army improved first aid kit and the other pouch carries cable cutters, hemostats pliers, flashlight and a couple other items.

Final Rise summit on the tailgate and a Filson tin cloth strap vest above it.

vcezNTb.jpg

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Going out tomorrow. Hoping to find some quail in a prairie 1.5-2 miles from the trailhead. I’ve seen them there earlier in the year.

Love my Filson tin cloth game bag, but wishing I had a more substantial vest.

mjh

FNG
View attachment 494825
Not as traditional here but I use a Kifaru scout lumbar pack with a marsupial small bird bag attached to the Molle on the back. I’ve run the pack for years (bird bag new this season) and would never go back to a vest. It allows me to carry lots of water, first aid, layers, snacks and a pistol comfortably for lots of miles.
I know this is a little older thread but thanks for the input.

I have an Orvis vest and like it well enough but I usually run a Kifaru Hellcat for most of my hunting these days. Even bought the Orange Sherman pocket for some extra volume and visibility during bird/small game season. Just ordered the Marsupial Gear Large Bird Bag---it's on sale now to boot! Should run well off the Hellcat.